Thread: Are you in the majority?

Occupation
    Optometrist

Are you in the majority?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    nope

Bad address email on file finklstiltskin's Avatar
    I believe in something out there that's more powerful than drk.

Bad address email on file
    I'm in the vast majority that believes in God. The "1 percenters" who are sure there is no God are getting away with too much (on Earth at least.)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by finklstiltskin
    I believe in something out there that's more powerful than drk.
    You're funny.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    nope
    What's it like living in the top 1%?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk
    What's it like living in the top 1%?
    great

C-10
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am Married have two children and own a Business. If I didn't have my god I would be in the Funny Farm

Quote Originally Posted by C-10
    I am Married have two children and own a Business. If I didn't have my god I would be in the Funny Farm
    Who, may I ask, is your "god"?

Fink

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairtime
    I'm in the vast majority that believes in God. The "1 percenters" who are sure there is no God are getting away with too much (on Earth at least.)
    This is an interesting comment. Reading between the lines I'd guess that you think that the 1% are the ones trying to keep prayer out of schools and the 10 Commandments out of courthouses (to pick a couple of hot topics). That would mean that 5 of the 9 Supreme Court Justices are in the 1%. How likely do you think that is? Believing in god (in the generic) does't mean you're Christian or even ascribe to any religion.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    sorry, would you qualify what I am getting away with "far too much"?

Generic Believers

Quote Originally Posted by coda
    This is an interesting comment. Reading between the lines I'd guess that you think that the 1% are the ones trying to keep prayer out of schools and the 10 Commandments out of courthouses (to pick a couple of hot topics). That would mean that 5 of the 9 Supreme Court Justices are in the 1%. How likely do you think that is? Believing in god (in the generic) does't mean you're Christian or even ascribe to any religion.
    Believing in God (not sure what "in the generic" means), doesn't make you a Christian, true. I get your point. Maybe "generic believers" want to keep God out of the government and schools. Frankly, I have a harder time figuring out a "generic believer" than I do figuring out an athiest like QDO1. If you don't believe in God, and that works for you, there's not much you can do about it. But if you do believe in God, yet refuse to acknowledge Him, seek to keep Him out of society, and don't pray to Him, then in my mind you are much worse than an athiest. You are as good as a Satanist. Maybe I'll change my statement to "the Generic Non-practicing Believers are getting away with too much."

C-10
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=finklstiltskin]Who, may I ask, is your "god"?

I call my self a Christian.

I believe in a higher power than myself. I believe in a power that is kind and loving and I know when things get to tough for me I have that faith that I can leave with my God.

I like the story of when God and a person were looking at his, her life of foot prints in the sand. There were two foot prints in the sand them just one foot print then two again. And the person said to God. Lord see thoses foot prints when they were just one why in my darkness hour you left me. Gods answer No my child in your darkness hour that whew I carried you.

I feel. That my relation with my god.
    That my story and I am sticking to it.

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Believing in God (not sure what "in the generic" means), doesn't make you a Christian, true. I get your point. Maybe "generic believers" want to keep God out of the government and schools. Frankly, I have a harder time figuring out a "generic believer" than I do figuring out an athiest like QDO1. If you don't believe in God, and that works for you, there's not much you can do about it. But if you do believe in God, yet refuse to acknowledge Him, seek to keep Him out of society, and don't pray to Him, then in my mind you are much worse than an athiest. You are as good as a Satanist. Maybe I'll change my statement to "the Generic Non-practicing Believers are getting away with too much."
    Generic means a non-specific higher power. I'm saying many people believe in a different god than you do. They want to keep your concept of God out of schools and government. They could feel this way for a few reasons but the two most obvious are: they know your idea of God is flawed; they believe God has a place in society but that it shouldn't be imposed on people who either believe in a different God(s) or believe God doesn't belong in government (give unto Ceasar).

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    [QUOTE=Chairtime] You are as good as a Satanist. Now here's a statement you don't stumble on every day......

