Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Safilo losing Polo?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For me, it changes a lot. I carry a lot of Ralph Lauren product. This isn't good.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by shellrob
    For me, it changes a lot. I carry a lot of Ralph Lauren product. This isn't good.
    Yes and I do not want to give Luxottica anymore spaces. We do Eyemed and in the beginning they asked for more than what they have now, would like to do without them all together. If it weren't for the Eyemed I would. Love my Vogue rep., but not that much to keep the whole bunch

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ralph Lauren ophthalmics are easily replaceable. What bums me is that their kid's line is strong, and we sold a lot of Ralph sun.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

This may explain something....

Vision Monday has just reported the following:
    cut and pasted

Luxottica Signs 10-Year License with Polo Ralph Lauren Corp to Begin Jan 1, 2007

MILAN, Italy -- Luxottica Group (NYSE: LUX; MTA: LUX), announced earlier today that it had signed a ten-year license agreement with Polo Ralph Lauren Corp. (NYSE: RL) for the design, production and worldwide distribution of prescription frames and sunglasses under the Polo Ralph Lauren name.

The agreement, which will begin on January 1, 2007, is estimated to be worth for Luxottica Group in excess of $1.75 billion in sales over its duration, the company said. Terms include an advance payment on royalties of $199 million that will mature over the ten-year term of the agreement.

Leonardo Del Vecchio, chairman of Luxottica Group, commented: "We are extremely pleased to start 2006 with the announcement of a landmark agreement with one of the world's leading brands. Polo Ralph Lauren is truly a global brand and a perfect fit for our integrated approach to wholesale-retail distribution."

"We have high expectations for what Polo Ralph Lauren and Luxottica will accomplish together in years to come. Our partnership will especially benefit from our ability to support brands through a worldwide retail network."

Commenting on the development in Italy, Vittorio Tabacchi, Chairman of Padova-based Safilo Group, which has had a long-term relationship with the brand, stated, "During the negotiations for the renewal of the licence agreement significant differences became apparent which prevented us from reaching an agreement which was in line with our reciprocal interests. The consistency in terms of profitability of our licensed brands and the fundamental principle according to which royalties are not paid in advance remain the pillars on which the strategy of our company will continue to be based."

Safilo Group said that the business generated by the 5 sub-brands of the Polo Ralph Lauren Group represents approximately 10 percent of its total turnover. "In this regard Safilo Group communicates that negotiations are taking place both to expand existing licences to include other brands, and to sign new worldwide licence agreements. The price positioning and customer target at which these new brands will be aimed will allow the company to completely recover sales."
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile Get up late....................

Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson
    cut and pasted

Good Morning Harry......................................I posted same before 7 am
    :bbg: :D

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Is Luxottica just made of money, or what?:drop:

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Big players..................

Quote Originally Posted by drk
    Is Luxottica just made of money, or what?
    drk..............you yourself and all you other retailers are now crying about this incident........but it is you guys and girls that have made them rich.........

Now they are the big players and play it very well, I must admit by the reaction on today's optiboard.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry Chris, I missed it!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Come on now. I can't tell you how many opticians I know that refuse to stop carrying lux product. With their retail, acquisition, and wholesale business they are extremely successful. As most of the private ODs and Opticians are lamenting their eroding position in the eyecare industry, I suggest we look in the mirror and we will get a good idea of whose fault it is.

AA

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!

They receive a lot more money from a good number of people on this board at the beginning of each month.

Nobody should be surprised by Lux's next move, regardless of what it may be.

They're using a lot of your money to stick it rigth back to you.
    Last edited by Johns; 02-27-2006 at 03:26 PM. Reason: still kan't spell...

Occupation

Blue Jumper Support needed...............................

Quote Originally Posted by Johns
    They're using a lot of your money to stick it rigth back to you.
    I am glad that I get some support..........................

Occupation

Big Smile Make sale......................................

Quote Originally Posted by shellrob
    So now, if you'r serious, make a sale....................and then quit

Thumbs up WoooooooooHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Yeeeeeaaahhhh! I can finally convince the optical manager to get rid of it!

Bad address email on file Mikef's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I was in a very very busy OD practice this afternoon. I have spoken to the Doc about 5 times in 12 years for about 10 minutes total.(Mostly deal with the Opticians) When he saw me he came running! He asked me if there was going to be any down time between Safilo and Lux. He carries about 100 Polo frames right now and plans to keep 100 at all times. He wanted to know if he needed to stock up now. He also wanted to know how large the line was going to be when Lux lanches it.

I could'nt answer him because it was to early. But it alwalys interests me how strong business owners think!

Bad address email on file Mikef's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Also:

Polo has one of the strongest groups loyal to the brand. I think both Safilo and Luxottica know this.
    I would be shocked if Safilo did buy Polo from Lux for their stores.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikef
    When he saw me he came running! But it alwalys interests me how strong business owners think!

I guess I'm in good company...

When I see my Lux rep, I also have a strong urge to run!

:cheers:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    she said in her most whiniest rendition of Janice on FRIENDS:

Oh, My God !

Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson
    cut and pasted

Luxottica Signs 10-Year License with Polo Ralph Lauren Corp to Begin Jan 1, 2007

MILAN, Italy -- Luxottica Group (NYSE: LUX; MTA: LUX), announced earlier today that it had signed a ten-year license agreement with Polo Ralph Lauren Corp. (NYSE: RL) for the design, production and worldwide distribution of prescription frames and sunglasses under the Polo Ralph Lauren name.

The agreement, which will begin on January 1, 2007, is estimated to be worth for Luxottica Group in excess of $1.75 billion in sales over its duration, the company said. Terms include an advance payment on royalties of $199 million that will mature over the ten-year term of the agreement.

Leonardo Del Vecchio, chairman of Luxottica Group, commented: "We are extremely pleased to start 2006 with the announcement of a landmark agreement with one of the world's leading brands. Polo Ralph Lauren is truly a global brand and a perfect fit for our integrated approach to wholesale-retail distribution."

"We have high expectations for what Polo Ralph Lauren and Luxottica will accomplish together in years to come. Our partnership will especially benefit from our ability to support brands through a worldwide retail network."

Commenting on the development in Italy, Vittorio Tabacchi, Chairman of Padova-based Safilo Group, which has had a long-term relationship with the brand, stated, "During the negotiations for the renewal of the licence agreement significant differences became apparent which prevented us from reaching an agreement which was in line with our reciprocal interests. The consistency in terms of profitability of our licensed brands and the fundamental principle according to which royalties are not paid in advance remain the pillars on which the strategy of our company will continue to be based."

Safilo Group said that the business generated by the 5 sub-brands of the Polo Ralph Lauren Group represents approximately 10 percent of its total turnover. "In this regard Safilo Group communicates that negotiations are taking place both to expand existing licences to include other brands, and to sign new worldwide licence agreements. The price positioning and customer target at which these new brands will be aimed will allow the company to completely recover sales."

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'll bet Polo is hot in the northeast, you preppy bastages!:p

I think we'll live without it, here in the midwest. I'm loading up on Zyloware's John Deere!!!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    What's the mood going to be at VEE at the Polo Ralph Lauren/Safilo Booth going to be I wonder?

AA

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I think we'll live without it, here in the midwest. I'm loading up on Zyloware's John Deere!!!
    My receptionist is a John Deere lovin' farm girl that owns almost everything that has been painted John Deere green. She wanted to get that line in, and even had the rep call me. I told him to send me the whole line, as long as it was made in the USA.

I just couldn't see carrying such a tried and true American brand, and then having the farmers look it over and say "Huh! China!" Farmers in this area are the last group of people that still try to shun (I know-impossible) foreign made products, and I jsut couldn't do that to them.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns
    My receptionist is a John Deere lovin' farm girl that owns almost everything that has been painted John Deere green. She wanted to get that line in, and even had the rep call me. I told him to send me the whole line, as long as it was made in the USA.

I just couldn't see carrying such a tried and true American brand, and then having the farmers look it over and say "Huh! China!" Farmers in this area are the last group of people that still try to shun (I know-impossible) foreign made products, and I jsut couldn't do that to them.

So is John Deere made in USA? I have a patient who WILL NOT wear anything that is not made in USA (I need an American Flag icon here)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hey DRK, you are close to me, JOHN DEERE, thats interesting. Are you selling it now and is it doing good for you? I would only think it as farm country item. I hate to see RL, but he is OOOUUT Tha here. I will be expanding Giorgio Armani line to replaced RL. Don't despair ladies and gents, Lots lots of choices to pick from... I love this country, i will spend my money where it is best for my patient. For on thing, I ain't contributing to the evil empire.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I've glanced at some of the John Deere ads, I think I may have seen a catalog or brochure at some point, too. The styles are actually pretty nice-looking and not nearly as dated as, to name another Zyloware collection, Stetson.

It is pretty ridiculous that they're made in China, however. Some genius in marketing didn't think that one through.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    (John Deere was tongue-in-cheek, but I'm sure it's OK)

That's a good observation with the Giorgio license.

For cryin' out loud, it's only a license! To be truthful, I think the Polo brand is a little stale. If I were full-blooded Italian (not 1/2) and was in charge of the Safilo empire, I'd say "enough of the licensing dollars, already". They have, what, eight or so other designer licenses in their armamentarium...make those work!

Safilo's designers, IMO, are notoriously uncreative. The same dang look permeates every line! Why not just make Valentino, Emporio, Kate, NineW, Georigo, Gucci, Dior, Carrera, Saks, whatever else REALLY GOOD AND REALLY UNIQUE and leave Luxottica with 92 brands to deal with? They seem to think that they have to have their top "looks" in every line.

To sum: Polo. Big loss? Naw. Too many frames with too few ideas, already. Branding is stupid.
    Last edited by drk; 02-28-2006 at 03:40 PM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Please don't take this as a solicitation of business but I am curious as to weather or not there is another brand in the same vein that will resonate with the same type of polo eyewear consumer. Would it be possable for Lacoste to fill that void? (assuming the designs and product quality were on target).

Now I know that brands are the devil yadda, yadda.....but dealing with the reality of brands in our industry what is your guys opinion about a possable replacement?

Thanks.

Aaron

Thread Information