Thread: Martial Arts

Bad address email on file

Martial Arts

Does anyone take Aikido? I'm thinking about trying it. I've taken Tae Kwon Do in the past and I have enjoyed it, except it's very hard on the knees. Also, please describe any other martial arts you recommend.

Bad address email on file Lynne's Avatar

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by Chairtime
    Does anyone take Aikido? I'm thinking about trying it. I've taken Tae Kwon Do in the past and I have enjoyed it, except it's very hard on the knees. Also, please describe any other martial arts you recommend.
    My husband took Aikido when he was younger, and tells me that it is much easier on the body than karate, and Tae Kwon Do, both of which he used to do. Now at 68 his exercise is gardening and yard work! Both my sons also took Aikido as pre-teens, and enjoyed it. Not disciplined enough to continue tho'.....

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Until I had knee surgery last February, I trained in Shotokan Karate, acheiving a modest 5th kyu. It's hard on the knees and feet, but worth the effort. I will begin again when my knee is a bit stronger. Keep in mind that there is more to the study of any martial art than just punching and kicking. It requires a great deal of mental discipline as well. My advice is to visit the dojos of different schools until you find one where you are comfortable. They will become like your own family. My own sensei and sempai while younger than I, treat me as a daughter as well as a friend and I never forget my place as a karate-ka.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was a Judo Fiend (just achieved 2nd Dan) Before a drunk driver nearly killed me, breaking legs shoulders and pelvis. I prefered Judo - no hitting kicking and screaming

Bad address email on file
    I understand Aikido is what the Samurai used. Similar to Judo because there is no hitting your opponent, only defending against attacks. I'm told it takes 4 YEARS to get a black belt in Aikido.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All martial arts are defensive arts. O Sensei Funakoshi taught that there is no first attack in karate.

Shodan (1st dan or first degree black belt) is a major acheivement that serious karateka understand can take many years to attain. I had the honor to train two times with Enoeda Sensei before his death. A most revered member of JKA, he was awarded his 9th dan posthumously in 2003. You can visit my dojo at www.jkava.com.
    Osu.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've taken Judo and Jiujitsu for 3 years. Enjoyed both alot.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I gave up all of them after being discharged from the USMC

Thread Information