Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Safilo losing Polo?

Bad address email on file Mikef's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by High_Abbe
    Sorry Mike, I don't know exactly what you do, but you're just not in touch with what is really going on. You sound like a frame rep spouting off about this and that, but not having anything relevant to say about what's going on in my industry....much less my business. No offense but, you just don't have a clue as to what is actually going on in this industry. Maybe you should take some time out and really evaluate what you see in different dispensaries before you start quoting other peoples studies.
    I have been doing this for 15 years. What I have noticed over the years is the most of the accounts I have visited have went from 2 or 3 brand names to about 75% brand names.

My favorite example of branding is the old Armani 132. That was the best selling frame of all time. It was a basic p3. Every company had the same frame in the same colors for less money and many times equal quality. But the 132 out sold all of then 10 times over.
    Last edited by Mikef; 03-02-2006 at 07:48 AM.

Bad address email on file Mikef's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

?

Polo did 100 million in 2005.

If Safilo just takes the name off those same styles and makes up some name how much do you think they would do?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That may be but, it's not because consumers are chasing down Polo frames, it's because frame reps convince ECPs that that's what's goning on. People buy what's in the store period.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can probably count on 1 hand how many of my patients over the years have asked about a specific brand.(usually it's a sunglass) I think they're more apt to ask about them when visiting a retail optical rather than an independant. I have to agree with High Abbe on this. Brand name doesn't seem to be a reason why my patients prefer one frame over another. Course maybe mikef's right...maybe they just trust me enough to purchase what I recommend. Yes, we do carry a few top name brands, but not because of the name persay but the frames themselves.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikef
    Polo did 100 million in 2005.

If Safilo just takes the name off those same styles and makes up some name how much do you think they would do?
    Again, you are talking about selling to stores not customers.

Brand names are used to help distinguish products from other products, but when you have sales people already doing that it does not matter.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In the rare air of high-end optical, specific brand names are a large part of what distinguishes us from the average shop. Couple that with exceptional customer service, highly-skilled Opticians and it becomes the formula for a very successful business.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Brand names......................

Quote Originally Posted by shellrob
    Brand name doesn't seem to be a reason why my patients prefer one frame over another. Course maybe mikef's right...maybe they just trust me enough to purchase what I recommend.
    Which would put it to the point where the consumer is hyped up by advertising to purchase brand names................but trust's the special professional the optician to purchase what he recommends.

Which also would say that in chain stores with non certieid professionals thelling of brand names is made easier for them employees.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think there is a certain expectation of quality in a product with a well-known brand name. Ralph Lauren/Polo, Armani, Chanel, Prada, Cartier, etc. branded products, regardless of what the product is, are expected to be a cut above the ordinary both in style and substance. It does make the product easier to sell, however in marketing to those expectations, the retailer(Optician, OD, frame stylist) must be ready and able to back it up with service.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Angels Rock
    Just curious to know how long you have been in business. Just venturing a quess I would say quite awhile which would explain why your customers or patients don't really give a hoot for brands. They are loyal to you and most will do what you steer them to.

Bingo ! Bingo ! Bingo !

When you learn that, you control your own destiny, and the destiny of you practice.

Our favorite line is, "Yes, that designer does have a name in ( ), but in eyewear, the true trendsetters are ( ). Let me show you why... (Complete the sale here)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Bleah!

The emperor has no clothes!

Branding is waaaay "O-ver-Ra-ted" (clap, clap, clap-clap-clap).

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    MillyWay
    Angel Rocks, by my estimation it is nearly 1:30am your time. Insomia?!?!

Doc[/QUOTE]

Actually yes. Have a hard time falling asleep. Once I get there have a hard time waking up.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by shellrob
    I can probably count on 1 hand how many of my patients over the years have asked about a specific brand.(usually it's a sunglass) I think they're more apt to ask about them when visiting a retail optical rather than an independant. I have to agree with High Abbe on this. Brand name doesn't seem to be a reason why my patients prefer one frame over another. Course maybe mikef's right...maybe they just trust me enough to purchase what I recommend. Yes, we do carry a few top name brands, but not because of the name persay but the frames themselves.
    I notice you are from Ohio and who knows where Abbe is from, above the spectrum. I am originally from Ohio and I can understand how you don't see it quite as much as I do in CA. I was in Newport Beach last month and every single person came in asking for a particular designer name. Every one. If the market is not shifting towards brands why is every frame company knocking itself out to sign some sort of name. The numbers prove itself out in companies across the board. The generic stuff is losing and the branded stuff is gaining.

It might not be in the smaller towns across America just yet but we all know once the trend starts out here and some of the other bigger cities it is just a matter of time before it spreads.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Just spoke with Ralph/Polo line rep. Yes, rumor is true.!! Was told they will carry frames for the next 16 months - However, knowing this they will not do any returns or exchanges for other Safilo product at this time.:finger: Apparently they are working on another new line yet to be named they want to exchange out for. Rep said no way on returns now or they would go bankrupt and she would be out a job!!!! Believe me it will not be another Safilo line that I take on after this.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by drk
    Bleah!

The emperor has no clothes!

Branding is waaaay "O-ver-Ra-ted" (clap, clap, clap-clap-clap).
    I'm surprised in college town as big as Columbus you don't take more advantage of the branding opportunities. College kids are the most brand sensitive of anybody.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I'm shocked!!!

Our practice has been around for over 70 years. In the past couple of years, we started carying more brand names. Our business has grown by at least 50% and our average sale price has almost doubled. We never had anyone come in asking for brand names, now we have customers who refer friends based soley on the brands we now carry. The biggest change in our shops have been the brand names.

