Thread: Other opticians looking at our compensations

OptiBoard Professional William Walker's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Other opticians looking at our compensations

Let's say we use Martin's formula, and the wrap super complicated formulas.
    How do we keep from the optician down the road from telling the patient "I have your Rx in my hands, and this is definitely not it - they made them wrong" Or for an OD to look at a patient's glasses before doing their new year's refractions, and the doc not understanding that what he reads in the lensometer isn't the Rx the patient sees?

William
    William Walker

Associates in Science in Opticianry
    Associates in Science in Optical Business Management
    Licensed Dispensing Optician
    Board Certified
    Certified Paraoptometric Assistant
    American Board of Opticianry Advanced Certified
    National Contact Lens Examiners Certified

Next Goal: ABOM

Optician with Lenscrafters in Jacksonville, FL

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I see your point William, but it is really no different to adjusting power to suit a different back vertex distance. We have been doing that for decades (or should have been for high powers) and I don't think that there have been too many problems. The 'as worn' principle has been around for some time in progressive lenses (SolaOne, Zeiss Individual, Rodenstock ILT, etc) and, hopefully, the opticians down the road would realise that this may be the reason for a difference between the written prescription and the power on the focimeter. Better still, they may ring you. Perhaps I am being a little naive here.
    Anyway, I think that the optics is more important than communication issues. With luck your clients will be so impressed with their new spectacles that they won't be visiting the opticians down the road!

Regards
    David

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Certainly, you should note any prescription changes in their records, and confer with the original prescriber when necessary.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

OD Rx vs Rx produced for as worn

You may want to refer to some of the comments in this tread I started recently.

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15264

I think my conclusion from this and other feed back is similar to the comment by Darryl above this post.

The optican is responsible for adjusting the frame and lens to produce the prescribed Rx. I assume that the history of equipment available for the doctor and the 50 + year old frame which were almost all on a flat plane made the need for compensation a very minor adjustment. Over the years these compensations have become more important to deliver the doctor ordered vision from the as worn position, as opposed to the refracted position. If the optican or lab who adjusts the prescription for the lens production a record should be maintained with the order. This way an explaination as to what and why is available for any later power questions.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    write down whats been done. explain to the patient wahts been done (in lay mans terms) and explain that if the job is checked elsewhere the rx will look different. if the other practitioner cant cope with that, then get him to call you. BUT ISSUE THE ORIGINAL RX ONLY, or you will cause your self other problems (like another practitioner compensating the compensated rx

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    When the patient comes back complaining about the Rx then you check it again and it matches your compensation and if you documented it correctly on the workup then you can reference it and show the patient how it was done, plus now you have the added benifit of giveing the patient the formula if you like and telling them to take it to their optician to check it after your compensations. I find that most of the time the patient will be impressed with the calculations that went into the glasses they are wearing and if they need another opinion I have found that in my area their are few opticians that will take the time or have the knowledge to even work through the tilt equation. Ultimately the tilt compensations and changes to Rx's should be performed to benifit the patient and if they are questioning your changes have the stand in front of a visual acuity chart and check to see if they are 20/20 (if that is the best corrected vision).
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    What's going to happen in the future, if I may predict, is that the phrase "as-worn position" will be common in our industry. It will be understood that spectacle prescriptions will be raw data with which to work for lens dispensers.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk
    What's going to happen in the future, if I may predict, is that the phrase "as-worn position" will be common in our industry. It will be understood that spectacle prescriptions will be raw data with which to work for lens dispensers.
    whats goiong to happen is the many uneducated idiots in the industry, wont have a frigging clue whats going on or why, but it will be just a lot worse than now

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Mr. Sunshine!:p

Thread Information