Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OPTICAL INDUSTRY

Christine

Thumbs down

Hi,
    Is there any creativity in the Optical Industry? Some people are boring.
    Especially the previous place where I worked.
    Christine

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited 02-23-2001).]

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To quote Prez Billy, "I feel you pain". Florida, where being rude seems to be a God given right when you are over 60, it is difficult to take when you are trying to be 'professional'. You basically have one of three choices, deal with it, become like it or leave. I chose the latter. I will not hire anybody with an attitude. And I will NOT SERVICE anyone who comes into my store with an attitude. Granted, I have the ability to do so, but as long as you let people walk all over you, you might as well have the word 'doormat' stamped one your forehead.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Christine,
    Have you ever seen the movie "Falling Down," with Michael Douglas? I think it about sums up your current feelings quite well...

Other than assuring you that there are those of us out here in the optical industry who approach work with a fresh vigor each day, all I can offer is a Proverb (Proverbs always calm me down and let me reflect on the deeper- and therefore more interesting- aspects- of life:
    <FONT COLOR=#FF0000>"There are three things that amaze me- no four things I do not understand: how an eagle glides through the sky, how a snake slithers on a rock, how a ship navigates the ocean, how a man loves a woman." Proverbs 30:18-19</FONT>

<FONT COLOR=#0000FF>"To acquire wisdom is to love oneself; people who cherish understanding will prosper."Proverbs 19:8</FONT>

Sorry if quoting Scripture sounds "preachy" or "sanctimonious." That's just how I unwind when I've had a day like you described, and I'd recommend it to anyone (Ecclesiastes is a pretty good read, too ;) ).

Pete "sub specie aeternatum" Hanlin

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

I kickbox.

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is very difficult as I very well know to work with people whom you don't particulary care for. We have one who started out pretty nice and then slowly but surely the leopard showed her spots. Work can be very stressful with this individual, but I try to deal with her the best way I can. She has also implemented the "buddy system" with our boss so going to management is pointless. The funny thing is I have taught this person most of what she knows now I can't even talk to her. Interesting how things change, huh? The best advice I can give is just go to work and do the best job you can, and try to keep your distance and your sanity. That is exactly what I do everytime I have to work with my co-worker. I avoid her at all costs,talk to her when I absolutely have to, watch her roll her eyes at me everytime she can then go do my job. Hope things aren't that bad for you. Hopefully something better will come along for you(and me for that matter).
    Have a great day!
    Steph"some of us are GREAT to work with!!!"D

I drink.....heavily

Kidding.....well sorta, I do have a few every now though........ :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by HenryB:
    I drink.....heavily

Kidding.....well sorta, I do have a few every now though........ :D
    We all do Henry, we all do!

"I drink, therefore I am"

I meant to say......now and then.....DOH!

Christine

Idea

Hi,
    Thanks to everyone for the feedback.
    Am I supposed to know what Demonic Minion means? I don't!
    Well I have to tell you about the conversation that went on today. This one optician who is the school Marm just went on and on ranting and raving about her CD she purchased at Disney World and how she can't stop listening to it. I think one song is
    "It's a small world". Then she went on to explain how happy and comfortable she felt when she was in Disney World and how she would like to work there and be in the parades and I was really encouraging her today to think about moving there and working at Disney World.
    Well, then I commented on my new Celine Dion CD that I play on my Media Player and she told me how she hates "Celine Dion", one of the few singers in the world who makes your hair stand on end. I guess we are just like salt and pepper.

Christine "very frustrated"

"God help me for making fun at people",
    "I guess I am going to Hell" "But I have to say, I didn't generate the bad vibes".

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited 10-17-2000).]

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

I think we have all had jobs, this industry or others, where we finally wake up one morning and say "I can't do this anymore!"
    Don't be afraid to seek out other employment. There are plenty of places that working at can be greatly satisfying. But you have to seek them out. There are no signs posted. I left a company after 17 years and I never regretted it. (Well... I did miss a few of the people) I learned many new skills working with the right people, in the right places, at the right time. It is truly your decision on who and what you want to put up with.

