Thread: God awful Christmas specials...

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

God awful Christmas specials...

Okay, I'm not exactly a fan of the old classics (e.g., Its a Wonderful Life), but the latest attempts at Christmas movies are truly horrid! For example, last evening, I made the mistake of turning on Once Upon a Christmas (with Kathy Ireland). Within 10 minutes I was ready to go into hyperglaucimic shock from all the sickening sweetness, but by then the wife had become insistent that we finish the movie.

I think the kids made me watch one with Tom Arnold the other day as well that was a total travesty!

So, has anyone seen a recently done Christmas movie that isn't completely without redemption? The last "really good" one I've seen of late was the Patrick Stewart rendition of A Christmas Carol- which isn't all that new.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I was playing through the Christmas carols in an old hymnal I have laying around on my piano and came upon one that actually made me cry! Read verses 3 and 4 of "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" as you reflect on the world today, and tell me if I'm just turning into a hyper-sensitive glob of goo or if this hymn really hits home in times like these!

PS- I see there's a new special called "Meet the Santas" coming out... It has Crystal Bernard in it (and I have a soft spot for Southern women, so I'll be sure to check it out), but the story line sounds pretty sorry.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Don't Do It, Pete - Step Away From the Santas!

Last night I watched "Single Santa Seeks Mrs. Claus", sort of a prequel to "Meet the Santas", if you will. After the first commercial break I grabbed a pizza crust, some sauce and some pepperoni. Didn't need any cheese - the movie was cheesy enough! Apparently someone in TV land decided it would be a good idea to have Steve Guttenberg (of the Oscar-nominated Police Academy saga) to play Santa Junior, who at the tender age of 47 1/2 is informed that he has a couple of weeks to find a wife so he can assume the family business. In order to show that Junior is a natural Santa, he exhibits probably every single child molester warning sign. In fact, he's kinda like Michael Jackson, but with a real nose.

After that experience, I somehow doubt "Meet the Santas" will be like "Meet the Fockers" minus the toilet-flushing kitty cat.

I thought it couldn't possibly get any worse after someone actually made a cartoon movie based on the song "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer." Well, come to think of it it didn't get worse, but nearly as bad. Grandma would be a tough one to out-do.
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear brighter before you hear them speak.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Gray's Anantomy

Tonight's Episode: "Grandma Got Run Over by a Raindeer"

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Watch "A Christmas Story" and "Miracle on 34th Street" and "A Charlie Brown Christmas"--can't beat the classics. Some of the newer things you mention are so horrific I find myself hoping for some really nasty act of God--famine? locusts?--to take these cloyingly sweet families out. Ho Ho Ho.......

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't forget Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol.:cheers:
    ...Just ask me...

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Best one may be childish, but it is still the greatest. The Muppet Christmas Carol.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Omigod! I, like, totally saw "A Carol Christmas" with Tori Spelling the other night. And to make it even better, it had Gary Coleman and William Shatner. Nothing says Christmas (I mean, "Holiday Season") like Bill Shatner!
    Spelling played a TV talk show host who was on the path to Springer-dom. After her journey to Christmases past, present and future she: a) tripled her assistant's salary, b) sent her entire staff to Hawaii - with their families and c) agreed to endorse a host of products - with ALL the proceeds going directly to the homeless. Unfortunately there wasn't enough time for her to find a way to feed the poor African children by supersizing the AIDS virus and then killing it, thus creating both a vaccine and a tasty BBQ recipe.
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear brighter before you hear them speak.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    uh - hate all of them role on January

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    Best one may be childish, but it is still the greatest. The Muppet Christmas Carol.

I LOVE THE MUPPETS!!!! Anything Muppets I am all over. I just bought the first season on the Muppet show on DVD. One of my favortie scenes is when Scrooge tells the rats they can have a job or more coal to keep warm and they all say "heatwave" and dance around in tropical garb. I coulda been a writer for those guys.

I like Scrooged and of course the obligatory A Christmas Story....
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Muppet Love

Quote Originally Posted by karen
    I LOVE THE MUPPETS!!!! Anything Muppets I am all over. I just bought the first season on the Muppet show on DVD. One of my favortie scenes is when Scrooge tells the rats they can have a job or more coal to keep warm and they all say "heatwave" and dance around in tropical garb. I coulda been a writer for those guys.

I like Scrooged and of course the obligatory A Christmas Story....
    Best Christmas song (I think I heard it on a Muppet Christmas special):

I don't know if you believe in Christmas
    or if you have presents underneath a Christmas tree
    but if you believe in love
    that will be more than enough
    for you to come and celebrate with me
    for I have held the precious gift that love brings
    even though I never saw a Christmas star
    I know there is a light I have felt it burn inside
    and I have seen it shining from afar

Christmas is the time to come together
    a time to put all differences aside
    and I reach out my hand to the family of man
    to share the joy I feel at Christmas time

for the truth that binds us all together
    I would like to say a simple prayer
    that at this special time you will have true peace of mind
    and joy to last throughout the coming year

and if you believe in love
    that will be more than enough
    for peace to last throughout the coming year
    and peace will last throughout the year.

John Denver, I think.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    There is something sublime about the Charlie Brown Christmas special, especially the scene with the ice skating to "Christmastime is Here" (or is it "Skating"?). Can't beat the dance party during rehearsal, either, with some of those moves. Or Linus' quoting of Luke. That's good stuff.
    http://wilstar.com/xmas/cbxmas.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by drk; 12-14-2005 at 01:23 PM.

Thread Information