Thread: QuickBooks

OptiBoard Apprentice

QuickBooks

We're using a database for all of our patient information and QuickBooks for keeping track of the patients accounts. We set each patient up in QuickBooks and invoice them for their services/hardware. We are going to transition to use the database for invoices, but still want to use QuickBooks for accounting.

Does anyone have their office set up like this? What info are you putting into QB besides expenses. I was thinking of just putting in our daily totals for each CPT code into QB, but not sure. Should money received for the day be put into QB as a single line?

Suggestions?

Occupation
    Optometrist

Quickbooks and MS Access

I use MS Access/SQL Server 2000 for my patient database and Quickbooks Pro for accounting information.

Quickbooks can take care of Inventory, Invoices, and basically all of your accounting information.

I set up an "Item List" which includes all CPT Codes for every kind of office visit. I also include all the contacts that we sell, frames, and lenses for glasses. These items pop-up on the invoices when we check patients out.
    At the end of the day, we deposit the payments we receive for the day to match up with Quickbooks. I would highly suggest you consult with a CPA who is familiar with QB to get it set up correctly.

Joe T, OD

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Joe: Thanks for the reply. It sounds like you're doing what we're already doing. We have each patient set up in QB and make invoices for each patient.

I was trying to find out if anyone uses QB and just enters the totals from the day vs per individual patient.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Lance,

I’d run this by your accountant.

If QuickBooks is your only accounting system where will you record each individual patient transaction? Remember, the secondary purpose of your accounting business process is to provide you with timely information on which to base business decisions. The prime directive comes from the IRS and mandates that all business maintain a single set of complete records.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We use quickbooks for all of our pt transactions, but I run a seperate quickbooks on another computer, that only my bookeeper, my accountant, and I have access to. THe bookeeper post the monthly sales of the computers on the sales floor, and pays all the bills and post the deposits (in bulk) to the other. It keeps it reallt clean and seperated, plus you can customize them so you don't have a lot of options (like undeposited funds, reminders, etc..) getting in the way. We also have a pt. database that we make appts. on, file the exams, and do recalls with. It is a little cumbersome at times, but we have a ton of really good reoprts at our fingertips. Quickbooks allows me to track my sales better than any ophthalmic program I've seen.

Effective this Oct., we've begun scanning every pt. document into a seperate hardrive, and sending the paper down to the warehouse to be stored. So far, so good, and we've already gotten rid of 3 bookshelf type file cabinets.

Occupation
    Johns,

I am not sure where your location “North Coast” is but in the USA it is highly illegal to run two sets of book. Check out the WorldCom case:

“Scott Sullivan, 42, the former finance chief at WorldCom, testified that Ebbers pushed him every quarter from 2000 to 2002 to hit the marks set by Wall Street analysts -- regardless of the company's performance. He also testified that he helped create two sets of accounting books as part of his plans to inflate revenues.

That being said, maintaining two sets of data presents a lot of problems relating to data consistency. You are just asking for trouble and at some point in time you will find that you have bogus data, particularly if you have more than one user with access to adding or updating your tables. You can use two instances of QuickBooks or any other application as long as they do not contain the same data. I hope that is what you are referring to.

I have been fooling around with the beta of Microsoft Office Small Business Management Edition 2006 and recently received and installed the production version. I believe that this is the solution that we have all been waiting for.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

...and now I'm stuck in Folsom prison...

rbaker:

You have mistaken me for someone who buys designer frames!!!

If I were so inclined as to be involved in illegal activities such as you have described, I first of all wouldn't do so by involving a computer program; secondly, I wouldn't involve a CPA and my bookeeper; and thirdly, I wouldn't broadcast it to the cyberworld.

I don't keep two set of books!!! I keep one set of books in two different places. Please re-read my post that says I use one computer to pay the bills and enter the income, the other to do all the point of sale. I use two sets of computers, not two set of books. It's all one program, but I limit the access of those that work for me.

A very close relative was called in to testify on the MCI/Worldcom case, and trust me, this is not even remotely similar to anything like that.

Re: Office Small Bus. Mgmt Edition 2006, unless they tweeked the state tax tables, I'd steer clear unless your doing only very limited accounting on it.(My accountants opinion, no mine). I've heard much better reports about the Peachtree pkg, but I haven't looked to closely because qbooks has been great so far.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ok, I see where you're coming from

Rbaker:

I re-read the post myself, and see how you may have thought what you did, but no, I'm legit.

:cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Still doesn't answer where "North Coast" is, which I've been wondering about, too. :D

C-10
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I run Quick books to do my accounting and EZ frame from lux to keep my records on my clients

EZ frame will control my patient record total sale at the end of day make payment control inventory etc Then just take our totals put them into QB and do our accounting.

Occupation
    Johns said:

Re: Office Small Bus. Mgmt Edition 2006, unless they tweeked the state tax tables, I'd steer clear unless your doing only very limited accounting on it.(My accountants opinion, no mine).

Can you please elaborate on this issue with the tax tables. I have two clients who are in production with SBA 2006. One of them does business nationally and collects State sales taxes from his customers in every State that has a sales tax. Additionally some of his clients have local taxes that must be accounted for. He has had absolutely no issues with sales taxes.

C-10 said:

I run Quick books to do my accounting and EZ frame from lux to keep my records on my clients

A little bit of duplicated effort here but this seems to be the best solution. I have not seen a turnkey optical management application that has accounting functions nearly as capable as any of the off the shelf accounting packages such as QuickBooks, Quicken, Peachtree, MS Money or MS Small Business Accounting.

Thread Information