Thread: Yet another use for 3M leap pads...

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Lightbulb

Last evening, I replaced the exhaust manifold on my truck (thanks for the technical assistance, Darris- for those of you who don't know, Darris is the Darryl of shade tree mechanics ;) ).

Anyway, there's this little doughnut-like thing that goes between the manifold and the down pipe (strangely enough, its called a "doughnut flange"). You have to hold it in while working the manifold into place. Invariably, the *&#$ thing falls out... After wrestling with it for about 15 minutes, I thought "what can I use to keep this thing in place till I get it in?" Then I thought of the trusty old leap pads I keep in the garage. Snip a little piece, and wallah! Piece of cake.

Of course, the little snippet will burn out pretty quickly, but it served its purpose. Its not every day that I can think of a new use for the little round black things, but they've performed dozens of functions (from holding up posters to stopping a squeak behind a dashboard, etc.). What's your most ingenious use for the versatile little leap pad? Heck, we should sell em for use around the house...

Pete "give me a pd stick and a roll of leap pads, and I'll conquer the world" Hanlin

Pete,

Just don't use too many or POOF!!!

I have done a bunch of things with them over the years........my speakers are held onto my monitor with them....they work great to keep your little pencil holder thingee from sliding around in the top drawer of your desk too. Ya know you can buy em in stores too....I doubt if they are exactly the same thing that we use in the biz but they sure look the same.

Henry "Mcgyver" B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Noble Leap Pad! God's Gift to Mankind!

now, if only they could keep a block straight on a lens........

Arrow

Boy, I tell you what, They just talk about almost anything on this little site, don't they?

I got a kick out of reading the 1st passage to the multiple uses of the 3m blocking pad!

What's even more funny is that I ocassionally find myself using them for odd little things around the store. Little did I know that someone else shared my secret. At a lab I once worked for, everyone would save them by sticking them into a huge ball, all stuck to each other. (it did get a little boring at times).

And to top it off, I laughed even harder when I realized that if our favorite buddy, Mike Hunt is reading this right now, You just know that he's bored out of his bal-headed little mind. Sorry, Mike, we're only Human!

Eyeguy-01

[This message has been edited by new_eyeguy_01 (edited 09-28-2000).]

[This message has been edited by new_eyeguy_01 (edited 09-28-2000).]

I have seen alot of people do that too....I have seen guys make anything from anatomy to dragons with those things.....even had a guy make a bowling ball with finger holes once.....

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Seems to me they should have a booth at Vision Expo for leap pad sculptures... it would probably get a lot of traffic. Then again, the super-waifs and eye candy that seem to float around at such events have probably never seen a leap pad!

When I think about it, I have leap pads in a lot of things around here (the fax machine, the phone, my car, our fining machines, on the bottom of keyboards, on our frame displays...). What a versatile little invention, this leap pad.

------------------

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused

"1001 Uses for the Leap Pad", by EyeManFla.
    Published by Dewey,Cheatem and Howe Publications.
    Available at your nearest adult book store or you may order on line at:
    www.ifyourdumbenoughtobuyitwewillsellit.com

$39.99

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Howdy Pete,

So far about the only use I have found for the now famous Leap Pad during automotive work is to butterfly the various wounds I get closed. Bleeding and working with tools just doesn't mix well. I usually use a combination of brake dust, metal shavings, brake fluid and high temp grease which forms a pasty type substance that fills in the open wounds nicely ;-) Grease by itself usually works pretty well for this; the dirtier the better.

My wife says I need to go in to get a Tetanus shot. I told her that a little lock jaw never hurt anyone :-) Not to mention, like the Miller Lite commercial says "...and the grease...well that's just extra flavor to a Miller Lite man."

Grease is as American as Baseball, Hot Dogs and Apple Pie. You haven't lived until you jam a knuckle into a locking flange tab, crushed your finger between the motor and the motor mount or burned yourself on hot exhaust components. NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL ENTERTAINMENT!!! If you haven't done any of these things, well you just aren't a real man. Ain't that right Pete? :-)

I'd like to use these simplifying suggestion, but unless the frustration level rises to the point of obscenity it just isn't mechanic work now is it? ;-)

Take care,

Darris "360 footpounds of torque on this impact wrench? Is that ALL?!?" Chambless

Occupation
    Optical Retail

We had a little mouse that was running around the office, so we spread a dozen or so leap-pads on a small tray with a bit of cheese, left it overnight and presto... the following morning.... we'd caught the mouse.

He doesn't LEAP anymore!!!!

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

The Build A Better Mouse Trap Award goes to Clive Noble. So Clive, were you trying to be humane or were you just very, very board?

Do you think people who fall for the lens stretcher would be willing to don hard hats and hang themselves from steel girders using nothing but leap pads?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Clive, I guess there aren't as many cats in Haifa as Jerusalem? BTW, I saw the Shamir kibbutz about 10 years ago. Fascinating stuff.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use them on the bottom of pictures and any thing else that I don't want to have scratch my end tables. I do custom shape them though!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Was just in a lab that had a head made out of leap pads - not just a small head, but a full sized complete head... ears, and all. Along side it was a trophy. The trophy said;

1st place, 2nd annual OLA 3M Lead Pad Contest 1997.

It was a great trophy and display. They also had a NASCAR car built out of pads too. Although I don't recall seeing the contest at the OLA in recent years, perhaps it should be re-activated.

Thread Information