I hope I don't get burned for reviving this thread...
I happend to stumble on this thread while searching for an Optiboard like forums for OTs
But I've followed a similar path. Perhaps my story will help others.

I started out as an optician, here in Holland opticians both refract and dispense.
After a couple of years I got a job in a hospital, as a optician. We predominantly did basic work; VA measurement, IOP measurement (NCT), measuring spectacle power and administer pupil dilatation drops.
Here I got the chance to be trained to be what would be equal to COMT (Certified Ophthalmic Medical Technician).
Let me try to answer the questions.

...because I want to learn more, specifically in the more medical areas of my profession.
This was my motivation also. I loved my store. It's a diverse job; refracting, fitting lenses, repair work and overal dealing with customers has been great fun. However, I felt an urge to know more about the biological mechanics of vision and ophthalmic disease which I could not satisfy in the store.

Do you preffer one over the other as far as a job goes? I feel that as an ophthalmic tech, I'd learn a lot, but yet, I do not want to forsake what I do now, as I love being an optician.
Whenever I walk past a store I think back to having a wonderful time. Yet I won't go back unless I have to. Sure, I don't make any spectacles anymore and patient contact is different than customer contact, but being a COMT is diverse and very interesting. It requires an indepth knowledge of ophthalmology, tests and procedures and the skill to get the most out of your patients. So I'd prefer COMT over optician.

Would being an optician aid me in the tech job?
Yes, it would. As an optician you have basic knowledge about the eye, diseases and optica. All these topics are covered in the COMT course and being an optician will give you a head start.

Once again I'm sorry to revive this old carcass of a thread. Chances are OP is already an experienced MT by now!
But I hope this helps others surfing the web looking for answers.