Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Essilor lens for me?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Standard Anti-Reflective? Kind of like calling Zeiss' Super ET "SET", which I see on lab invoices from time to time.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    if you worry about weigh you have to think about abbe on poly lens
    compare between weigh and abbe , i choose abbe first

then the best choise is
    Varilux Panamic Orma knife edging (dimeter depend to frame side)

or
    Rodenstock Impression ILT Xs
    this lens is so good with instant adaptation will help you to get use quicker
    but you must check all correct FFA , CVD befor put it on
    no another lens in the world have far vision as wide as this lens

:):):)
    :drop: :drop: :drop: :drop: :drop:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Optical
    If you are looking for the lightest lens, then you are looking for Trivex. Hoya makes a great Trivex product called Phoenix and Younger makes an excellent product called Trilogy. Single Vision, Single Vision Trans Gray/Brown, Bifocals, Bifocal Transitions Gray, Trifocal 7x28, along with a bevy of progressive lenses such as the Hoya Summit ECP and CD, Hoya GP Wide and Younger Image.

Hoya Super HiVision is also an excellent Super Hydrophobic AR coating that offers excellent scratch resistance.

O yeah, BTW, Trivex meets the highest impact resistance standards set be the US FDA.

Adam

Adam

I'll ask about this, thanks.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by roxysmom
    Hi Dd--Ok--I am thinking I went to the same chain store as you--with the 50% off deal--is all I can say is they stand behind their guarantee and will refund your money-100%...after I got my refund-i went to the independant dealer, and that is where I found my Shamir lenses which I love, love, LOVE!!
    With the Chain store glasses-they first got my astigmatism correction wrong in my left eye-so that was 3 redos right there before I noticed that the computer slip read 068 rather than 080. I asked the guy about it and he said no--it's supposed to be 068-we called your doctor and double checked-when in fact-they had not double checked-I called my doctor myself to find out--so they lied to me, then tried to tell me that it was still within "tolerance". It definitely was not in tolerance-I had alot of eye pain and headache. then after talking to my doctor-I went back and insisted they redo the lenses with the correct prescription-well by now they weren't being real nice to me-but I didn't care.After having them redone yet again-at least I was told they had been redone--I still did not have clear vision and still alot of eye pain. At that point-I asked for my money back which they gave me.
    So--I don't think the savings was worth it. It caused alot of unnecessary trips back and forth, and 3 1/2 weeks of pain trying to wear those glasses.
    At the independant optician I went with--I used a pair of frames that I already had, and my lenses were $450.00. My optician was more than willing to use my old frames--he said they were in great shape, and he felt confident having me use them. He never pressured me to purchase frames from his store--which were 400-500 dollars--way out of my budget. In fact, he told me if I wanted new frames-I could purchase them anywhere-online, ebay, another store, and then bring them in and order my lenses from him.
    So--to sum it all up--my lenses were 450.00. From the chain dealer-my complete pair of glasses had cost me $362.00 after the 50% off deal. So with out the 50% off they would have been $724.00-and I still would not have been able to wear them.
    Whatever brand of lenses you decide on-I think you will be so much happier with premium lenses, and a good optician will do what mine did regarding the frame. they will also be able to answer all of your questions, and will not mind you asking all sorts of questions. They will also give you straight answers and will be knowledgeable about the brand of lenses they sell.
    I also want to again recommend the Crizal alize AR coating. I have never been so happy with a pair of glasses!
    Good luck with whatever you decide!!
    Wow... a hellish nightmare to be sure, as Hunter S. Thompson would say.
    The 50% sale is over now so...
    I think what I'm going to do now is try and find someone that I'm comfortable with and stay away from the chains altogether.
    I might have the eye exam done again by whoever I end up choosing for the glasses... just to eliminate a variable. I think there are some reasonably priced independent optician's out there, I may have to make a few more calls to find them. I'll try to get the Crizal alize too.
    Thanks.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    Sola One is the name of the progressive. Sola One....that is the name.

Your prescription will be fine in standard plastic. It blocks over 90% of uv but not as much as poly does.

