Thread: Questions from user

OptiBoard Novice

Question Questions from user

I hope that this the place to post these questions. Please redirect me if I need to be somewhere else.

I have just been prescribed bifocals, which I gather we call progressives if we are talking about not having a line?

I feel extremely lost in this world of optical terms. I didn't even realize my eye sight was that bad. How do I know if the person in the optical department can really help me know what I need?

I was advised to get progressive lenses and something called Crizal. I'm thinking that is a coating?

Do you need to have bifocal lens if you are getting prescription sunglasses? Can you even get non bifocals if you have a bifocal prescription?

What do I need to know or what questions do I need to ask when I try to have glasses made?

I know I seem spastic with the questions but I'm still in shock and denial. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Julie

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Whether or not you sunglasses should have bifocals depends on what you do with them on. I have had many patients elect not got get bifocals in thier shades only to return saying I should have got bifocals, I can't read my book at the beach or see the golf score card and the like. Now if you are going to ski down hill only or sky dive, you don't need to read much.

Yes you can get non-bifocals but if near~sighted (you need help at distance) you will have to take your glasses off to read. If farsighted (+ in distance correction) you won't be able to read at all.

For distance glasses at least, get what the doctor precribed, if you can second guess him you obviously didn't trust him enough to do your eye exam to begin with. And yes, if you are over 40 your really need bifocals whether you are ready to admit it or not.

Chip

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    You have several options:

1. PAL - Progressive Additional Lenses, also known as Progressives, Progressive Bifocals, Progressive Trifocals, Invisibles, Invisble Trifocals/Bifocals ect. When a client comes into my store needing a pair of glasses for bifocals (with a seperate distance and reading RX like you) for the first time we go after this lens. It is a nicer lens cosmetically. Also, when you get older, the old style bifocal (with the line) you will lose your intermediate (computer area), where a PAL will not.

2. Old style bifocal - Lined bifocal. Slightly less expensive, but older technology.

3. A seperate pair for distance and reading - Not a very successful way of doing things. Too much hassle with switching, and losing the glasses. I find that people come back three months later and demand a PAL be put into one.

4. Distance only - If you are nearsighted (need glasses for far away) then you will be able to take off your glasses to read. Some do this when they start having troubles with reading, but it can be very annoying.

So what is Crizal?

Crizal is an Anti-Reflection coating. It is an optional treatment, but I am a big fan of it. What happens is an uncoated lens has reflections on it and lowers light transmission through the lens to on average 92 percent. This happens from the glare from the front surface and the back. What this does is it causes ghost images, increases glare at night, and makes your eyes more tired. By getting an anti-reflection coating it allows more light transmission to a maximum average of 99.6 percent, so you get less glare, less strain, ect. Plus, it is a lot nicer looking. Also, the AR coating is more scratch resistant.

Now Crizal is just one. Actually, if you want Crizal get the Crizal Alize. It is the same thing as Crizal, but much, much easier to clean. However, it is not the only good one. There is also the Zeiss Carat Advantage, Sola Teflon, Kodak and Pentex have a good one, Hoya Super Hi Vision, and finally, the Vivex Stainless are all reputable coatings. However, there is a bad side to it as there are some cheaper coatings on the market that do not compare to these ones and can cause troubles. So stick with a good coating.

Hope that helps

OptiBoard Novice
    Oh, that helps so much! It's like being able to sit down and get information from someone knowledgeable that isn't also trying to sell you something. Thanks again!

OptiBoard Novice
    Armed with a little more knowledge, which may be a good or bad thing depending on which side of the table you are sitting, I went to visit 4 optical shops. (2 local, 2 chain)

I noticed a couple of things;
    1) none of them carry the same brands,
    2) none of them offered the same type lense (progressive) or AR coating,
    3) the knowlege of anything other than their "top of the line" was completely lacking or they didn't want to discuss alternatives

I've read on this board how important a good optician is, but even with their helpful experience they limit your options to their prefered suppliers. At least that is the way it seems from my point of view.

What do they need to know about me and/or my vision?

Julie

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by jedwards
    Armed with a little more knowledge, which may be a good or bad thing depending on which side of the table you are sitting, I went to visit 4 optical shops. (2 local, 2 chain)

I noticed a couple of things;
    1) none of them carry the same brands,
    2) none of them offered the same type lense (progressive) or AR coating,
    3) the knowlege of anything other than their "top of the line" was completely lacking or they didn't want to discuss alternatives

I've read on this board how important a good optician is, but even with their helpful experience they limit your options to their prefered suppliers. At least that is the way it seems from my point of view.

What do they need to know about me and/or my vision?

Julie
    Yep, that is the story. You ask a 100 opticians for the best PAL and you will get a 100 different answers.

I am a believer that for PAL's they work in classes and most companies have a lens in that class. For instance, a lot of stores carrying their high end PAL. It may include the Varilux Panamic, Zeiss Gradal Top, Sola One, Shamir Genesis, and so forth. With each of these lenses you get a different design, but they are all great designs and the value and benefits are comparable. You may try all of them and not be able to find a difference.

That is why I push for the better optician, because that will be the difference point.

I am an Essilor supplier. I can get Zeiss, Sola, Nikon, and Hoya products, but I deal pretty much exclusively with Essilor. Why? Well because I like the service I get. Essentially, that is the main reason. If I switched to Sola I would similarly priced products, similar products, and similar solutions. So when it comes down to it I pick another service output, and Essilor gives me the service. However, other stores may find another lens company gives them better service.

Thread Information