Thread: How to sell frame in US?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

How to sell frame in US?

My manager just asked me if I 'd like to sell frame in US. I like to try but I have no clue how to start it, for example is there any problem to carry or send whole cases of sample frames over the border? and how to set the price in US? Currently the company has a specialized frame distribution office in Canada but not build any business relations in US yet. I'm considering about hiring somebody in US to find clients, but that sounds like a risky idea... What would you think?:)

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I am confused as to why your boss is not making these arrangements for you.

Bad address email on file canman's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    speak english much?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by canman
    speak english much?
    What kind of 'english' you want ? :D

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    I am confused as to why your boss is not making these arrangements for you.
    The boss takes care of his manufacture line. Here I'm in charge of the sale

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by caonimaxuebi
    The boss takes care of his manufacture line. Here I'm in charge of the sale
    I understand that, but the boss should be looking into what is needed to make the move.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    I understand that, but the boss should be looking into what is needed to make the move.
    yeah, you're right. I'm doing pretty fine in canada... busy everyday now, both of us have no strong intention to go US, he just brought it up recently and we assumed that Us and Canada are similiar in this business, is that correct?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    anybody has opinion? I'm waiting...

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Bonjou,

Not unless you own a well-known brand name, you almost have to put your new line under consignment nowdays if your wholesale price is more than $65 CN.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper Maybe get lucky..........................

anybody has opinion? I'm waiting...
    Rent a booth at Vision Expo in New York. Advertise that you are looking for a distributor in a certain area or all of them. Maybe you get lucky.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Rent a booth at Vision Expo in New York. Advertise that you are looking for a distributor in a certain area or all of them.

Chris, you beat me to the line. We get samples everyday from companies wanting us to distribute their frames. Some are pure Chinese/Taiwanese junk, and once in awhile the sender will actually send something that has optical quality parts and does not look "drug store". The other problem is when they want a 10k piece initial order. It helps to not send a company a blantant rip-off of their own exclusive design and tell them how you can produce it much cheaper.

Mark
    Mark E. Lepow
    Part of family that owned Franel Optical Supply
    Franel closed July 2007, after 47 years in business.
    New Career:
    Co-Owner, Lepow Photo
    Winter Garden, Fl.
    lepowphoto.com
    Professional Triathlon Photography

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by JERRY HUANG
    Bonjou,

Not unless you own a well-known brand name, you almost have to put your new line under consignment nowdays if your wholesale price is more than $65 CN.
    yeah, just likewhat you said. it might be all right with 'brand name', otherwise, you always get hard time to collect bill...

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Rent a booth at Vision Expo in New York. Advertise that you are looking for a distributor in a certain area or all of them. Maybe you get lucky.
    i've been some local optical shows for several times. most visitors are optician and optometrist, few were paying attention to distributor. you mean Vision Expo in New York will be better?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Franel Opt. Supply
    ..............The other problem is when they want a 10k piece initial order. It helps to not send a company a blantant rip-off of their own exclusive design and tell them how you can produce it much cheaper.

Mark
    same here... you know the better way to solve it is go check the factory over there. sometimes you probably find interesting side of the "factory", and you know what to do next.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    exclusive parts and tooling charges cost us arms and legs from manufacturers.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Vision Expo.........................

i've been some local optical shows for several times. most visitors are optician and optometrist, few were paying attention to distributor. you mean Vision Expo in New York will be better?
    It used to be and maybe still can. However you need a lot of money to pay for the booth as well as a lot for pre-advertising to steer the visitors to your booth.

I have changed from exhibitions to the website system. When investing a good amouint of time doing it and always modifying it you can get a good ranking. When you have a good ranking, you will nake the top in search engines and when that happens you get lots of visitors.

I get now between 450 and 600 visitors every day with an average of 35,000 pages looked at or printed out every month.

That beats every exhibition.........you dont have to go there and the visitor does not have to go there either and can look at your product from his desk.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    exclusive parts and tooling charges cost us arms and legs from manufacturers.
    yeah, thanks for reply. what do you mean "exclusive parts and tooling"? for manufacture, frames part, or lens ?

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    yeah, thanks for reply. what do you mean "exclusive parts and tooling"? for manufacture, frames part, or lens ?
    ......means frame parts with special designs/functions/patentable and only you have it on the market. Unlike many brand names share the exact same parts with different logos.

Many optical shops in Tokyo actually discount brand name products for the purpose to bring in people. Then, they get customer's attention on their own OEM products or custom eyewears made in the shop.

I personally know a jeweler in downtown Los Angeles who continuously duplicates Ray-Ban Aviator and a square eye shape with double bridge bar in 18 K gold for 20 years. $5,000 USD each and he got customers from all over the world include Italian eyewear manufacturers!!

I also believe brand name products will be introduced to market from big chains in the future because they really cannot afford to waste time and adv.budget for small ODs and opticans. Furthermore,brand name overstocks then will flow to close out agents and discount website suppliers...and then disappear within 4 years.

If your boss (manufacturer) knows how to catch the "right timing" and bring out "right products" to "right people". There is always a risk free market for you regardless where your products sale to.

Occupation

Idea

You have been to canadian local shows only. I have done that for many years in the old days...................they all stink, and are only there to finance the local opticians golf games...............while they mostly ignore exhibitors during the shows. That is nothing new and old hat.

Vision Expo is not my favorite either..........but you get a more diversified visitors basis. You will have to spend around $ 7,000 to $10,000 for the weekend all included if you take a small booth (ca $5,000).

However you will get no targeted visitors traffic if you do not spend another few thousand to get poeple heading for your booth.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    ......If your boss (manufacturer) knows how to catch the "right timing" ...
    i'm assuming you're talking about the duplication, right? those things are everywhere now. each time i get out to see my clients and some of them always had new brand name from somewhere..... they told me few pieces of them are not from authorized dealer, because they're much cheaper and with good quality. i see this is a real trend instead.:bbg: we've discussed this with my boss and we know it's profitable but also risky. the local authority can easily close your producion line if they find you're doing so...

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    However you will get no targeted visitors traffic if you do not spend another few thousand to get poeple heading for your booth.
    thank you for the comments. am i right you're talking about the booth layout also the decoration stuff?

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    i'm assuming you're talking about the duplication, right? those things are everywhere now. each time i get out to see my clients and some of them always had new brand name from somewhere..... they told me few pieces of them are not from authorized dealer, because they're much cheaper and with good quality. i see this is a real trend instead.:bbg: we've discussed this with my boss and we know it's profitable but also risky. the local authority can easily close your producion line if they find you're doing so...
    Don't get me wrong! I am not telling you to "copy" neither the trade name nor the patent design from someone. just use the "idea" instead.
    For example, magnetic-clip eyewears are risk free products and so are free form lens shape without screw mounting rimless assembly. I see them all over the OD's offices.

Occupation
    thank you for the comments. am i right you're talking about the booth layout also the decoration stuff?
    Yes that is it grosso modo as I have my own backdrop................they charge rent for chairs, tables, carpets, elctricity anmd so forth.

One large saving tou can make by staying in a hotel on the New Jersey side instaed of downtown NY.

Thread Information