If a place is selling lenses for 50% off all the time you gotta wonder if they are marking up their lenses to put them on sale. How many do they really sell at the "full price".

Lenscrafter will refund your money if you aren't happy, but their warranty if your glasses break or scratch isn't so great. They charge you a copay for warranties.

I work for an independent optomometrist. Our progressives start at $195.00 and Varilux Panamic is less then $250.00 We give a free warranty on them. We sell lots of frames for under $130.00 and all our frames have a free one year warranty. I think these prices are in line with most chains like Eyemasters and Lenscrafters. Not all independents are super expensive.

I am happy cause I have a great life! :D
    Well, I'm sure they were marked up at 320 for ovation poly lenses but 160 and half off all frames is still about the least expensive I've found.
    Soon as they told me the anti-glare coating is put on at the factory and they don't know what kind it is I became cautious though.

The guy at lenscrafters (50% off lenses only at that time) totally gave me the wrong info. He told me they use Sola and the next time I called it was
    something else. I'm not asking esoteric questions here... just who makes their lenses. :)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LensCrafters uses several different brands.

The current A/R of choice is their Scotchguard brand. They carry a few single vision coated lens in stock, but all multifocals are coated at an independent specialty lab. They are an Essilor product, so the coating is only available those products, Ovation or Varilux in Poly or 1.67 plastic. It is similar to the Crizal Alize, but doesn't carry the same warranty.

The other option is their regular A/R. It can be applied to any material. It is applied at an Essilor lab as well.

Other progressive manufacturers they carry include, Vision Ease and Sola.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Adam,

Okay Crizal coating or Crizal Alize either way these coatings are available on Shamir Products.

Jerry

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee
    LensCrafters

It is applied at an Essilor lab as well.
    What I wouldn't give for a few invoices that show this... :)

Adam

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thornhill
    Adam,

Okay Crizal coating or Crizal Alize either way these coatings are available on Shamir Products.

Jerry
    Jerry,

I seriously doubt this claim. I don't know if perhaps Pete Hanlin is reading this thread and could fill us in, but I am almost positive this is not the case. One reason I am so confident that you can not get Crizal and/or Crizal Alize on Shamir products is because if you could, I would be ordering it. One of the major problems we have with many PALs is not the quality of the design, but rather the quality of the coating that can be applied to it.

We have tried many custom coatings (non stock lenses) and the only ones that seem to consistantly hold up in WI are Teflon, HiVision, Super HiVision, Crizal, and Crizal Alize'. I have been told that I am way off many times and that Coating ABC is just as good, but the proof is in the pudding, or in this case, the remakes/defects.

Perhaps people in WI bathe their lenses in gasoline, Jagermeister, and Miller High Life... or perhaps I am too honest about remakes.

Adam

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What I wouldn't give for a few invoices that show this... :)

Adam
    Well.. I don't want to have to deal with LC's legal department...

When I worked for them, it didn't seem to be a big deal to tell patients who made their coating.. especially when those who would ask for Crizal would be told that our regular coating was a generic version made by the same manufacturer.. and 2) if you wanted actual Crizal it would cost more and take longer since we would have to order it from a different outside lab.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Hi adam--My optician showed me their latest availability chart from November of this year, and according to that chart he is able to order his shamir lenses with crizal coatings. I highly doubt that he had that chart "made up" to lie to his customers, just as I highly doubt that Jerry is lying. why would either person do that? Perhaps you need to find a new lab if you wish to have crizal coatings on Shamir products???
    Jerry,

I seriously doubt this claim. I don't know if perhaps Pete Hanlin is reading this thread and could fill us in, but I am almost positive this is not the case. One reason I am so confident that you can not get Crizal and/or Crizal Alize on Shamir products is because if you could, I would be ordering it. One of the major problems we have with many PALs is not the quality of the design, but rather the quality of the coating that can be applied to it.

We have tried many custom coatings (non stock lenses) and the only ones that seem to consistantly hold up in WI are Teflon, HiVision, Super HiVision, Crizal, and Crizal Alize'. I have been told that I am way off many times and that Coating ABC is just as good, but the proof is in the pudding, or in this case, the remakes/defects.

