Thread: wat design VARILUX LIBERTY is???

Bad address email on file

wat design VARILUX LIBERTY is???

wat design is VARILUX LIBERTY , wats the advantage & disadvantage compare with other PALS?????????????

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cnet_baby
    wat design is VARILUX LIBERTY , wats the advantage & disadvantage compare with other PALS?????????????
    The Varilux Liberty is Essilors budget short corridor lens, with a minimum fitting height of 18mm. Distance is OK, Intermediate poor, and reaqding good. The reading power is available pretty quickly at 14mm below fitting cross, the trade off is a much reduced intermediate area on the lens.

The lens is primarily designed to Woo bifocal wearers, who presumably like to move thier eyes down 14mm instead of 4 or 5mm to get the full near power. I think we should treat it as I said above, as another reasonable bugget short corridor PAL/PPL. Its available in the usual lens materials and coatings

Put another way: Vauxhaul have re-released the Corsa (looks like a small version of an Astra to me) into the budget small car market, which looks a bit like the new Ford and Citroen offerings into the same market. The new car is available with all the normal colours and metalic as an option

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    The Varilux Liberty is Essilors budget short corridor lens, with a minimum fitting height of 18mm.
    This is the first time I heard this about the Varilux Liberty. I have been lead to believe the Liberty is a Bifocal conversion lens.

Theory: Patient's wearing a lined bifocal will be able to more easily adapt to the Varilux Liberty. Once in the Liberty you could then (then having two meanings now :)) convert them to a Comfort/Panamic (starting Jan 9th Physio).

Personal experience has shown the lens to be a bit too much of a niche' product to have great success with. If we do 1 pair (out of approx 250-300) a day, I would be suprised. Our best success with the lens has been for children who need a multifocal lens.....not a great deal of those.

Personal opinion of myself and many of our customers has been, "What am I supposed to do with this lens?" "Why don't I just put them in a Comfort/Panamic/Definity/Summit ECP/GP Wide/Individual/SolaONE?" "The people who are wearing lined bifocals are doing so because they don't want to pay for a no-line"

I will bounce the 'budget' short fit lens off some of the Essilor folks next week. Again, I have never read/heard of using the lens for that purpose.

Adam
    Last edited by Cherry Optical; 12-30-2005 at 11:32 PM.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Optical
    This is the first time I heard this about the Varilux Liberty. I have been lead to believe the Liberty is a Bifocal conversion lens.
    I'd have to go with Adam on this one. Liberty's corridor length isn't really any shorter than Panamic's or Comfort's, and I don't know that Essilor has ever described it as a "short corridor" lens design. Generally, they only speak about it in the context of bifocal conversions. Though it would probably be a bigger competitor to SOLAMAX, not SOLAOne.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper to cheap.................................

"The people who are wearing lined bifocals are doing so because they don't want to pay for a no-line"
    There are actually some that do not want a no-line

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The number one reason why I have people refuse a no-line is not price, it is reading area and periphery optics. I have several patients whom I have fit with Gradal Top, or Comfort.. even tried to convert one with a Libety.. who just feel that they have to have decent vision through the whole lens. Of course many of these are also patients who feel like a bigger lens is always better too. At my current shop, I have had three non-adapts. And 2 went with a an 8x35 and the other went with a FT 45...

The complaints I heard was "How can I look into the periphery to check traffic when wanting to merge, I don't want to have to turn to see!" "I don't want to move my head when reading my spreadsheets at work" Etc...

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Good post.........................

Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee

The complaints I heard was "How can I look into the periphery to check traffic when wanting to merge, I don't want to have to turn to see!" "I don't want to move my head when reading my spreadsheets at work" Etc...

Cassandra
    Thank you Cassandra....................You just made made my year 2005.

I am just wondering why everybody hashes progressives as the perfect solution for everything and anything. I was really wondering if I am the only lonely insane poster on the Optiboard that dares saying what your quote says.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Thank you Cassandra....................You just made made my year 2005.

I am just wondering why everybody hashes progressives as the perfect solution for everything and anything. I was really wondering if I am the only lonely insane poster on the Optiboard that dares saying what your quote says.
    We dont Chris. I think my post was quite measured. Progressives are an option for presbyopes, not the only option

Fitting presbyopes well is the art balancing the best comprimise for the patient

options for presbyopes include
    • Bifocals
    • single vision
    • PAL
    • contact lenses
    • occupational lenses
    • trifocals
    No option is 100% the right option for 100% of the time

A PAL in its own way has limits, good points and problems, just like a FT28 or FT35

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Theory: Patient's wearing a lined bifocal will be able to more easily adapt to the Varilux Liberty. Once in the Liberty you could then (then having two meanings now :)) convert them to a Comfort/Panamic (starting Jan 9th Physio).

