Thread: Photochromic and Tinted Lenses?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Confused Photochromic and Tinted Lenses?

Just Wondering if their was a "Photochromic Lens" that retains some tint in it's indoor state?. I would like a lightly tinted lens that is also photochromic?

Thank You...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Get an old pair off Ebay :D Ask your optician if they are willing to put a light tint on. Some will and some won't, because it can make the lens go funny. Or I'm sure there's some hideously expensive Japanese lens that someone will dig out for you. With transmission figures!

Bad address email on file Lynne's Avatar

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by DreamWeaver
    Just Wondering if their was a "Photochromic Lens" that retains some tint in it's indoor state?. I would like a lightly tinted lens that is also photochromic?

Thank You...
    Our lab has put light grey tint on top of transitions, with no adverse effect. We started doing that when the old Transitions Extra patients couldn't get it any more!:)

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

sunsensor

Thank You...
    sunsensor lenses seem to retain some tint .
    http://www.optispares.btinternet.co.uk

jack

It is by universal misunderstanding that all agree. For if, by ill luck, people understood each other, they would never agree.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optispares
    sunsensor lenses seem to retain some tint .
    Thats the answer, cheaper alternatives to Transition don't lighten as well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thank You...
    have a look at the rodenstock colourmatic

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I would also agree with optispares. There was an indefinate backorder on a transitions lens we ordered about a year ago so we went with SunSensors and I was shocked. They looked alot like the old Transitions Extra. Otherwise I know some labs will put a very light tint on Transitions, however from what I've been told is that most of the time if the tint is put on it voids the warranty that Transitions offers. I would try a SunSensors or other cheaper photochromic.

(P.S. - Where are you located in Minnesota? I'm just across the border from you. PM me if you wanted more info as I own a very small independent lab and would be more than willing to help if your lab can't.:) )

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Check out Beloptics.

They have a brown, grey, and yellow photochromatic polarized lens available.
    I believe the light transmission is somewhere around 50 or 60 percent unactivated and around 20 percent when activated. I made up 3 or 4 pair for a few customers without any problems.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Can tint any plastic......................

You can tint anything that is plastic..................from light to dark.............when photochromic they just go darker when exposed to UV

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    You can tint anything that is plastic..................from light to dark.............when photochromic they just go darker when exposed to UV
    I would try this first before promising to a patient. different photochromic technologies react differently in the tint bath

Occupation

Different reactions....................

Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    I would try this first before promising to a patient. different photochromic technologies react differently in the tint bath
    Not only different photochromics react different. Different plastic materials react diffrenet in general. It has to do with the plastic material the basic lens comnsists of.

So,e high imdex materials come out blue when tinted in grey or black. Hard coatings can accept colors a different way than wanted. Ot is a simple matter of trying it out and testing the different materials and you eill have no problems.

Tinting lenses is not the same as it used to be. There are more materials that react different but tinting can also be done up to a 100 times faster and ro draker shades on hard to tint lenses. The times of simple heat transfer in a dye pot are a thing of the past and have becom,e archaic.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not only different photochromics react different. Different plastic materials react diffrenet in general. It has to do with the plastic material the basic lens comnsists of.

So,e high imdex materials come out blue when tinted in grey or black. Hard coatings can accept colors a different way than wanted. Ot is a simple matter of trying it out and testing the different materials and you eill have no problems.

Tinting lenses is not the same as it used to be. There are more materials that react different but tinting can also be done up to a 100 times faster and ro draker shades on hard to tint lenses. The times of simple heat transfer in a dye pot are a thing of the past and have becom,e archaic.
    that was my point. also a lot (not all) of them are hardcoated with a material which effectivly blocks the tint passing in to the lens

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    that was my point. also a lot (not all) of them are hardcoated with a material which effectivly blocks the tint passing in to the lens
    The hardcoat can break down if you try to tint them.
    I was advised to tint them is short bursts over a longer period of time.

In my experience you can maybe get 25% absorbtion and can easily ruin a pair of lenses. As ever we are reluctant to admit it can be done because the customer does not want to hear that they may have to pay for more than one set of lenses.

Occupation

In my expirience......................

Quote Originally Posted by rsandr
    In my experience you can maybe get 25% absorbtion and can easily ruin a pair of lenses. As ever we are reluctant to admit it can be done because the customer does not want to hear that they may have to pay for more than one set of lenses.
    If you guy's would be as interested in newer tinting technologies as you are in new lenses..............and they go actually together...........you would or should know that above lens could be tinted to 85% absorbtion in 4 to 6 minutes without ruined lenses and even while the patient waits..