This is what makes life interesting, the sheer diversity of mankind. For instance, I can imagine no set of circumstances that would elicit such a comment from me. Just for ***** and giggles I may try to slip this into my conversation over the holidays.

Merry Christmas! Oh and before I forget, you're as good as a Satanist. This could work....

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by coda
    or believe God doesn't belong in government (give unto Ceasar).
    I have to correct you, there. That statement of Jesus does not have bearing on God's role in the government.

Jesus was asked whether Jews should pay "taxes" (better translated as "tribute") to Caesar. Pharisee's felt that God was using the Roman Empire to punish the Jews, so felt obligated to pay. Zealots felt that paying tribute was wrong because it was admitting that Caesar was "god" (it was more than just taxes, back then, it was "tribute".)

Jesus said, essentially: "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's.. (a denarius, which had a picture of Caesar on it, and an inscription that said "A worshipped son of the worshipped god", or something to that effect.)..give to God that which is God's" (meaning Caesar was not God, of course, and He also meant to show that there was no spiritual significance in paying a tribute to Caesar, even if it were supposed to mean something).

It really was a lesson in civil obedience, and showing that silly things don't matter.

So, was Jesus saying that he preferred "a strict separation of chuch and state"? I think not!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    [QUOTE=chm2023]
    You are as good as a Satanist.

Now here's a statement you don't stumble on every day......

This is what makes life interesting, the sheer diversity of mankind. For instance, I can imagine no set of circumstances that would elicit such a comment from me. Just for ***** and giggles I may try to slip this into my conversation over the holidays.

Merry Christmas! Oh and before I forget, you're as good as a Satanist. This could work....
    Are you implying that there is something wrong with Satanists, CHM? Not very nice of you. You are intolerant.:bbg:

Quote Originally Posted by C-10
    I call my self a Christian.

I believe in a higher power than myself. I believe in a power that is kind and loving and I know when things get to tough for me I have that faith that I can leave with my God.

I like the story of when God and a person were looking at his, her life of foot prints in the sand. There were two foot prints in the sand them just one foot print then two again. And the person said to God. Lord see thoses foot prints when they were just one why in my darkness hour you left me. Gods answer No my child in your darkness hour that whew I carried you.

I feel. That my relation with my god.
    That my story and I am sticking to it.
    I was asking because most "Christians" capitalize the word "god". Just a question, and I intended no offense at all, I promise. Now, as for the quaotations around "Christians," take every offense at that. As drk says, I am the super-sleuth of off-color language (and hyphens!).

Fink
    Last edited by finklstiltskin; 12-16-2005 at 05:59 PM. Reason: What's wrong with my fingers today?!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Please fix your disturbing avatar, Fink. Do you mean that you are the super-sleuth of quotation marks, too?

Please fix your disturbing avatar, Fink.
    Do you realize how long it took me to "fix" it the way it is?! I felt it to be very Hunter S. Thompson-esque or Ken Kesey-esque.

Do you mean that you are the super-sleuth of quotation marks, too?
    You tell me. You're the doctor. I'm just a 30-year old snot-nosed punk that works in the same field as your fine, respectable self. ;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ... Frankly, I have a harder time figuring out a "generic believer" than I do figuring out an athiest like QDO1.
    Frankly, I have a harder time figuring out espoused Christians, who claim to have the only valid religion, etc, and then behave in an entirely un-Christian way. When you do this, you're as good as a Satanist. :D :bbg: :p Only more self-righteous.
    ...Just ask me...

Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    Frankly, I have a harder time figuring out espoused Christians, who claim to have the only valid religion, etc, and then behave in an entirely un-Christian way. When you do this, you're as good as a Satanist. :D :bbg: :p Only more self-righteous.
    So you're 1) a generic believer and 2) not a Christian. I knew that. And I agree with you about espoused Christians who claim to have the only valid religion and then behave entirely un-Christian. I can't figure them out either.

Thread Information