Thread: I have to vent...

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I have to vent...

I just saw a new patient in our office, a very sweet lady who came in to purchase lenses. She had a +.25 RX with mild astigmatism, and a +2.00 add. The thing that bothered me was that she was certain that she had to have ultra-super-mega hi-index lenses for her glasses, and if she didn't they would be thick, ugly, and magnify her eyes to twice their size. I checked her current pair and she was in a progressive 1.67 with every extra you could think of. In talking to her I became convinced that the previous person who helped her had told her that all those bad things would happen unless she paid for the most expensive lenses available.

Totally unnecessary.

Since when did opticianry become an exercise in sell sell sell? I feel like our profession is being polluted by an ugly "pushy used car salesman" mentality...

And that our patients are suffering for it.
    It's like being a travel agent... I help people see the world!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nicole
    I just saw a new patient in our office, a very sweet lady who came in to purchase lenses. She had a +.25 RX with mild astigmatism, and a +2.00 add. The thing that bothered me was that she was certain that she had to have ultra-super-mega hi-index lenses for her glasses, and if she didn't they would be thick, ugly, and magnify her eyes to twice their size. I checked her current pair and she was in a progressive 1.67 with every extra you could think of. In talking to her I became convinced that the previous person who helped her had told her that all those bad things would happen unless she paid for the most expensive lenses available.

Totally unnecessary.

Since when did opticianry become an exercise in sell sell sell? I feel like our profession is being polluted by an ugly "pushy used car salesman" mentality...

The multiples need to make their money to pay for massive overheads.

Then when we tell the truth we are seen to be unable to offer the same product quality.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Totally unnecessary.

i agree, but was this partially patient oriented? see thread http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15022

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Our Optical Worls..........................

.........................told her that all those bad things would happen unless she paid for the most expensive lenses available.
    Totally unnecessary.

This is due to opticians are saying "amen" to the advertisng done by manufacturers towards the public who is being brainwahsed by ads in magazines........nespapers...........radio and TV,

They see an optician and ask for all those things they heard about without knowing what it is all about and the optician smelling another expensive sale will not even going into explaining (which he might not even be able to) and lets them have it all the way.

Believe me, the originators are the almughty few big corporations that fight for dominance of the optical world. And besides that you are paying for it by selling their hig priced items.

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    This is due to opticians are saying "amen" to the advertisng done by manufacturers towards the public who is being brainwahsed by ads in magazines........nespapers...........radio and TV,

They see an optician and ask for all those things they heard about without knowing what it is all about and the optician smelling another expensive sale will not even going into explaining (which he might not even be able to) and lets them have it all the way.

Believe me, the originators are the almughty few big corporations that fight for dominance of the optical world. And besides that you are paying for it by selling their hig priced items.

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
    it also has a lot to do with the paranoia of the early presbyope, who typically doesnt want to admit to getting old, and is used to getting thier own way, 6 of one, half a dozen of the other i say

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    it also has a lot to do with the paranoia of the early presbyope, who typically doesnt want to admit to getting old, and is used to getting thier own way, 6 of one, half a dozen of the other i say
    I guess thats why I see so mant Playboy frames with PAL's in them!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When: About 1960, about the time physicians started to get into the optical business in larger numbers.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hopefully you were able to convince her to make them in another material. The optics of 1.67 is not nearly as good as many other materials and she might even like her vision better when not looking through a 1.67 lens.

I sell 1.67 if the prescription calls for it, but I agree in this case it didn't.

C-10
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You know you been an optician too long when you can sell photogray lenses in an Scuba goggle.

I feel that sometime this could be a case of someone getting paid Commission

Bad address email on file
    I feel like our profession is being polluted by an ugly "pushy used car salesman" mentality...
    Worse than car saleman because, at least I can buy the *kind* of car I want online though it might cost alittle more but with eyeglasses, the customers are more dependent on the optician.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Used car salesman - or new car customer? I had a few of those in my day. Try to prove to them that they don't need all the bells and whistles, but they want 'em anyway. It's much the same mentality that drives suburban housewives (and husbands) to desire an SUV with off-road capabilities when they're mainly using it for taking the kids to soccer practice - and wouldn't dream of taking it off-road because that would get it dirty.
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear brighter before you hear them speak.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake
    Used car salesman - or new car customer? I had a few of those in my day. Try to prove to them that they don't need all the bells and whistles, but they want 'em anyway. It's much the same mentality that drives suburban housewives (and husbands) to desire an SUV with off-road capabilities when they're mainly using it for taking the kids to soccer practice - and wouldn't dream of taking it off-road because that would get it dirty.
    well said

Thread Information