Thread: Technical Opticians Guild

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Technical Opticians Guild

When I walk home from work I tend to let my mind wander to help pass the time. Lately I had an idea for a society, group or what ever that has an emphasis on ophthalmic optics. There has been alot of complaining about the ABO putting too much of an emphasis on business skills etc. as opposed to optics (mainly in the case of the Master Certification). And that much of the CE's are all about increasing sales or just the same old dispening tips. How about a group that satifies those of us who are more interested in the technical aspects, a Technical Opticians Guild. The focus would be on education of ophthalmic opics. There would be one or two certification levels. The last would be one heck of a test something that would make Darryl break a sweat! It would be a certification level that would truley make one a MASTER of ophthalmic optics. Distance learning courses would be offered with no need to travel for these examinations. They would demonstrate what you have learned. You must complete the equations, show how to properly ray trace a lens and what not. There would be NO multiple choice. Funds earned would go to developing training materials and attempting to get lens designers to lecture on the principles of lens design. People would be encouraged to start local study groups and contribute papers to either an on-line or print journal. It just seems that many of todays Dr's are graduating with a stronger emphasis on the medical side of optometry rather than optics. This would give opticians a great opportunity to become a resourse for Dr's on the matter of optics and lens design. Opticianry seems (and this is based on the opinions of others and may not hold true) to be taking a giant step backwards while other occupations in this field are advancing forward. By not having a physical school or required demonstrations of frame adjustments and proper lensometer usage (it would be expected that these have already been mastered) this will allow those of use who do not have access to a formal opticianry education a chance to really learn and explore ophthalmic optics. Sadly this group does not exist. And it probably never will but if in 20 years I am still in this field I think I will try and start it.

What can I say I have alot of time to kill on my way home!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    While your pipe dream is laudable, just bear one thing in mind. According to US Department of Labor statistics and NFOS data I figure that less than one fifth of one percent (0.20) of all “opticians” have completed a full time, two year program in ophthalmic optics/opticianry. This level of education should be considered a minimum for practice instead of the present ABO exam.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

What skill level is needed today

Depending on how you look at the future for opticans and the skill level required could look quite different in the future.

For example: As OptiDonn would like to learn more about the lens design etc. the use of this information by a practicing optician will likely decline in the future. This due to more automation. With frame fit capable of being optically scanned in a fitting device, (a machine where the patient puts on the eyewear and the machine scans the wrap and tilt plus vertex distance and PD, DBL etc.).

Then the custom progressive lens is designed around the frame and the prescription requiring little help from an optician. No more calculations by the optician, the customer could look in a mirror and see if the frame needed adjusting to their liking, then the optican would be needed to allow for different ear heights etc.

The other direction could have more high tech choices that require technical communication with the patient and these opticans would be technical sales people with a different focus from most of todays optician.

Granted these a quit a few years away and there will need to be some licensing law changes for some possibilities to be brought to market, but I do believe the optician 25 years from now will be quite different from the otpician of today.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper Well said....................

Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH
    Granted these a quit a few years away and there will need to be some licensing law changes for some possibilities to be brought to market, but I do believe the optician 25 years from now will be quite different from the otpician of today.
    Very well said...................and that is why our large corporations are continously expanding their presence. When above quoted time is arriving they will dictate who, how, and who is or will be a retail optician which will not need any qualifications.

Occupation
    Agreed . . . and the average "optician" of today is quite a bit different than the optician of 25 years ago.

Occupation
    The whole idea is really not all that practicle. But it would be nice if such a thing existed. :D

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I would agree Donn most of the stuff that is discussed on this forum is not practical to implement. How many time have we discusses aspherics and equations that some of us are never going to use in a practical sense. I for one would love to join an organization like this, it would be a change from the current organizations that don't offer much in the way of education.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    sadly the difference between those in the UK who are qualified, and those who are not is distilled into the folowing problem - one multiple re-made a -4.00 job 4 times before the patient gave up on them. Upon visiting my coleague, he said to the patient "the problem is obvious", the patient looked confused and declared - "its taken 4 go's so far, how come it is so obvious, and you havent even touched the spectacles". My coleage repled "those lenses look like +4.00 to me"

Enough said.

I will worry about compensating Rx's properly, and the real difference between a Panamic and a Gradal... And the multiple manager will worry about his KPI's and wonder why his re-make rate is so high, and not wonder why everyone is suitable for "thin-n-lite" while he drinks his "Good with BBQ's " red wine

Occupation
    Harry,

I belong to a few other non optical message boards. One is military related and we have members of all branches and eras. We all do a lot of private messaging (off the board) through regular email. I, for one , would have no problem emailing a small group of respected colleagues to further discuss optical issues. In fact, sometimes OptiBoard is not the best venue to discuss issues of concern. So if you can find a few individuals on this board whose knowledge and counsel you respect, contact them directly. The rewards may be great.

