Thread: Smoking

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smoking

My local hospital has banned smoking on its whole site. That means to have a cigarette, patients, visitors and staff have to leave the whole site (which is huge), not just the building. THere has been some local reaction ranging from outrage to some saying that the exercise of walking 1/4 mile will do them good

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    They did it here too. Smokers cannot even smoke in their cars if it is on hospital grounds.

They also tried it at the University here, but realized that if they had a 18 year old girl get rapped on the 2 mile walk off campus that they would have been liable, so they did not enforce it. So they instituted smoking areas instead, which makes a lot more common sense.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just quit smoking 2 weeks ago!!! So far so good!:cheers:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome to the liberal do-gooders agenda.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    as a non smoker, it doesnt bother me, but it was quite funny to see a load of old fellas hunched up in a bus shelter on a snowy icy day "to have a fag". I wonder what happens when one of them slips and breaks something

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    as a non smoker, it doesnt bother me, but it was quite funny to see a load of old fellas hunched up in a bus shelter on a snowy icy day "to have a fag". I wonder what happens when one of them slips and breaks something
    Good Lord man!

They can do that in a bus shelter over there? At least here it's restricted to public parks and highway rest areas. Anyway, what does that have to do with cigarettes?

*Note: The above was a play on a word that has different connotations in the USA and the UK.
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear brighter before you hear them speak.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake
    Good Lord man!

They can do that in a bus shelter over there? At least here it's restricted to public parks and highway rest areas. Anyway, what does that have to do with cigarettes?

*Note: The above was a play on a word that has different connotations in the USA and the UK.
    I thought it was something Baptists did to each other.

Oh. Smoking, I mean.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My local hospital hasn't yet banned smoking in the grounds yet, (it's about 3 weeks off), and when I was there recently, I was going to have a cigarette in the 'bus shelter' that was the designated smoking area, but my nurse begged me to go and stand outside the front doors instead, because the smoking areas attracted druggies, and they didn't want to have to rescue me! I went in there one time (too ill to get to the front doors, but well enough to smoke - how bad is that?!) and it was really scary! A man had found a tablet on the floor, and they were all getting excited about what it might be, but it turned out to be a Smint. (Spearmint flavour):p

OptiBoard Professional sharon m./ aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To High Abbe: Congratulations, I stopped smoking in April of 1987. It was very difficult-I really loved it & we used to call it "having a fag" using a fake Brittish accent when I was in High School (in Oklahoma) Sometimes I still miss it but I never want to have to quit again, so I probably won't start again. i'VE BEEN FAG FREE FOR ALMOST 20 YRS AMAZING.
    Last edited by sharon m./ aboc; 01-08-2006 at 09:42 PM. Reason: adding
    sharon

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Sharon. It is very hard but it is definately worth it.

911amanda
    Both of my parents are smokers who smoked in the house, in the car and everywhere in between. My mom smokes while she exercises and my dad will have a quick cigarette from the car to the entrance to the grocery store and beach Smoking parents have a Strong influnce on their children’s choice to pick up the habit, not to mention the passive or ’second hand’ effects. To be clear though: I don’t blame them for essentially what were my choices.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by 911amanda View Post
    Both of my parents are smokers who smoked in the house, in the car and everywhere in between. My mom smokes while she exercises and my dad will have a quick cigarette from the car to the entrance to the grocery store and beach Smoking parents have a Strong influnce on their children’s choice to pick up the habit, not to mention the passive or ’second hand’ effects. To be clear though: I don’t blame them for essentially what were my choices.
    \
    Amanda.

Welcome to Optiboard!

You are the winner of the "Oldest Revived Post of the Day" award!:cheers::cheers:

~~Welcome~~
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    \
    Amanda.

Welcome to Optiboard!

You are the winner of the "Oldest Revived Post of the Day" award!:cheers::cheers:

~~Welcome~~
    Johns you do realize it's a spam post right.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by k12311997 View Post
    Johns you do realize it's a spam post right.
    Si, Senor, that's why I rolled out the grey carpet, instead of the red one!:idea:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I didn't know Spam was bad for you, she's just talking about her parents. I like original Spam- fried with some cheese and peppers.

PS- I liked it back in '06 too!
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO1 View Post
    My local hospital has banned smoking on its whole site. That means to have a cigarette, patients, visitors and staff have to leave the whole site (which is huge), not just the building. THere has been some local reaction ranging from outrage to some saying that the exercise of walking 1/4 mile will do them good

Have they passed the FSC law in your state yet? just went into effect 01/01/10 here in florida, they snuck it in on us. I had never even heard of it until I started wondering why my cigs were so different.
    I can't believe they have added more nasty chemicals, carpet glue for goodness sakes! can't see how they can get away with it, I mean isn't that what all the class action cases have been about, nasty chemicals hidden inside the cig's and not telling us? now the government is making them put more chemicals in and not telling us??
    Now I really need to figure out how to quit and stay quit.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Welcome to the liberal do-gooders agenda.
    You have to wear seatbelts in cars and helmuts when riding motorcycles, yet they allow people ro ride bikes on highways. :hammer:

Thread Information