:bbg:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Transitions Warrantee ?

To my knowledge there is not now nor has there ever been a Transitions warrantee. Any warrantee would come from the Lab to help a customer. The current Transitions lenses are easily tinted and I regularly recommend to my customers to do so in order to satisfy patients needs and give exceptional service. One of my favorite personal pairs of glasses are Transitions Brown progressives with a green gradient tint and A/R.

John Zimmerman
    Sales Manager
    Tri-City Optical Laboratory

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist

sunsensor

I own a few pairs of sunsensors and they do retain a tint indoors at all times. I believe that they also get darker outdoors than do transitions. I have found that it is not easy to come indoors after being in the sun with the sunsensors because they take so long to change back (and retain some tint). Ideally, I would want photochromics to turn very dark, very quickly and then to turn completely clear just as quickly indoors. I have not really found anything that does this to date.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Easy answer.................................

Quote Originally Posted by ilanh
    I have not really found anything that does this to date.
    A very easy answer to that one.............................it does not exist at this date.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by johntricity
    To my knowledge there is not now nor has there ever been a Transitions warrantee. Any warrantee would come from the Lab to help a customer. The current Transitions lenses are easily tinted and I regularly recommend to my customers to do so in order to satisfy patients needs and give exceptional service. One of my favorite personal pairs of glasses are Transitions Brown progressives with a green gradient tint and A/R.

Rodenstock have a very good garuntee on thier ColourMatic in the UK - waranty exchange for dissatisfaction...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rsandr
    Thats the answer, cheaper alternatives to Transition don't lighten as well.
    thats a bit unfair. There broadly seem to be 2 technologies - transitions etc. which is effectivly a surface technology, and Colourmatic/sunsensors etc.- which is a through the whole lens technology.

The second type are generally darker, react better in a car, and go much darker in the sun, but as a trade off, seem to lighten slower, and have a greater residual tint

The surface technology version reacts quicker, and goes lighter, but doesnt get the overall depth of the thru-the-whole-lens versions of photochromic plastic

there is one more interesting fact - as the photochromic layer dies over time, the thin surface version just becomes worse and worse. the other thru-the-lens version, just uses "the next layer" of available material, and carries on reating properly for years, and you dont get light areas in scratching

I see the two camps as different, and a useful alternative to each other when dispensing

Occupation

Big Smile Warrantee.............................

Rodenstock have a very good garuntee on thier ColourMatic in the UK - waranty exchange for dissatisfaction...
    I really love this one....................the optician can do a lousy job = dissatisfactuon..............dont like the color =dissatisfaction.............dont like anything else=dissatisfaction.......................

You gui's really believe in Santa Claus if you think that the warranty is not built into the selling price.............which means for every successfully sold pair the manufacturer makes double profit or could sell them at half price without warranty.
    :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I really love this one....................the optician can do a lousy job = dissatisfactuon..............dont like the color =dissatisfaction.............dont like anything else=dissatisfaction.......................

You gui's really believe in Santa Claus if you think that the warranty is not built into the selling price.............which means for every successfully sold pair the manufacturer makes double profit or could sell them at half price without warranty.
    :D
    personally i dont give a stuff, nore do i sell on the waranty (dont recall ever mentioning it to a patient), it just happens to be a fact that they offer a "90 day non tollerance to colourmatic garuntee". I think its mad, but sometimes you do get someone whio just doesnt get on with them. if the lens company want to give such a offer, they can. the last time i used it they re-made the job with claer lenses at no charge, and the patient was very happy

last time I looked, i couldnt get photochromic plastic lenses at a more reasonable price, so what are all the other manufacturers building into thier selling price?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    To my knowledge, Transitions Optical has never had a warrantee with labs.

The warrantee is through the manufacturing partners.
    That is, the patient returns to the ecp who returns to the lab who returns to the manufacturer who then reports to Transitions of problems in the field.

Also all Transitions have non tintable hardcoats. Any tints would have to be done to the non hardcoated backside of a surfaced lens.

All stock lenses are dip coated, so both sides are hardcoated with the non tintable hardcoat.
    Jim
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    there were lenses called phases that had an amber tint indoors that turned grey outdoors, it wasnt as dark as most transitions and unfortunately the lens quality wasnt as good. have you tried splits?

Thread Information