View Poll Results: Where do you stand on edging A/R coated lenses?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • I almost never damage any. My edger is excellent.

21 80.77%
  • I never damage any because I send them out.

1 3.85%
  • I damage 5-10 percent

4 15.38%
  • I damage 11-20 percent

0 0%
  • I'm a lunatic. I damage more than 20% and have no plan to improve.

0 0%

Thread: Ruining A/R lenses...A poll

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Ruining A/R lenses...A poll

There is a lot of talk on this forum about A/R damage while edging. What edger are you using and how did you solve your problem? Which lenses are most problematic?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've been using Kappa and Triumph edgers mostly for the past 4 or so years... the only times we've encountered AR damage was 1) when we discovered thinner lenses flexed more unless we used a black block and 2) when ECCA thought it smart to use AXIOM wheels, even though conventional ones cut Trive- oh no, sorry, "EV 4.0" just fine.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I used to have some troubles with Airwear Crizal. I use the Essilor Delta.

I was using the light setting and double padding, but the odd job I was having troubles with. So eventually I figured out that it only happened to larger jobs. What happened was with smaller jobs it told to use a smaller chuck, but with the larger jobs I was using a larger chuck. Well the larger chuck created more flexing.

So now I use a small chuck for everything, and I never have any problems.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have had problems with the lenses slipping in the edger, though. I ruined a Teflon coated progressive when it slipped in the edger.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I haven't really encountered any problems with my Kappa system. It's not something that I have to worry about. (knock on wood:) )

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    We've got a Briot Accura and it works fine. We lost a couple when we first started doing the super coats, but not many.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I use the Santinelli LE 9000.

We have virtually no problems with edging a/r lenses. When edging Crizal Alize or SHV from Hoya we use special edging pads to prevent slipping and they work like a charm.

One exception I've found is Hoya came out with a top coat (view protect...supposed to help with cleaning, oleophobic, hydrophobic, etc.) that we put on one of their HV coatings, and even with the special gripping pad, the thing spun like a top in our edger. First and last time we had any problems...we just don't order that add on for jobs we edge in house.

AA

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    I was using the light setting and double padding, but the odd job I was having troubles with. So eventually I figured out that it only happened to larger jobs. What happened was with smaller jobs it told to use a smaller chuck, but with the larger jobs I was using a larger chuck. Well the larger chuck created more flexing.

So now I use a small chuck for everything, and I never have any problems.
    geezze...I don't know?? I get your point about more flexing, but I would think that a larger chuck, with the appropriate base large block (if you can get away with it) would be better because it distributes the torque forces over a larger area on the lens...reducing psi on any given spot of the lens...especially if you are using less chuck pressure.

I still think the sharpness of the cutter (wheel or blade) is the most important thing here.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod
    geezze...I don't know?? I get your point about more flexing, but I would think that a larger chuck, with the appropriate base large block (if you can get away with it) would be better because it distributes the torque forces over a larger area on the lens...reducing psi on any given spot of the lens...especially if you are using less chuck pressure.

I still think the sharpness of the cutter (wheel or blade) is the most important thing here.
    the problem is that on one side we had the larger pad and on the other we had just the little holder.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    sharpness is indeed an important part, but, the lenses will flex if the block allows it. it has little to do with the amount of surface area covered, but more about how much of it is under pressure from the clamp... using a black block will match the amount of surface area under pressure from the clamp (if using a small clamp pad) thus limiting the amount of flexion. double pads just reduce direct pressure from the clamp on the back side.

Thread Information