Thread: Christmas Tree Decorations

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Christmas Tree Decorations

I just finished decorating one of my Christmas trees that I put up annually and it got me to wondering. Do others decorate theme trees? Or is it just a mixture of what you have gathered over the years.

My main Christmas tree is covered in white lights, decorated with various types of Santas, topped with an old world Santa and circled with red wood bead garland.

The second and third ones sit on the screened porch and are decorated with white lights, crocheted snowflakes and rock candy clear garland.

What about yours?
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ours is strung with white lights and everyone's favorite ornaments from years past. I have a wrought iron tree that stands on the buffet to hold my Lladro bells. Keith gives me a new one every year.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    My staff at the office started a tradition of decorating a small tree with lights and adding bows, a few Christmas balls and optical things like contact lens cases, spectacle frames, contact lens foil packs, lens cleaning cloth, etc.

It does look very good. We don't actually display it out front though, for fear of "cheapening" Christmas.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

O' Tannenbaum!

I love putting our tree up. The main tree in the living room is a real cut tree but we also have a tall skinny fake tree in the family room. That one has silver and red glass balls on it with clear mini lights. I don't think that is a theme...more like left overs from the big tree!
    Our ornaments are a collection from our grown kids hand made in school (you have to wonder if that is allowed now!) along with the likes of Donald Duck tangled in a light string to some very nice pieces my wife picked up over the years.
    I like a mix of twinkle lights to go with a base of mixed color no twinkles.

O Tannenbaum, o Tannenbaum,
    Wie treu sind deine Blätter.
    Du grünst nicht nur zur Sommerzeit,
    Nein, auch im Winter, wenn es schneit.
    Wie treu sind deine Blätter.

du kannst mir sehr gefallen.
    Wie oft hat nicht zur Weihnachtszeit
    Ein Baum von dir mich hoch erfreut.
    du kannst mir sehr gefallen.
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    my MIL does themed trees for her ward at the local V.A. hospital (she's a R.N.). There's a bunch, but I can't name them all... only the G.I. Joe tree, Red White & Blue are coming to mind at the moment. She catches a lot of flak from the other nurses and the N.A.'s for going to the extreme, but she feels that it's important to make it feel as much like home as possible.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What are your thoughts on the new line of day-glo foil trees? The pink ones, silver ones, etc? I remember when I was little that my Aunt had a silver one that she had a wheeled light on it at night. It was red, yellow, green, and blue if I recall right. I thought it was hideous then and think they are hideous now.

My apologies to anyone that currently has one of these puppies on display.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Hamlin
    What are your thoughts on the new line of day-glo foil trees? The pink ones, silver ones, etc? I remember when I was little that my Aunt had a silver one that she had a wheeled light on it at night. It was red, yellow, green, and blue if I recall right. I thought it was hideous then and think they are hideous now.

My apologies to anyone that currently has one of these puppies on display.
    I agree, hideous...but I only like real trees that smell and drop needles.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod
    I agree, hideous...but I only like real trees that smell and drop needles.
    ...and clog up the vacuum cleaner, stick in your socks or in your feet, leave sticky sap on everything...

Our tree is a very nice artificial one and with Claire Burkes' help, smells pretty good too!:D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty
    ...and clog up the vacuum cleaner, stick in your socks or in your feet, leave sticky sap on everything...

Our tree is a very nice artificial one and with Claire Burkes' help, smells pretty good too!:D
    Mine is tres fake, too! Which is why I put it up the day after Thanksgiving and take it down on New Years Day.

I remember when I was a little girl the family piling into the VW van and riding to the tree farm to cut down the family tree the weekend before and that pup being tossed on the compost pile on New Years Day.

My mom and I were both allergic to pine trees and we both ended up decorating it-sneezing, wheezing and with the rash afterward to show for the hard work. Ahhhhh, the memories!:(
    ~Cindy

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    We always do a real tree. As for artificial ones, I am a bit of a purist. If you go artificial, well I say, GO ARTIFIAL--the shinier the better!!! I rather like them though my family would have my head if I went that route. The old ones from the 60s are becoming a real collector's item from what I have heard.

Thread Information