Thread: Hoildays

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    I see that you are on Holiday again in the states? Just how many holiday do you get over there as it seems to me that you don,t seem to work very ofern... :D
    john" i ducking now" r

------------------
    Every day a grind
    Every week a bind
    www.iooi.co.uk

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Thumbs up

Ah, America- the land of the free and the brave (and long holiday weekends aplenty)!

Just so you can "keep up" with our holidays, John, here are the paid holidays a typical American worker gets (the ones with an "*" are additional days that most government "workers" get off... most private sector jobs don't get these days)

New Year's Day -January 1st (What better way to start a year then by taking a day off?)
    *Martin Luther Kind, Jr. Day -4th Monday in January (in honor of the black civil rights leader)
    *President's Day -4th Monday in February (in honor of the birthdays of Presidents Washington and Lincoln)
    Good Friday- Friday preceding Easter
    Memorial Day- Last Monday in May (in honor of America's soldiers who died in combat)
    Independence Day- July 4th (in honor of, well, you know... us telling King George to ****** off ;) )
    Labor Day- First Monday in September
    *Veteran's Day- November 11th (in honor of America's living veterans... also commemorating the end of WWI)
    Thanksgiving- 4th Thursday of November (to give national thanks for God's goodness to country and family) The day after Thanksgiving is called "black Friday" because everyone starts out to the shopping centers to do their Christmas shopping (except for hunters in Pennsylvania- they go to their hunting camps for deer season)
    Christmas

In addition, Americans typically get between two and four weeks off for vacation and/or sick leave per year. Okay, now I'd be curious to know what you Brits get in the way of holidays...

Pete "give me holidays, or give me death" Hanlin

[This message has been edited by Pete Hanlin (edited 09-06-2000).]

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Pete,

You have forgotten a few

"hangover day"- any three days a year where you need that "hangover recovery time :) (sub rule: NO two hangover days in the same week work period.)

"game day & or race day"- when that out of town football or NASCAR race is a must see and ya just can't make it back by Monday.
    (BTW whaz up with Penn. State this year..)

"optical burn out day"- that previous days optical boo-boo's and whine bag patients have driven you to the brink of nervous breakdown or you may go "optical"..or "postal" if you wish to cross refrence.

"time change"- you know the great excuse of "I forgot to reset my clock"..the thing that usual strikes me as odd is you NEVER see someone forget that and come in an hour EARLY.. it only seems to be when we come in late :)..

last but not least.. free day due to "whatever" ie. flat tire, dead battery, no babysitter, forgot to wash clothes, "bad" hair day etc., etc. ...

I'm sure I could think of more, but let someone else take it from here...

Jeff" I need a month off" Trail

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    John R..............Up here in New England, we also celebrate the 2nd Monday in October. Columbus Day (aka Thanksgiving day in Canada)is a holiday for us. As independents, we open from 9-12. Sort of a half day holiday for most retail.

Jackie O

------------------

Still a Maina for now

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused

Pete:

You get more than just Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving off? When I grow up I wanna be just like you. Actually I was wondering; if college is supposed to prepare you for real life, how come we used to get months off at a time while we were in school? Now in real life we have to fight to use our paid vacation time before we loose it.

A friend and I were just discussing the old "Blue Laws;" to any young'ns, those laws meant retail was closed all day Sunday and early Saturday. We came up with a modern version to those laws. Let retail stay open all week but make employers have to pay time and a half for weekends and double time for holidays. I bet you would see many stores voluntarily closing weekends and holidays.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Thanks for remembering Mr. Columbus, Jackie! Forgot about that one (they celebrate that in Pennsylvania and Florida too, but only government workers get that one off).

Pete

Occupation
    OK pete this is what we get..
    lets start in Jan
    New Years day (1 jan) Just the one mind unless you are in scotland then you get 2..
    Easter (when ever it falls) now thats 2 days either friday and monday or monday and tuesday or if you are realy lucky you get 3..
    May day (1st monday in may) now thats just a monday off
    Spring bank holiday (end of may) another 1 day or again if you are realy lucky 2 days
    August bank hoilday (end of august) 1 day again
    Christmas (dec 25 & 26) 2 days only but most places tie it up with new year to make it about a week of but the extra comes out of our holidays...
    This is unless you work in retail then most of these holiday's are worked :D except christmas day of coarse...
    std holidays are about 15 to 20 days a year.

------------------
    Every day a grind
    Every week a bind
    www.iooi.co.uk

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

also, civil servants get the queen's birthday off. i don't know why, she doesn't invite them to her party or anything.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

hey john boy,
    you should worry about holidays where you work is one long holiday especially with your ever loving leader!!!

never mind back to the grind tomorrow.
    jack
    http://www.optispares.f2s.com

[This message has been edited by optispares (edited 09-10-2000).]

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused

Well, this week in England we have the 'no petrol, so can't get to work' holiday!

Occupation
    Is it that bad over in manchester? we have a petrol station next door and he aint got any and he put his prices up 10p a litre to 89p
    Wont it be great if this keeps up no more work..... :D
    even "ocs" are cutting back on pickups and deliveres now bliss...

John "what a shame i walk to work" r

------------------
    Every day a grind
    Every week a bind
    www.iooi.co.uk

[This message has been edited by john r (edited 09-11-2000).]