Perhaps people in WI bathe their lenses in gasoline, Jagermeister, and Miller High Life... or perhaps I am too honest about remakes.

Adam

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Adam is the lab!

In addition to Crizal/Alize, I have been getting the Shamir product with Zeiss's Advantage AR, their equivalent of Essilor's Alize AR, and because the product is available without a factory hard coat, I would think that any of the newer "slick coated" AR formulations will be compatible with the Shamir line of lenses.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro
    Adam is the lab!

In addition to Crizal/Alize, I have been getting the Shamir product with Zeiss's Advantage AR, their equivalent of Essilor's Alize AR, and because the product is available without a factory hard coat, I would think that any of the newer "slick coated" AR formulations will be compatible with the Shamir line of lenses.
    LoL. Been awhile since I have been called 'the man', so being called 'the lab' will just have to do.

Now this is getting a bit confussing to me. Now I have two people telling me that they can get Alize' on Shamir lenses. I understand you both are ORDERING Alize', but I highly doubt you are actually getting it. Lenses actually have to be approved to recieve Crizal and Crizal Alize' AR coating. So the only way you could get getting Alize' on a Shamir is if you are working with an Indepedent lab that is putting the coating on lenses that Essilor does not have on their approved list, hence the "rogue" commment early in this thread.

You may order one thing and be getting another... like Robert mentioned about the Carat Advantage. The lab you are working with might be looking at your order and substituting the best alternative? I am sticking to my guns, untill you can produce some evidence. Here it is again.... http://www.crizalpro.com/Crizal_Availability_2005.pdf
    another thing to consider is that this chart is actually for consumers... So again.. I highly doubt any Shamir lens with Alize'...

Adam

I really need help.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I can't confirm this one way or the other, but I might point out that Adam, the Crizal availability PDF you linked to is from 4/05, and roxysmom is talking about an availability chart from this November. The one thing I can confirm is that labs typically have the new chart (labeled as a chart for labs) about a month before the opticians get theirs (labeled as a chart for opticians), so Essilor may just be (very) slow in getting you the new one, or updating their website.

And if there's a November chart out there that my lab rep hasn't yet gotten to me, perhaps I should break off a call....

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by spartus
    And if there's a November chart out there that my lab rep hasn't yet gotten to me, perhaps I should break off a call....
    I broke off two calls to Essilor Lens reps and one PM to Pete Hanlin and did not get a definiative answer from any of them. I also broke off a call to my Crizal Processing Center and they told me... NO. Just so that everyone knows, I am not fighting this. I am simply saying that I need to know so that I can stop putting Crap AR on my Shamir lenses.. Crap compared to Alize that is.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Dd
    I'm looking at possibly getting my first pair of glasses after using readers for the last five years. I finally had my eyes checked and was told I need a progressive no-line lens. I have to say that I'm amazed at the lack of professionalism that I've encountered so far.
    Join the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Dd
    Many outfits look at you like you have two heads if you ask what brand lens they are selling you
    or what kind of anti-glare coating. Sure... I don't care... it's only money. :hammer:
    So much misinformation... but I guess this is true in everything nowadays.
    Thank goodness I've found this forum!
    Exactly how I felt.

[QUOTE=Dd]At the very least I might ignore the 50% off sales and read this forum for a few months before making a decision. I might just stick with the two pairs of readers I've been carrying... not sure. /]quote]

Wise.

I broke off two calls to Essilor Lens reps and one PM to Pete Hanlin and did not get a definiative answer from any of them. I also broke off a call to my Crizal Processing Center and they told me... NO. Just so that everyone knows, I am not fighting this. I am simply saying that I need to know so that I can stop putting Crap AR on my Shamir lenses.. Crap compared to Alize that is.

Adam
    Know that Crizal doesn't work well for all lens and variluz doesn't allow to put on all lens. Also Zeiss, Zeis Gradual is good.

LoL. Been awhile since I have been called 'the man', so being called 'the lab' will just have to do.

