Thread: Presentation Images

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Presentation Images

In the near future I would like to start to use images and illustrations for speaking and teaching purposes but have no idea how to make or find them let alone present them. Does any one have any ideas or thoughts?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Not sure if you are considering internet resources but since most websites are copywrited, it is technically illegal to use images from these resources without authorization. Your integrity will be compromised sooner or later when someone sees a picture you are using that they previously saw on a website.
    It is also very apparent when your illustrations and/or images are generic rather than specific to your topic which will in turn make the presentation less interesting. Therefore, it would be in your best interest to educate yourself about taking pictures and implementing them into presentation applications such as powerpoint.

Sorry to give you the Dr. Phil version of my opinion but I believe the optical profession doesn't need to loose any more credibility than we already have.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Thank you for your advice. I totally agree with you thats why I am aking for opinions here before I make myself look stupid. For a power point presentation how would you set it up? Do you need a kind of projector? What about overhead projectors? Or are they a little out dated? Is there a software program that I could use to create images, mainly optical diagrams? I hate to say it but I just don't know much about this technology!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    There is nothing more irksome than sitting through an amateurish poorly designed presentation no matter how it is produced. So, until you have the talent and skill set to produce first quality work why not have a professional do it for you. If you are trying to market something it may be cheaper in the long run.

Of course, none of us here are lacking in any skills and everyone knows that a monkey can create a slide show with PowerPoint so off you go. Get yourself a digital camera and Microsoft Office and you are instantly in business. Adobe PhotoShop or Illustrator would be icing on the cake. Your local college or university should have tons of appropriate courses (too bad these can’t be accepted as CE credits, but that’s a subject for another post) and network with friends who have the required skills and are willing to mentor you. And, practice, practice, practice.

Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    There is nothing more irksome than sitting through an amateurish poorly designed presentation no matter how it is produced. So, until you have the talent and skill set to produce first quality work why not have a professional do it for you. If you are trying to market something it may be cheaper in the long run.

Of course, none of us here are lacking in any skills and everyone knows that a monkey can create a slide show with PowerPoint so off you go. Get yourself a digital camera and Microsoft Office and you are instantly in business. Adobe PhotoShop or Illustrator would be icing on the cake. Your local college or university should have tons of appropriate courses (too bad these can’t be accepted as CE credits, but that’s a subject for another post) and network with friends who have the required skills and are willing to mentor you. And, practice, practice, practice.
    I have to agree. Having worked on both sides of this particular desk it is all too easy to give a very poor Powerpoint or slide presentation. Before doing anything you need to list your objectives, what do you wish to achieve and how will you profit from it? If your objectives are going to be a major influence on your business then seek professional help. I have lost count of the number of Powerpoint presentations where the presenter has stood and read verbatim each slide. Presenting is a skill and an art which can be learnt, but to do properly is quite difficult. A good starting point can be found here: http://www.m62.net/SEFS/ID.248/SEFE/ViewItem.asp this is the home of an excellent presentation company, if you can get a copy of their book so much the better. Also join a local BNI Chapter, a business networking group. With BNI you will learn to give 60 second presentations, 10 minute presentations and gain confidence in public speaking. It's great for me to see new members develop from complete 'jellies' shaking with nerves, to within months speaking confidently and keeping the attention of the audience.

Final advice PLAN PLAN PLAN, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE and don't leave everything to the last minute.

Lewy

Thread Information