I try to make business decisions, not emotional decisions.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm from Fairfax Virginia......not exactly podunk....

Occupation

Blue Jumper MillyWay frames...............

Quote Originally Posted by Angels Rock
    MillyWay

Angel Rocks, by my estimation it is nearly 1:30am your time. Insomia?!?!
    MillyWay is my brand name...........you can all use it for free. You can sell any non branded frame as a Milly Way frame, and for less money because you got a free license from Chris Ryser to counter the brand name craze and the patient gets a real big price break.

And if you are a good salesperson you will actually sell a lot of Milly Way frames.

Occupation

Thumbs down Exact opposite..................

View Poll Results: What is the biggest determining factor for patients when they are purchasing a frame?

Because a frame is brand named. 2......... 13.33%

Because a frame looks and feels good. 13......... 86.67%

How about the results of a poll on another thread..............would indicate the exact opposite of what has been stated and sworn on this thread.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OH! Now I get it! Sorry,I'm a little slow!!
    All of the manufacturers spend millions on licensing designers because it really just looks nice to have someone elses name on their frames. The manufacturers haven't quite figured it out yet that, people really don't go for the brand name thing! Some of you people are out of your mind!

Do you all dress in generic clothes? I bet you can rattle of the brand of the underwear you have on! Some of you prefer Fruit of the Loom and others prefer Hanes. Both basic branded names that are well known. Now how about Victoria Secret? They wouldn't quite be the same if it said Hanes now would they? Think about what comes to mind when you hear that name! Are they really selling underwear? Attitude baby!!

The HARLEY DAVIDSON analogy was perfect! You can buy a Honda for half the price of a HD....but, it's about attitude baby!!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=CME4SPECS]OH! Now I get it! Sorry,I'm a little slow!!

We forgive you......

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

truly a sad day

Speaking as a guy who previously repped Ralph for 7+ years I can tell you many of us worked very hard to build the line for Safilo. We had many years that the styles were very bland and boring but the "brand" always helped us through any rough spots. I can tell each and every one of you out there that Safilo did not want to lose this line. But thanks to the support of many independents Lux. had the deep pockets to lure the license from Safilo. I've been in a lot of accounts this week that directed anger at Safilo. I believe this anger is misdirected. Does anybody want to lose 10% of there overall revenue?

As far as branded product goes there will always be a strong market for it. But in speaking with a veteran rep the other day, I would agree that if I were a Manufacturer like Safilo
    I would be making up "new" brands with very cool product and not be so dependent on fickle, money driven designers. Look at Chesterfield, there is a house brand that has done very well for Safilo. They sell more in that line alone than many small frame companies do in overall volume. Remember, Safilo nor your RL rep (that whole food and shelter thing is pretty cool) chose to lose the RL line:finger:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by arkles
    In the past couple of years, we started carying more brand names. Our business has grown by at least 50% and our average sale price has almost doubled.

The biggest change in our shops have been the brand names.

1. You're business has doubled, and your cost of goods... has done what ?

2. I hope nobody ever says that the biggest change in our shops has only been the names we associate with.

3. I get very emmotional when I lose money !

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS
    OH! Now I get it! Sorry,I'm a little slow!!
    All of the manufacturers spend millions on licensing designers because it really just looks nice to have someone elses name on their frames. The manufacturers haven't quite figured it out yet that, people really don't go for the brand name thing! Some of you people are out of your mind!

Do you all dress in generic clothes? I bet you can rattle of the brand of the underwear you have on! Some of you prefer Fruit of the Loom and others prefer Hanes. Both basic branded names that are well known. Now how about Victoria Secret? They wouldn't quite be the same if it said Hanes now would they? Think about what comes to mind when you hear that name! Are they really selling underwear? Attitude baby!!

The HARLEY DAVIDSON analogy was perfect! You can buy a Honda for half the price of a HD....but, it's about attitude baby!!
    I don't think anyone here is denying that branding isn't important, in general. I think, though, that branding is not as big a deal in eyewear as in clothing and, say, motorcycles.

Sure, a good brand beats no brand, kind of, but it's vastly overrated. I think everyone here on the board knows that branded frames are essentially "house quality" with "in-house" designers that have maybe fifty ideas that they apply to about four hundred styles. The styling and quality in and of itself does not make the product special, but by adding a trendy label, it becomes more marketable.

I just think opticians should be smarter than that, and I think they should serve their consumers' best interests by providing REAL quality and REAL style for their hard-earned dollars. If it so happens to be a Prada or RL frame line that provides it, well then, I'm all for it.

But you shouldn't sell the sizzle intstead of the steak. (Trite, I know.)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by bmm
    Just spoke with Ralph/Polo line rep. Yes, rumor is true.!! Was told they will carry frames for the next 16 months - However, knowing this they will not do any returns or exchanges for other Safilo product at this time.:finger: Apparently they are working on another new line yet to be named they want to exchange out for. Rep said no way on returns now or they would go bankrupt and she would be out a job!!!! Believe me it will not be another Safilo line that I take on after this.
    You better check with your Safilo rep again because Lux takes over Ralph Lauren on Jan 1, 2007.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by arkles
    Our practice has been around for over 70 years. In the past couple of years, we started carying more brand names. Our business has grown by at least 50% and our average sale price has almost doubled. We never had anyone come in asking for brand names, now we have customers who refer friends based soley on the brands we now carry. The biggest change in our shops have been the brand names.

Maybe they didn't come asking for a particular brand but I will bet that they noticed how spiced up your store has become. Increase of 50% is nothing to sneeze at.:cheers:

Thread Information