Thread: Nidek ICE-9000 serial communications

OptiBoard Novice

Nidek ICE-9000 serial communications

I have a client that has a Nidek ICE-9000 tracer/blocker and is having trouble setting the serial port to something other than 9,600 baud.

The reason for wishing to change the default is the software our client wishes to use can only be configured to run at 19,200 or higher baud rates.

It is assumed that other speeds are available only when connecting directly to another device such as an edger. Is this true?

TIA...tom..

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i wouldnt imagine the software dictates the baud speed. I would imagine the Serial Adaptor settings do - that is if the software is on a PC

OptiBoard Novice
    The software (Phi-Mail?) has the options of setting the speed of the serial port. That's not too hard to change if I had the source code for the program. Controling the serial port, in code, is not difficult.

OptiBoard Novice
    Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear in that I was attempting to set the speed of the serial port on the Nidek ICE-9000.

OptiBoard Novice
    I got my hands on the manual. It appears that the when used in an "RS232" enviroment, (as opposed to Mini-Lab or Entry/Extended Lab enviroment) the serial port defaults to 38,400 baud.
    The Essilor PhiMail program will set to this baud rate. However, it does not appear to be communicating. One of my assumptions is that the software doesn't use the same communications protocol.
    The sales rep that delivered the ICE-9000 to our client had no success in getting this to function and is why I have been asked to assist. The rep suggested a $5,000 total pratice management package. Having custom software for the other side (client and accounting) of the business, they don't wish to spend this kind of money. They would like to move forward. But, would to start by having the functionality they had using the PhiMail program and then working up to a fully networked system.

Any suggestions. Having worked with hardware and software in a number of different industries, I find that working with this market niche to be very secretive. No one seems to have much in the way of technical information available. I did manage to find the VCA/OMA communcations protocol specification. But, the cost of custom software for the control of the hardware to be prohibative. Otherwise I would write software to handle all the hardware from tracing to finished products. It seems that other packages are based mostly on the client info and accounting.

Any help would be appreciated...TIA...tom..

Thread Information