(please, don't pay any attention to the wordy, run-on sentences. Ex-Texans run on and on and on)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's a small world indeed, Christine. Sometimes too small. I think your school marm would make a very good Minnie Mouse or even Daisy Duck!!! Sorry still LOL from your post. What is wrong with people honestly? Disney World????!!! Okeedokee! Whatever floats her boat. Nothing against the place, but I have never heard of anyone but kids ranting and raving after coming back from the place. I guess I still have flashbacks from the restaurant I used to work at with that insane Disney Christmas cd!!! Oh stop the madness! Yes, I truly can sympathize with you on this one. My co-worker never smiles unless she is making fun of someone. She thinks everyone who can't get used to their rx is "crazy". Uh no not everyone sometimes our pts really know what they are talking about!
    Keep your sanity!!
    Steph

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused

Maybe I'm justa jaded Floridian...ya think...but an ADULT that get's that excited over Disney needs some serious medication.
    Ok, she has a point about Celine...sorry.
    What part of Pa ya from?

[This message has been edited by EyeManFla (edited 10-18-2000).]

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Having dispensed the "listen to Yanni and meditate" advice, perhaps you could ask her a few questions to determine her state of mental well-being... such as:

• Are Mickey and Minnie real, or imaginary?
    • Do little voices tell you to be annoying, or are you just that way by nature?
    • Just what did I do to indicate that I really give a flip about Disneyland and the magic pixie fairies?
    • You had a traumatic childhood, didn't you?

See, when the meditation doesn't work, I also get exasperated with people. When she starts singing "Small World" just counter with some Van Halen "Go Ahead, Jump!"

Pete "inner peace is still great stuff, though" Hanlin

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I like them and many of them are my relatives and friends but Pennsylvania Dutchmen are not noted for their spirit of adventure or innovation.

Try somewhere more exciting, like the South or West Coast maybe.

Christine

Idea

Hi,

Well I just got home and I have doing some thinking. I think this lady [girl?] is in some state of denial.
    This is really "La, La Land" [Disney World]
    and she was in the perfect spot for it.
    So I suppose she let it "all hang out" there.
    The strangest thing happened to me this morning. I opened up the Doctor's office and Optical shop and this delivery man showed up with a huge vase of beautiful red roses, at least one dozen or more with baby's breath, with a note written to me by a secret admirer
    [love note]. I don't know him. Strange.
    I hope I am not being stalked.

Christine

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited 10-18-2000).]

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Originally posted by Christine:
    <FONT COLOR=#FF0000>Am I supposed to know what Demonic Minion means? I don't!
    </FONT>
    Actually I'm surprised no one has ever brought this up before!

For the record, 'Demonic Minions' are the self chosen name of the OptiBoard Forum Moderator. Actually, they all didn't chose the name - this designation was suggested by none other than the illustrious Darris Chambless. And since I had deleted the long-forgotten Darris' Corner Forum, it was the least I could do! :D

------------------

OptiBoard Administrator

Christine

Had a bad day today.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited 02-23-2001).]

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question

. And since I had deleted the long-forgotten Darris' Corner Forum, it was the least I could do!
    Forgotten??? He brings it up once a day....from what his wife says I think he even speaks about it in his sleep. ;)

Oh Steve.....the naivete of youth..LOL

Chad "It's been too long since I had to come up with interesting quotes" Huber

Christine

Blue Jumper

Hi again,

It gets pretty rough out there doesn't it?
    But I am not the only one.
    Someone is always out there ready to strike.
    You can let your guard down. I love animals.
    You don't have to worry about this with your dog or cat or pet. They just love you.
    I am watching a program on the Taj Mahal in India. Incredible.
    I have said in the past and will say again.
    There are more lunies walking the streets than locked up.
    Stephanie, you are supportive, that is nice.
    So is everyone here, and that is also nice.

Christine

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited 10-21-2000).]

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Originally posted by Chad Huber:
    <FONT COLOR=#FF0000> Forgotten??? He brings it up once a day....from what his wife says I think he even speaks about it in his sleep. ;)
    </FONT>
    Well duh! Actually I meant that it's been forgotten by the rest of us and only lives on in Darris' dreams! :D

