Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question to Catholics...

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by RGC_man
    More interesting than the usual homosexual debate is that the Catholic church is about to abandon the centuries old concept of Limbo. That strange place where unbaptised babies go when they die.

Will they suddenly stop going there? Where have they been going these last several centuries? Will they change destination because a bunch of theological clerics say so? What does God have to say on the matter?

Just wondering like.
    Thinking evolves. "Limbo" was never a part of dogma, rather theological speculation, meaning you can believe it or not believe it within the confines of the faith.
    Last edited by chm2023; 12-02-2005 at 10:36 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chm2023
    Thinking evolves.
    does your god?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    does your god?
    If I knew the answer to that I would be waaaayyyy too smart to be wasting my time on OB!!!;) As I understand God (and by definition my or anyone else's understanding of God is grossly inadequate), no.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chm2023
    If I knew the answer to that I would be waaaayyyy too smart to be wasting my time on OB!!!;) As I understand God (and by definition my or anyone else's understanding of God is grossly inadequate), no.
    so which of the many denominations is the most right? many are in utter conflict with the others. From the outside it looks rediculous

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    so which of the many denominations is the most right? many are in utter conflict with the others. From the outside it looks rediculous
    Well, I will try to answer this. I believe God manifests himself to us in various forms and that our interpretation of God is naturally varied. Which is to say while I believe in the tenets of Catholicism re God and Christ, I believe that Allah, Buddha etc are all manifestations of the very same God. I don't think that the core beliefs of the various religions are significantly dissimiliar--all speak to the primacy of loving one's neighbor and of worshipping and respecting God/Allah etc. In other words, for my religion to be "right", yours doesn't have to be "wrong". How strange to think that a loving God would embrace such a notion!

Was having a discussion the other evening with my husband--while I believe in an afterlife, I think we are completely incapable of understanding what that might be, just as we are completely incapable of truly understanding the nature of God. Which of course is why we call it "faith".

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Hamlin
    I will probably be haunted by my Grandma for saying this, but Pope HEAL THY PRIESTS! Is he not condemning a large number of the very people they protected and that they are prosecuting now?
    I would like to point out that homosexuals are not pedophiles and pedophiles are not necessarily homosexuals (even when the abuse is man on boy). This is, incidentally, the official position of the Catholic church, one they arrived at a couple of years ago after convening a scientific symposium on child abuse.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by coda
    I would like to point out that homosexuals are not pedophiles and pedophiles are not necessarily homosexuals (even when the abuse is man on boy). This is, incidentally, the official position of the Catholic church, one they arrived at a couple of years ago after convening a scientific symposium on child abuse.
    I never implied they were one and the same.

It is a matter of fact and public record that there are a number and have been a number of priests prosecuted for abusing boys (not men, but boys). Correct me if I am wrong, but is not an adult "insinuating" themself on a child a pedophile?

There have also been a number of priests lately that have come "out."

I would like to add that I think there is nothing wrong with homosexuality, but do not condone pedohpilia.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Thread Information