Occupation

Blue Jumper

Originally posted by optispares:
    hey john boy,
    Not oftern i get called a boy now :D

you should worry about holidays where you work is one long holiday especially with your ever loving leader!!!
    I wish and maybe it might happen!!
    Heard on the radio this week that if someone is bugging you you should write their name on a bit of paper and put it in the freezer and it will help them to chill out. :D
    I think it would be better just to put hin in the freezer instead. ;)

john"dont i know you from somewere"r

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Arrow

ok john old man (is that better) your spelling is getting worse (i was going to put abysmal but i can't spell it). i think this is going to be a good week no transport after today. so no work ! .have fun with your fearless leader.
    jack

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hiya kids, Shwing here, from the Colonies...

Gas is $CAN.679/L. One year ago, it was about $CAN.490/L...

Canadian holidays:

New Year's (everyone closed); Family Day in Feb. (Alberta only, and we try and make families, hehe); Easter (which includes two stat. holidays: Good Friday and Easter Sunday); Victoria Day in late May (we don't know why we celebrate it, but it harkens the first weekend of camping...); Canada Day in July (soon to be amalgamated with Independence Day when we become the 51-62 States...); Labour- (NOT Labor) Day; Thanksgiving in October (giving thanks for the reaping of the harvest, as opposed to the storing of it in the Excited States...); Rememberance Day (Nov. 11); Christmas; and finally Boxing Day.

Having said that, I have issue with it all, but that is for another diatribe (or search the 'old optiboard' regarding Christmas as a holiday vs. Remembrance Day...)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

You guys should live in Alabama, they get off Guy Fawkes day and Sadie Hawkins day.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Question

Sadie Hawkins Day I remember from college in Tennessee (the girls chase the guys down, hmmm). What, however, is "Boxing Day?"

Pete

Occupation
    Optical Retail

How can I not join in the festivities with my 2 shekels worth of holidays in Israel.

It actually doesn't look too bad (if you are a worker) If it's your own business, then it's a different story

Passover (April ) 2 days at the start and 2 days at the end

Harvest Festival (Shavuot) (May) 2 days

Tabernacles (Succot) 2 at the start, and 2 at the end

New Year ( Sept/Oct) 2 days

Day of Atonement 2 days

Independance day... 1 day

Looks good 15 days.... I wish I saw it!

Now, our Christian staff do even better, because apart from these days, they also take all the holidays of Christmas, Easter, Whitsun, various saints days, and 1st January, Silvester.

And of course, we give 3 weeks paid holiday a year.

Anyone for a job?

Oh, I forgot to mention....... we work Sundays!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hiya, Pete. Boxing Day is observed December 26.

I sorta recall that the tradition goes back to England, and had something to do with re-gifting...

Nowadays, it is an excuse to put everything in the store on sale, just to rub it in your face that you paid too much for those nice Christmas gifts...

But it IS the thought that counts, right? (ever try returning a thought??)

Shwing;-}

Occupation

Arrow

Originally posted by Pete Hanlin:
    What, however, is "Boxing Day?"

Pete
    Well its a quaint old english tradition where all the pressies you got on christmas day that you dont want (most at a guess) get put back in there boxes and are put aside to be given to someone else next christmas.
    or
    The other one is the day after christmas day is famous for being a major sports day so long ago before proper football (with a round ball) i guess boxing was the most popular sport. Guess this is because when you sober up and you realise what pressie you got given you were mad with them....

John "does any of this make sense" r
    Pick witch ever you like. :D

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Originally posted by harry a saake:
    You guys should live in Alabama, they get off Guy Fawkes day and Sadie Hawkins day.

Not sure which part of the state you're talking about, but it ain't down here. Heck, we never even had a Sadie Hawkins day dance at school! Besides, a better holiday would be Bear Bryant Day :-)

Blake

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You folks have missed a few that we celebrate in Massachusetts.

March 17th-Evacuation day ostensibly to celebrate the British evacuation of Boston during the revolutionary war.Another one for the Brits. It must just be coincidence that the date is also St Patricks day.

April 19- Patriots Day Celebrating the shot heard round the world on Lexington Green,opening revolutionary war.I belive thats 2 for the Brits.

June 17th- Thats known as Bunker Hill Day celebrating the battle fought on Breeds Hill, also during the revolutionary war.

October 12th- Columbus Day for his discovery of the new world.

Out of the 4 additional holidays enjoyed by Massachusetts....we can thank the British for three of them.
    Best wishes to all from Cape Cod.
    Harry Jilson

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I still think you should give mention to
    Confederate Memorial Day (which started the traditional Memorial Day and had it's inception in Columbus, Mississippi). And Robert E. Lee's Birthday as holidays worthy of mention.

You will need to know these when the South does rise again, Amen.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Unhappy

Heck, back when I was living in D.C., we got EVERYBODY'S holiday off...............

Virginia had this little problem with the MLK holiday falling on the same day as Lee/Jackson day, but I guess they fixed it.

When I was growing up in Philly, we use to alternate years between March 17th and March 19th. St. Pat's for the Irish and St. Joseph's Day for the Italians.

Of course, in Florida....there is no such thing as a holiday, or seasons...ok,football season.....but, damn, I hate the Gators and the Seminoles............

Thread Information