------------------

OptiBoard Administrator

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Christine, I agree with you completely. We have more bs going on in our company than I could ever mention. It is really terrible that you completely LOVE your job but dread going there because of the people you work with. I have said it before...I am not there to make friends but it would make life a whole lot easier if we could just get along. I think some people just get a thrill hurting others. Those people have a lot of hate and resentment in their hearts. I totally agree about the animals loving you no matter what. I have two of the most sweetest puppy girls you have ever laid eyes on. They adore me no matter what kind of mood I am in. They are my best little friends in the world, and they expect nothing in return(well maybe just a cookie now and then!!!!) I absolutely cherish the wonderful love they give. I would have probably broke into a million pieces a long time ago if it were not for my little friends.
    Have a great day and try not to let it get to you. My dad always has this saying "overcome and conquer" I repeat it to myself all day long!! I also tell myself my goals for my career are bigger than this. It helps to keep myself focused.
    Hope this helps,
    Steph"in the same boat" D

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

<FONT COLOR=#FF0000>"I totally agree about the animals loving you no matter what."</FONT>
    Um, you've never seen the movie Cujo have you (actually, neither have I- but my wife says there's a rather nasty dog in that one...)? Yeah, I'm a dog person too. Had an Irish Setter growing up ("Kringle," he was a Christmas present). The thing I've never understood is why people keep cats. I've heard that if your dog jumps on the bed with you, it's 'cause he loves you... if the cat jumps on the bed with you, it's 'cause it loves your bed.

Anyway, like my dad always said when I would think about changing jobs "you'll find the same people every place you work... they'll just have different names!" So true... You really have to pity vindictive, conniving people- I mean, if anger is all that makes a person tick, whew what a terrible life. I also don't envy the person who has a miserable life and makes it their mission to make sure everyone else around them is miserable as well (yet they are always the ones bemoaning the fact that "no one likes me").

Just keep quoting that familiar Saturday Night Live phrase: "I'm smart enough, I'm good enough, and doggonit- people like me!"

Pete "I think I work with your coworker's sister..." Hanlin

<FONT COLOR=#0000FF>"If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat; if he is thirsty, give him water to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head... Prov. 25</FONT>

[This message has been edited by Pete Hanlin (edited 10-23-2000).]

Christine

Dear Everyone,

Thanks for writing these letters. They have really helped and I feel stronger because of it.
    Emotionally that will destroy you if you let it, but I am ok. Each day is a challenge.
    Yes my dogs in my life make me weep after they have passed away. I love any animal.
    It could be the ugliest looking, but I still love it, doesn't matter to me. I really love alpacas also.
    One book I read that was very compelling was
    "People Of The Lie" The Psychology of Human Evil by Scott Peck, M.D. It is very thought provoking and he gets right to the core of things. He is truly brilliant. If you read it, you will stay up all night reading it, but I would say to read "The Road Less Travelled" first to develop a certain trust and respect for the author. My friends all read the book and felt the need to discuss the stories with me and other people. It really helps you alot if you have a certain understanding for this sort of thing. It is easier to cope with and get rid of quicker.
    But one thing, it [the book] scared me so bad that I couldn't sleep, I really put it all together. Things started clicking and I was relating to experiences with people who are evil minded.
    And yes people like this affect your work. There for a while I couldn't focus on what I was doing. I was so upset and nervous. I had all I could do to get through the day.

Christine

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited 10-23-2000).]

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well,Pete, Cujo, you do have a point. I certainly did mean my dogs!! LOL!!! Not rabid St.Bernard's. I do love MOST animals and I would say they for the most part love me right back. No matter which one. Even the straggly mutt off the street (which now lives with me by the way!!) Of course don't forget the movie Pet Cemetary!! I didn't care for those animals too much either. Yes I truly feel sorry for vindictive people with all that hate in them. I think the girls in my office are just so miserable they want everyone to feel as miserable as they do. I also agree that wherever you go to work you are going to have problems to a certain extent. I have never however experienced anything to this degree. I think sometimes though some women are a little more sensitive to things like this than men are. I take things to heart when I know I shouldn't, but I have not mastered how to not let it get to me. It can make things very uncomfortable for me. I just go one day at a time and do the best job I can possibly do. It's all I can do.
    Have a great day everyone!!!
    Steph

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

<FONT COLOR=#FF0000>"I think sometimes though some women are a little more sensitive to things like this than men are."</FONT>
    Um, I just want it clear that you made this observation, not me... :D

<FONT COLOR=#FF0000>"I have not mastered how to not let it get to me."</FONT>
    That's actually a good thing, Stephanie. The day nothing "gets to you" is the day you cease caring and give up on life. From someone who takes things too personally at times, let me say its not a bad thing to be concerned about others around you (even if you're just "concerned" about their mental state! ;) ).

------------------

Thread Information