Thread: my perfect eyes

OptiBoard Novice

my perfect eyes

I fear that maybe my search has lead me to the wrong place for this. I hope not, and that someone can help me.

I've been an artist all my life and have fulfilled my childhood dream and now work as an Art lead for a division of Disney. One key thing that has helped me to do this is my "perfect eyesight". I've always been able to surprise people by beating them in a challenge of "who can see the farthest", etc.

...until this last year. I've notice poor vision especially at night, trying to read traffic signs. At a store tonight two people were reading product part numbers up high that I could not read. Also I was looking at the moon the other night through the car window and it apeared to have a subtle duplication (sort of double vision I guess you'd say) of itself. I thought it was just the window causing it until there was no change when I rolled it down.

Strangely when I took an online test tonight following it's detailed instructions (how to calibrate the screen, how far to stand, etc.) I got "right eye: 20/20+ 6/6+(normal), left eye: 20/15- 6/4.5- (excellent)".

How can this be? Is there something more going on here than just degrading vision? I know, I know, ...I will ultimately need to go to an optometrist. But we are in the middle of switching health plans and primary care physicians. It will be some time before I will be able to see anyone. And without any qualified indication of what's going on, my wife and I are sweating it.

Can anyone give me some basic info for the time being? "normal/excellent vision"?!?! ...and I still can't read signs?! What's wrong with me?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You ought to get an eye examination

You are probrably a very mild latent hyperope (allways been a bit long sighted). Whilst this presents few problems to a younger person, progressivly it becomes a problem as we get older. If you book in for an eye examination, the soloution will probrably be very simpleThere may be an issue of the way your two eyes work together, which would account for the excelent monocular vision (vision in individual left and right eyes), but a little confusion when the two eyes work together. Again an eye examination would clear this up, and the soloution will be probrably very simple

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Thumbs up Have eyes examined..............................

Quote Originally Posted by otistheshoemaker
    ...I will ultimately need to go to an optometrist. But we are in the middle of switching health plans and primary care physicians. It will be some time before I will be able to see anyone. And without any qualified indication of what's going on, my wife and I are sweating it.
    ?
    QDO1 is right...............have an eye examination. You seem to have a good job and should be able to afford a few bucks to find out what is bothering you.
    Not having an insurance paying for you should not be the excuse.

Bad address email on file

No Medical Advice

Otis,

This website is for entertainment purposes only. Medical advice will not be given to anyone under any circumstances. If you feel you may have a medical or health-related condition you are advised to seek appropriate care immediately.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Sounds like ATR astigmatism, to me. You better have your attorney draw up some papers, and see a good funeral director. ;)

Seriously, though, I wouldn't sweat it too much. While this could be something serious, it's not likely that it is.

Get evaluated by the middle of January, though, to be sure. Just don't worry; that won't help.

OptiBoard Novice
    Thanks for the information here and in pm's everyone!

Chairtime: If people don't want to volunteer advise that's sure fine. As I stated before I am not really looking for advise, just information to dissipate the fear of the unknown. Don't worry, I will be giving an optometrist out there some "chairtime" for sure. :)

Small update here...

I've decided that I'm not going to wait for insurance and will be going in regardless. The information the rest of you gave has definitely eased the tension. Forums on the web are such a great source of information. I could spend hours at the library and not get the right bits of info.

Thread Information