Thread: Opt A.r. ?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Opt A.r. ?

What does OPT A.R. stand for? I have seen it after peoples names along with the usual ABO etc. But I have only recently noticed the OPT A.R. initials is this something new?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I haven't actually seen these very often but here is what they are supposed to stand for.

Optometric Assistant

Optometric assistants are primarily involved in front office procedures, optical dispensing, and contact lens patient education. The optometric assistant may be trained on the job or may have completed a formal education program and successfully completed the National Optometric Assistant Registry Examination. A registered optometric assistant will have the Opt.A.R. designation.

Optometric Technician

Optometric Technicians work directly with Optometrists in the areas of patient examination and treatment, including contact lenses, low vision, vision therapy, optical dispensing, and office management. The optometric technician may have completed a college program in optometric technology or successfully completed the Optometric Technician Registry Examination. A registered optometric technician will have the Opt.T.R. designation.

I'm sure someone else will be able to shed some more light on how one goes about getting the certifications/designations and who is the certifying body etc... This is all that I know since I deal mainly with the lab and dispensing work.

Quote Originally Posted by OPTIDONN
    What does OPT A.R. stand for? I have seen it after peoples names along with the usual ABO etc. But I have only recently noticed the OPT A.R. initials is this something new?
    Last edited by culland; 12-29-2005 at 04:31 PM.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I believe it's all handled by the Paraoptometric section of the AOA. You can visit their website at AOA Paraoptometric.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Now I am confused. I took the Certified Paraoptometric Examination a while ago. Does this mean that I am an OPT A.R.? It seems that they may be the same thing. But I guess I should just email the AOA.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does this mean optometric assistants don't have reflections?

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiDonn
    I took the Certified Paraoptometric Examination a while ago. Does this mean that I am an OPT A.R.? It seems that they may be the same thing. But I guess I should just email the AOA
    The levels of AOA's paraoptometric program include:
    1. Certified Paraoptometric (CPO)
    2. Certified Paraoptometric Assistant (CPOA)
    3. Certified Paraoptometric Technician (CPOT)
    "Opt. AR" may be a paraoptometric certification from a different certifying body, though I'm not familiar with any other national certifying agencies for paraoptometrists -- other than the AOA program. Or perhaps "Opt. AR" is an older designation for one of these other certifications.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Does this mean optometric assistants don't have reflections?
    I'm not sure. LOL

Can an optiboarder who is an Opt A.R. stand in front of a mirror and let us all know if they have a reflection?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Found a little more info on this:

This certification/registry is conducted throught the AOA now. So I would contact the AOA and ask to speak to someone in the Paraoptometric area about any qustions. Apparently the AOA took over the program in 1999. The program used to be conducted by the National Paraoptometric Registry. During this time the Assistants and Technicians took the National Registration Examination offered by the National Paraoptometric Registry to gain the credentials OPT A.R. and OPT T.R. Now that the AOA has this program, they reorganized it into the three programs that Darryl spoke of CPO, CPOA and CPOT. Hope this clears things up. So if you passed the exams this last couple of years from the AOA you are current whereas people still using the other abbreviations are from an organization that no longer exists and might not be current on CE etc... The AOA would have all the pertinent info on these programs and how they relate to the old certifications.

Thread Information