Personal experience has shown the lens to be a bit too much of a niche' product to have great success with. If we do 1 pair (out of approx 250-300) a day, I would be suprised. Our best success with the lens has been for children who need a multifocal lens.....not a great deal of those.

Personal opinion of myself and many of our customers has been, "What am I supposed to do with this lens?" "Why don't I just put them in a Comfort/Panamic/Definity/Summit ECP/GP Wide/Individual/SolaONE?" "The people who are wearing lined bifocals are doing so because they don't want to pay for a no-line"

I will bounce the 'budget' short fit lens off some of the Essilor folks next week. Again, I have never read/heard of using the lens for that purpose.

Adam
    Go to www.essilor.co.uk. They're marketing the Liberty as a "cheaper Varilux" over there, and as a "bifocal replacement" here. It can be either, really.

That said, we have really great success with it in younger presbyopes. The clear(er) distance periphery and the wider reading areas are great for first-timers. Over a +2.00 or +2.25 add and you'll run into problems due to the reduced intermediate, but we do have a few patients that are a +2.25 add, and wear it with no problems.

While Chris will do his PAL-martyr routine in every single one of these threads, I don't think I've seen one single person on Optiboard recommend PALs for every single presbyope. Sure, there are some comments that are not worded well, like the "The people who are wearing lined bifocals are doing so because they don't want to pay for a no-line" comment above, but those are the exception.

Can every presbyope benefit from a PAL? Certainly, but not every presbyope will benefit in the way they expect to, so they'll either opt not to get it in the first place, or go back to the solution that works best for them. My job is not to provide the greatest profit to my employer, my job is first, to make the patient happy, and second, to help them see as well as they can.

If a photogrey executive trifocal or a round 22 is what it's going to take, that's fine. I comped a premium AR coat for a patient the other day, because I felt strongly enough that he would benefit from it, and he didn't want to pay for it. Could he have? Most likely, but he didn't see the need. Rather than hard-sell him, which I hate to do, I'm going to show him the difference. I'm just glad the AR rep was out the other day with a few freebie certificates. :)

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee
    The complaints I heard was "How can I look into the periphery to check traffic when wanting to merge, I don't want to have to turn to see!"
    Ummm... I can't be the only one that caught this one. :finger:

And we wonder why auto insurance is so expensive.

Adam

Head check, head check, head check.... Especially when merging!

Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    The Varilux Liberty is Essilors budget short corridor lens, with a minimum fitting height of 18mm. Distance is OK, Intermediate poor, and reaqding good. The reading power is available pretty quickly at 14mm below fitting cross, the trade off is a much reduced intermediate area on the lens.

The lens is primarily designed to Woo bifocal wearers, who presumably like to move thier eyes down 14mm instead of 4 or 5mm to get the full near power. I think we should treat it as I said above, as another reasonable bugget short corridor PAL/PPL. Its available in the usual lens materials and coatings

Put another way: Vauxhaul have re-released the Corsa (looks like a small version of an Astra to me) into the budget small car market, which looks a bit like the new Ford and Citroen offerings into the same market. The new car is available with all the normal colours and metalic as an option
    I was under the impression that the Ellipse was Essilors short corridor PAL. Liberty is a replacement for the Expert which has just been discontinued. Results so far are very encouraging, no non tols yet! I am looking forward to the Vx360 being introduced soon. Results of the new computer lens have been excellent.

Lewy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewy
    I was under the impression that the Ellipse was Essilors short corridor PAL. Liberty is a replacement for the Expert which has just been discontinued. Results so far are very encouraging, no non tols yet! I am looking forward to the Vx360 being introduced soon. Results of the new computer lens have been excellent.

Lewy
    Thats precisley why when a new lens is brought out, If I can, I look up the websites of the company worldwide, and look at the worldwide reviews. Of course when you look at the "bumph" that falls on your desk, and it is always the latest wing ding lens going, and fits into the local market beautifully. By taking aworld wide view, and a litmus of the worldwide professional consensus, you begin to get an idea of what a lens is like. This specific lens is marketed as one thing in the US and a different thing in tha UK. Essilor specifically have a few conflicts across thier worldwide websites regarding a couple of thier lenses. Most interestingly, the fitting height is the thing that varies a lot. In a secondary sense I confirm the findings form the marketing info gleaned from the above process, by inspecting them carefully with a manual focimeter, and plot out clear undistorted areas etc.... Thirdly, when introducing a new lens, I spend some time with the patients, reviewing the lens post dispense

Thread Information