Thread: It's just too quiet around here for me.

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

So I'm sitting there watching "Sponge Bob Square Pants" with my daughter the other day and originally thinking "How stupid can a cartoon get?" but then I start paying attention to it. Not only is it a stupid cartoon but really funny if you pay attention to the content.

For those of you that aren't familiar with Sponge Bob (I feel that I know him which is why I'm calling him by his first two names :-) he is a sea sponge. He is the shape of an ordinary kitchen sponge and wears pants that are square (of course) because that is his basic shape.

Now Sponge Bob's best friend is a star fish that isn't real bright and a squirrel that for some unexplained reason lives under the ocean in an undersea bubble where she can breathe air. When the squirrel isn't in the bubble she dawns a deep sea diving suit and wanders around in the ocean having adventures with Sponge Bob and his friends.

My two favorite episodes were the one where a plankton was trying to teach Sponge Bob to be assertive and the other was Sponge Bob's first encounter with the squirrel. Sponge Bob wanted to impress the squirrel with etiquette and boasted of not needing to be in the water to breathe. Etiquette was taught to sponge Bob by his starfish friend that told him "When in doubt pinkies out." in other words extend your pinky when you do something that you think requires etiquette. To make a long story short ole Sponge Bob starts to dry up and has to admit that he wasn't what he portrayed himself to be. But he is forgiven and they all stay best friends.

So why am I bringing this up? I have no idea, but I'm bored and it makes for really strange conversation doesn't it? :-) I would have to relate it to the national anthem thingy in a very round about way. Here's what I mean; I use to watch Ren and Stimpy (great cartoon) My favorite episode was where cousin Sven comes to visit and he and Stimpy play a game called "Don't Wiz On The Electric Fence". Well anyway, there was another episode called "The Royal Canadian Mounted Yaksmen" and they would sing the Canadian national anthem. It went a little something like this although I can't remember the whole thing. (Sung to the tune of "My Country Tis of Thee") "Our country smells of trees. Our Yaks are really big and they smell of decaying beef carcasses." That's all I remember.

I guess we will need some verification on this though. Shwing...? Maybe you could shed some light on this subject? :-)

It's great having kids because you can watch this stuff and blame it all on them :-)

Take care and I hope I can find something else to occupy my time with ;-)

Darris "Who can forget 'Billy The Beef Tallow Boy' and 'Log'?" Chambless :-)

PS. "Ventura Highway" is on the radio and I'm feelin' a little mellow :-) and No I'm not on drugs.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Darris, Have you seen Angry Beavers??? That blows Sponge Bob away (and I like SB) Especially the episode in espanol with subtitles.

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Marvin Martian!!! Hands down no contest for me. 'I am going to blow up the earth with my Q-45 space modulator' Sorry it is still funny!! I also like Pinky and the Brain and the Animaniacs. Can you tell that I am not all there?!!!LOL!!!
    Have a great one guys!!
    Steph

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Thumbs up

Darris,
    My favorite Sponge Bob episode would be when Sponge Bob has the dream and gets into everyone else's dreams... Everyone is doing fantastic things- except for the starfish, who is just riding on a mechanical pony ride (till he runs out of quarters). Heh, heh (and yes, I have a 4 and a 6 year old, so Sponge Bob is on my viewing list, too).

For us "adults," however, I think one of the funniest cartoons of all time has to be the Simpsons. Very cleverly written (try saying cleverly 10 times real fast :) )! The comedy is on so many levels (like when they show Principal Skinner in prison and his number is 24601- like in Les Miserables). I bet I could name at least 50 characters from that show...

The "PJs" is pretty funny, too. Also, there is some cartoon on Nick that's always on when I get home that seems pretty funny (I'll have to get the name, but its about this very smart creature who is always scheming to take over the world). "Family Guy" has its moments (as you can tell, I'm a Fox Network junkie). Non-cartoon favs have to include "Becker," "Raymond," "That 70's Show."

When I was a kid, though, NOTHING beat "Speed Racer." And Chip and Dale has to be the best cartoon characters ever created (wish there were more cartoons with them in it, though). The great thing about the old cartoons (i.e., Bugs Bunny), is that you learned classical music without even knowing it (this was no accident, coincidentally). Watch Bugs again and realize that the typical American's exposure to classical music came on Saturday morning.

On to Fall, I'm looking forward to seeing "Dark Angel," and "Gideon's Crossing." I also want to see where they go with "Frasier."

Pete "I watch TV while I'm on the treadmill, so its okay" Hanlin

OptiBoard Novice

Whatever happened to "Ren nad Stimpy"? That was the best cartoon since "The Flintstones". I still have the tapes, but they just kinda faded away when the whole "rugrats" thing exploded. And what do kids see in Rugrats? They're buffugly.

I have so little work to do today......

------------------
    jason Boucher
    Practice Manager
    Cambridge Hospital Eye Center
    Eye Consultants of Cambridge

Thread Information