Thread: cornea ulcer and contact lens

OptiBoard Novice

cornea ulcer and contact lens

hello..i had cornea ulcer and it left a scar in my left eyes
    was wondering if it's safe for me to wear contacts still ,now after the infection is gone?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    the only way of telling is to go to see the doctor - they will examine your eyes under a special microscope and stain the front of your eye with a specific dye, which will let him/her know exactly what condition your eye is in.. DO NOT chance it. go see your practitioner. If you are given the OK, you ought to be in for regular visits, to double check you are still OK, over the next years

OptiBoard Novice
    ok thanks...but do u know what is the possiblity like of cornea ulcer patient being able to wear contacts lens in the future?
    Is there a chance that cornea ulcer patient can wear contacts?
    And why is it that after the cornea ulcer heals with a scar, contacts lens is not able to be worn?

hope u can help me address these questions if possible bcos it will take quite long before i return to see my doctor... will like to find out more first

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by evolution23
    ok thanks...but do u know what is the possiblity like of cornea ulcer patient being able to wear contacts lens in the future?
    Is there a chance that cornea ulcer patient can wear contacts?
    And why is it that after the cornea ulcer heals with a scar, contacts lens is not able to be worn?

hope u can help me address these questions if possible bcos it will take quite long before i return to see my doctor... will like to find out more first
    It is possible, but you have to wait till the doctor makes the judgment that it is OK, and when you do, you will be committed to quite frequent visits for a while

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    evolution: Almost 100% possiblity pt. that has had an ulcer (healed, treated and supervised) can continue to wear contacts. Exceptions: Very cautious practioner. Very serious ulcer (the can destroy the cornea or a large portion thereof. Some types of ulcer (especially herpetic ones) are prone to recurr, if this is the case one might resume but stop if recurrences became a problem.

Whatever you do, get someone competent to frequently check things.

Chip

OptiBoard Novice
    thanks thanks

what do ya mean by herpetic ulcer?
    it's possible even with a scar left?

and to sidetrack.... i;m wearing soft contact lens,dun wear contacts everyday, nv sleep overnite with contacts, use a no rub multi-solution, change my len casing recently .... and yet i still get cornea ulcer..why? whY?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by evolution23
    thanks thanks

what do ya mean by herpetic ulcer?
    it's possible even with a scar left?

and to sidetrack.... i;m wearing soft contact lens,dun wear contacts everyday, nv sleep overnite with contacts, use a no rub multi-solution, change my len casing recently .... and yet i still get cornea ulcer..why? whY?
    people who dont wear contact lenses can get them too. Bottom line - contact lenses can cause or agravate a problem, as can the cleaning soloutions. thats why we will keep telling you to be supervised with your contact lens wear, and do what the Dr tell you to do

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    If you got a corneal ulcer, odds are something needs to change like fit of lens, lens schedule, care of lens etc.

So don't wear present contact rx (even if new clean lenses in same power/shape) until you see your doctor.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    you are wearing your lenses? - take them out, go see the doctor?

If you are, you are rolling dice hoping for 6's and not even knowing how many dice are in the jar. Please dont take chances with your LONG TERM ocular health

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anything you sleep with is more likely to get you into trouble!

Incidence of corneal ulcers amoung patients who sleep in thier lenses is 10 to 16 times higher. Are you sure you really need to do this. My prosthetic eye department does not need more business.

Chip

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    i;m wearing soft contact lens,dun wear contacts everyday, nv sleep overnite with contacts,
    I'm thinking "nv" means "never". The root question seems to be "I do everything right, why am I still getting an ulcer?"

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    With no rub solution, rub anyway, lenses stay much cleaner. Do you rinse case with hot water after inserting lenses and leave case dry until lenses removed? Do you wash your hands (preferably with Ivory bar soap) prior to handling lenses?

Do you ever moisten your lenses with saliva?

Do your lenses actually fit?

And herpetic ulcer ment herpes simplex (fever blister type) or herpes zoster (singles type) and yes you can get this in your cornea. You can probably get other forms of herpes in the eye also..

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Evolution,

Everyone's posts here are on target. Corneal ulcers vary greatly. There is no way to tell if yours is dangerous or not at this time. Be warned though, they can be very dangerous.

The overiding theme here is make sure you are followed by your eye doctor, and it may be possible you can no longer wear overnight lenses.

It is also likely that you need some sort of change in the type of lens, the fit, the way you take care of them, the lens replacement schedule, and the like.

Go see your doctor and make sure you see a competent licensed fitter (not just someone who works the counter at an optical store.)

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Unfortunately, although we would like to help you everyone is correct you have to go see a local doctor. I'm closing this thread only because we can't say much more about the subject.

Thread Information