PS. I am emailing you a embellished version of this posting.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Honestly, I think the only feasible option at this point would be to effect positive change from within the existing organizations of opticianry. First and foremost, we need to encourage the ABO (either through influencing the board members or by becoming board members, ourselves) to reevaluate the current ABO-A exam. Or, at the very least, prepare a separate Master in Ophthalmic Optics exam.

In my opinion, neither the OAA nor the ABO have evolved in a manner that will continue to reflect the future direction of opticianry. Nor has the NAO, for that matter. For instance, these organizations still place a heavy emphasis on independent opticians, though independent opticians represent only a small fraction of all dispensers, and will continue to decline in number. I think it would also make sense in the future for the ABO to become a certification body for ancillary optometric personnel as well, instead of having this reside with the AOA.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    I guess what I intended was for the group to not be a certifying body like the ABO. But to be an organization of people who wish to explore the field of ophthalmic optics in more detail and for its own sake. By having such a group it would allow members to have access to others with a like mind and learn as a group. The certifications given by the group (if there were such a group and if they did have exams) would really have no meaning. I know that when I study for something I try a little harder than when I do it for fun. A place like this would be an ideal place for some one wishing to take the ABO Advanced certification, it would not attemp to replace it, but instead offer the member resourses such as a quartly journal dedicated to ophthalmic optics, CE's that are a little tougher than usual, tutoring services, and conversation.

I think that I am getting a little carried away with an imaginary group!!:hammer:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm definetely for having a something like that out there, something that teaches the good old ways of optics. There are so many uneducated opticians out there, some that failed the ABO numerous times and they're still "optician". I took the ABO a year ago and studied my ... off and all I ever heard was how hard the test is. Even right before taking the test people were talking about how hard the test is and how many times they did not pass and they knew of an optician that failed 7 times, but guess what, she's still an "optician". Even my oh so mighty optical supervisor warned me and didn't pass the first time. I was sweating it big time and I was so afraid to pass out when we finally got to open the test and read the first question. After reading a few questions i calmed down really quick, realizing that it was actually very easy, especially the questions where they asked you to measure the seg height of a progressive, but already marked in the picture where to measure from and all you had to do is be able to use a PD stick, now hard is that. Of course I'm glad I passed the first time and maybe since I took some college courses in opticianry a few years prior have helped, but the way I see it, if you cannot pass the ABO you should not be a despensing optician without a certified or lisenced optician checking your work. I'm sure I'll get a lot of negative feedback for this one, but hey, if you're a good optician and will pass the ABO test. I'm going to take 2 more classes this semester and I am excited to being back to educating myself towards my future and my optical knowledge. What I'm afraid of is when one of these days the good old opticians are gone who will we learn from ??? So lets hurry up and teach us younger folks everything we need to know about opticianry.

Now don't hang me :shiner: for my opinion, I believbe it's a pretty good opinion :D
    And no I am not at all opinionated :hammer:

OptiBoard Professional sharon m./ aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

certification

Or, what about the people that only missed it by 1 point? I cannot tell you how many times I've heard that one. I'll bet at least 5 different people told me that they scored a 69 on the ABO exam ( you have to score at least 70 to pass.) Anyway.....I passed the abo and the ncle the first time. In fact I just got my test scores on the NCLE today. And I am very happy!!!!! I AM an optician -a certified one.:shiner:
    sharon

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon m./ aboc
    ....I passed the abo and the ncle the first time. In fact I just got my test scores on the NCLE today. And I am very happy!!!!! I AM an optician -a certified one.:shiner:
    Congratulations, you can be proud of yourself, we need more people like that out there, too many "opticians" don't take opticianry serious enough.

OptiBoard Professional sharon m./ aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by omisliebling
    Congratulations, you can be proud of yourself, we need more people like that out there, too many "opticians" don't take opticianry serious enough.
    THANK YOU.
    sharon

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Oai

OPTIDONN, hi. Perhaps you should consult the Opticians Association of Illinois. I believe they are working on bringing something to your state that may be along the lines you describe.

http://www.illinoisopticians.org/
    Shwing

Occupation
    I am, I think?!?! As far as their records show I am but I have been trying to get in touch with them about seeing if there is anything that I can do to help and of course I have never recieved a response. Oh well. If they are planning on something like this I am all for it!

Thread Information