Now this is getting a bit confussing to me. Now I have two people telling me that they can get Alize' on Shamir lenses. I understand you both are ORDERING Alize', but I highly doubt you are actually getting it.
    I agree. I think that eployees there just say things like that ( to me) to get you feel sstisfied. That's when I made up my mind not to use that place at all. I think Zeiss Advantage goes with Shamir Office.

Lenses actually have to be approved to recieve Crizal and Crizal Alize' AR coating. So the only way you could get getting Alize' on a Shamir is if you are working with an Indepedent lab that is putting the coating on lenses that Essilor does not have on their approved list, hence the "rogue" commment early in this thread.

You may order one thing and be getting another... like Robert mentioned about the Carat Advantage. The lab you are working with might be looking at your order and substituting the best alternative? I am sticking to my guns, untill you can produce some evidence. Here it is again.... http://www.crizalpro.com/Crizal_Availability_2005.pdf
    another thing to consider is that this chart is actually for consumers... So again.. I highly doubt any Shamir lens with Alize'...
    I don't highly doubt that; I know that Shamir Office with Crizel is a lie.

I really need help.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee
    LensCrafters uses several different brands.

The current A/R of choice is their Scotchguard brand. They carry a few single vision coated lens in stock, but all multifocals are coated at an independent specialty lab. They are an Essilor product, so the coating is only available those products, Ovation or Varilux in Poly or 1.67 plastic. It is similar to the Crizal Alize, but doesn't carry the same warranty.
    Isn't Ovation polycarbonate lens?

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Adam
    My lab's sending me a new Crizal/Alize chart, dated November 29. I should have it tomorrow. I asked, and the rep on the phone said Shamir wasn't listed.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Well--then now I wonder what AR coating is on my lenses?? I know it is VERY easy to clean, and it does seem like they do not get smudged and dirty as fast as whatever I have had before. I definitely notice the difference when it comes to cleaning the lenses. I am going to ask my optician about this. I just don't know why they would tell me it is Alize if it isn't. Could the lab be putting alize on Shamir lenses if it isn't approved for them?

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by roxysmom
    Well--then now I wonder what AR coating is on my lenses?? I know it is VERY easy to clean, and it does seem like they do not get smudged and dirty as fast as whatever I have had before. I definitely notice the difference when it comes to cleaning the lenses. I am going to ask my optician about this. I just don't know why they would tell me it is Alize if it isn't. Could the lab be putting alize on Shamir lenses if it isn't approved for them?
    That is what I am wondering. Again, some opticians get almost brainwashed by brand names, especially those doing business soley with manufacture owned laboratories. I wonder if this has something to do with the 'lower than should be' AR penetration at Indepedent eye clinics? If they took the Wal-Mart approach and added the treatment into all of their lens costs, perhaps they would sell more? Instead of trying to explain to patients how to pronouce Crizal and Crizal Alize', they should focus on explaining the benefits and features of AR coatings. Personally I have not done a great deal of dispensing. I have helped out clinics that were short handed a dozen times or so. Never have I used the name Crizal or Crizal Alize'... but amazingly I am able to dispense AR coated lenses the vast majority of time by simply explaining the benefits. Unless the patient is asking for it by name, they really don't give a rip about the name.

Perhaps they subed Carat Advantage on the Shamir lenses, which is also very easy to clean. There is a whole family of treatments called super hydrophobic, all of wich have contact angles (ease of cleaning) above 110 degrees.

If spartus has the technology, I would love to have a copy of what he recieves.

Adam

Rising Star
    Occupation
    I agree Adam--I don't need to be hung up on the name-what matters is that whatever the coating is-I am very happy with it, so I guess I don't care what brand it is, as long as it holds up well. When I ordered my lenses, and my optician asked about AR coating-I initially said no, because I haven't been happy in the past with AR coatings, and how difficult they were to clean; that's when he mentioned Crizal Alize specifically, and assured me that I would love it...so-now I don't know what I have, but I am happy with it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have the November 1,2005 Eyecare Professionals availability chart in my hand, Shamir is NOT on it.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    If spartus has the technology, I would love to have a copy of what he recieves.

Adam

Didn't show up in today's courier box. I'll ask the lab to fax it to me today and get a copy to you shortly.

Thread Information