Thread: Doc says yeah there is something going on with your heart...

Bad address email on file

:( :(
    he gave me high blood pressure Meds Tuesday.
    :( :(

:( beta "I'm only 25" chem :(

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

I was only 2 years old and had heart surgery. You don't have to be very old to have some trouble. Just make sure you take care of yourself, and do what your doctor advises you to do. It is frightening to be so young and have problems so I can relate. Don't let it get you down. You can do more damage worrying about it than the actual problem is.
    Take care of yourself!!!
    Steph

Yeah I'm not going to worry about it that wouldn't do any good. I guess I will just have to get in really good shape. You had heart surgery huh. Did you foramen ovale not close? I read in my pathophys book that 1 in 4 have that problem. I would think in some it would be worse than in others, the size of the hole anyway. I have what you would call a barrel chest. I always have a large amount of air that never leaves my lungs. I would assume that air would contain alot of CO2. I was all state in track, I think alot of that is because I have such big lungs and when I would start running they could fill up with alot more O2, the downside to this is that they can fill up with alot more CO2 when at rest also. This of course would kinda suffocate a person, sorta. You see this type of lung structure in people with cystic fibrosis alot I guess. My
    hypothesis is this

excess CO2 in lungs--->metabolic and respratory alkalosis-->low plasma bound O2-->ischiemic condition of the heart muscle-->thickening of the heart muscle-->high blood pressure.

I haven't done too much studying on high blood pressure but this one of the things I think could happen.

I think (not worry) way too much about things and analyze them as far down to the molecular level as I can. What else would you expect from a chemistry major, its just the way it goes.

beta chem :(

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It was called patent ductus arteriousus. I am not sure if it was the same thing you were talking about. I know now there is a laser surgery to correct it. Same day surgery mind you. I on the other hand was cut like Frankenstein!!! HAHAHAHA!!! I don't really care because it saved my life, and it has been there basically forever.
    Have a great day and take care of yourself!!!
    Steph

Yeah, I know what you are talking about? The ductus arteriosus is another shunt like the foramen ovale that is suppose to close upon exposure to O2 by a newborn. The shunt you talk about bypasses the pulmonary circuit shoots unoxygenated blood into the systemic circuit. Ironically the foramen ovale does not close in every one out of four people. My brother had to have surgery because of holes in his heart I dont't know which one it was though. They say that they can cause these by exposing a newborn lamb to high CO2 levels at birth. At the same token they can cause it to close faster by giving slightly higher than normal O2 levels. You know the term blue baby. Well I bet they have problems such as this because of low O2 levels. I'm not sure whether it is the higher CO2 levels that are the problem or the low O2 levels. Usually you are going to have one or the other but not always. I have a friend and she is 25 also who has had two surgeries on her heart same as my brother. If a person does not have these problems fixed they are similar to a amphibian who never does really ever get a fresh supply of O2 to there system. There are some salamanders that don't even have lungs or gills at all. I guess they have to absorb all their O2 from the air or whatever substrate they are in.

beta chem

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well Beta chem you hit that nail right on the head. I know people probably think I am nuts, but I can remember being in the hospital although I was only two. I can remember specific details right down to stuff like chocolate pudding. I can't even remember what I did this morning!!!LOL!!! I guess something so traumatic as a child will leave you with memories like that. I have been told that my birth defect could have been caused to my fathers exposure to agent orange in Vietnam. I would almost say I believe it, but I would hate to think it. They have also recently diagnosed my father with diabetes. It seems quite a few Vietnam Vets are all being diagnosed with this lately. Coincidence?! I think not. Just curious? If you are a chem major why do you frequent the optiboard? Not that I mind or anyone else does, but I just found it curious. You must just like how brilliant all of us geniuses are! HA HAHAHAHA!!!!!
    Have a great weekend!!!
    Steph

Optical People with health problems....I can definately relate. I was diagnosed with high cholesterol 3 years ago.The blood pressure is okay.But this stuff is sure not anything to ignore.How many of you have checked your cholesterol lately? They have awesome drugs to keep it under control, just like the high blood pressure meds :D Brought it down from 341 to 220 . Just wanted to share that with you!

Hey Steph,
    I guess I hang out around here because I had problems with my glasses and these here good folk helped me figure it out so I stayed. I found there are some quite brite people here.
    I think the meds are working. I found my heart rate has went down to 80bps right now which is good. This from the normal 120bps with out.

Good for you new eye guy on bringing you cholesterol down. My LDL was normal but I was low with the good HDL. So what in the world does this mean?????????

beta chem

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Hi all,
    Beta Chem- I too ran track in High School (mile relay, personal best for the 440 was 56.1 secs). By the time I came to my current job (at age 29) the stress of 30 extra pounds, a move across the country, and a new position elevated my B.P. to 150/100. I purchased a tread mill, shed the 30 lbs., and dropped the B.P. back to 120/70. All that to say that a good tread mill (with a T.V. parked in front of it ;) ), goes a long way towards better health. I find it pretty easy to run 30-90 minutes per day.

Unfortunately, I lost my sister to a problem very similar to Stephanie's. Seems a baby's circulation "changes" about 14 days after birth. My sister's heart defect didn't become apparent until my parents had her home from the hospital for about a week. At that time, they didn't have the surgery techniques necessary to save her. I was only 2 years old at the time, but it would have been interesting to have a sister (not that having two younger brothers wasn't "interesting" enough ;) ).

Finally, I think the increase in incidences of diabetes among Vietnam vets is probably due to the fact that "Type II diabetes" usually does occur after age 40 or so. Also, there has been a 33% increase in the incidence of diabetes among Americans since 1990...

Get that tread mill, tune in Chris Matthews on Hardball (or watch the Simpsons like I do ;) ), and lace 'em up!

Pete "32 and still ticking" Hanlin
    PS- I have a history of heart problems before the age of 50 on both sides of my family, so I figure every step on the mill is "preventative medicine!"

[This message has been edited by Pete Hanlin (edited 10-20-2000).]

Thread Information