Thread: glaucoma treatment

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

glaucoma treatment

Does anyone have a good method to market the fact that now we are now treating glaucoma . We purchased a HRT3, Humphreys VF and fundus camera

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optimark
    Does anyone have a good method to market the fact that now we are now treating glaucoma . We purchased a HRT3, Humphreys VF and fundus camera
    It sounds like you are diagnosing it rather than treating it.

Many health problems can be detected early by regular sight testing (diabetes if I remember correctly is one), maybe your pitch could revolve around this.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    what treatment do you do?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are looking for early diagnosis and we will be treating with drugs. I am an optician and my knowledge of glaucoma diagnosis and treatment is limited but I am learning more day by day. I am working with my OD in developing a glaucoma practice as an addition to my retail store What is the best way to promote this service?

Bad address email on file
    Optimark, will you be the one treating the diseases? If so, who will fit the glasses? And what will the OD be doing?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    You don't market glaucoma management, nor do you market any other specific eye disease management. You do it, provide a service, get remunerated, reinvest to improve the service, etc.

We have to be careful not to treat all "eye related" issues the same. Medicine and optical are as far apart as east is to west. You are applying optical store principles to medical care.

Is your practice committed to medical care, or just another profit center? I sound harsh, but there's a principle, here. Medical providers think in terms of public health, optical providers think in terms of competing in a marketplace. If you are committed to medical care, look at what the public health needs are in your community and endeavor to serve them. Remember that the medical system is vast and integrated, and that you will have most success in connecting to it, as opposed to "carving out a niche".

I applaud your efforts.

OptiBoardaholic
    There is nothing wrong with marketing as long as you are honest and professional. drk does make a very good point and the good news is that the visual field and photo units are great for many things. One thing that I can tell you is that TV advertising works. I hear that statistically it isn't so great but I see toooooo much return on it to say that it isn't worth it. TV would give you an oppurtunity to show the public what you offer including some of your new technology. Even more important is your internal marketing. Make every patient that enters your practice aware of your upgrades and make them feel good knowing that you have the resources to manage many severe ocular afflictions including glaucoma.

Just trying to give you something to go on, I know that nothing I have said is revolutionary but maybe someone else will chime in with some creative marketing schemes.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Service rendered.............................

Quote Originally Posted by drk
    You don't market glaucoma management, nor do you market any other specific eye disease management. You do it, provide a service, get remunerated, reinvest to improve the service, etc.
    Very well said drk, ....................ther has to be a line drawn between commercializing and rendering a health service,

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    IMHO...
    Optimark and Rasandr...The HRT is utilized to monitor optic nerve (nerve fiber layer) changes over time. So, it is used in the diagnosis and managment of glaucoma.

Drk and Chris...While I am definately against generating profit centers just to provide things that patients don't need, I think this is equally wrong whether we're talking about optical goods or medical services. It is just wrong to "sell" people things because it generates profit. Whether it is optical or medical doesn't make it more wrong or right.

I do feel, however, that as optical/medical providers ( and I am referring to everyone here...all three Os), we do have to market ourselves and our practices, especially us independants (no one is going to do it for us). If we have chosen to invest and specialize in a particular area, we need to let our clientele know what we can offer. There really shouldn't be too much difference in our approach whether the product or service is medical or optical. It should be professional at all times.

I hope I am making myself clear here.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are looking for early diagnosis and we will be treating with drugs. I am an optician and my knowledge of glaucoma diagnosis and treatment is limited but I am learning more day by day. I am working with my OD in developing a glaucoma practice as an addition to my retail store What is the best way to promote this service?
    You can not provide a diagnosis as an optician any where. This is your OD's scope of practice. Let him promote his abilities.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is a interesting development. It seems he is working with his DR. In the days when pricing of product at the lowest common denominator, this might be a savvy move. please let us know how it goes

in terms of marketing, i would say get the local DR's on board, from any dicipline... Invite them all over for a wine and cheese party, and perhaps a lecture or talk.. they will be the ones who ultimatally refer to you

Thread Information