Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SETI - optical team - join here

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Exclamation SETI-Optical team-join here

Hi guys and gals

You have all heard of SETI the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence, well I have set up a SETI team for optical professionals. If you would like to participate in this team, then follow the link below

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/creat...?teamid=120984

If you allready participate in the SETI project, you can still join the team, just follow the link and subequent instructions

I will let everyone know periodically how the team is doing. If you leave your computer on while you are not using it, why not join in the project

What is SETI@home?
    SETI@home is a scientific experiment that uses Internet-connected computers in the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI). You can participate by running a free program that downloads and analyzes radio telescope data.

Richard
    Last edited by QDO1; 11-25-2005 at 07:30 AM.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Great idea Richard.
    I haven't done this for years.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just to let everyone know.. there is a delay (of weeks) on the group stats.. It is an issue at the SETI end

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hey, just a serious, quick question.

Let's assume that there is extraterrestrial life. How can we assume that they are not going to come an conquer us? Why is it assumed that another civilization is benign?

I have another question, if you'll indulge: If there are any other civilizations, why have they not already found us?

What's the essence of SETI? Scanning the universe degree by degree with ultra-sensitive radio frequency very large arrays?

Is this a good use of resources?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk
    Hey, just a serious, quick question.

Let's assume that there is extraterrestrial life. How can we assume that they are not going to come an conquer us? Why is it assumed that another civilization is benign?
    you can not assume anything
    I have another question, if you'll indulge: If there are any other civilizations, why have they not already found us?
    Depends on a lot of things. Perhaps they allready have, but cant be bothered with us. Perhaps they are in a different evoloutionary time frame, and they will never find our messages, and we will never find thiers. Perhaps they are in the same time frame, but so far away, the messages are in a different time frame. Perhaps radio is so primitive, we are barking up the same tree. Perhaps there is a perfect match, and we are days away from working it out
    What's the essence of SETI? Scanning the universe degree by degree with ultra-sensitive radio frequency very large arrays?
    yep, they use the Arecebo radio telescope

Is this a good use of resources?
    yep. SETI was the springboard for other good science: distributed computing, which now does all sorts of other clever stuff like climate prediction. The project does not particularlary have much funding, and relies on users to use thier machines for the project in idle times, but when they would have been on anyway. This is a big science project really, run by a Dept at Berkley University

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Doesn't the US's NASA kick in some serious dough?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Doesn't the US's NASA kick in some serious dough?
    nope, and furthermore, no one kicks in serious dough. look at thier message board - they have had huge problems in the last weeks, and all down to a silly server script.. seems to be a few individuals keeping the whole thing running.## the front page of the site has a link to the sponsers, but these are A. big names, and B. giving a very small ammount of wedge

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi
    Great idea Richard.
    I haven't done this for years.
    I joined.......under the Optical Team :)

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    If you leave your computer on while you are not using it, why not join in the project
    It doesn't sound very environmentally friendly.

That said, i'm off to hug a tree!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rsandr
    It doesn't sound very environmentally friendly.

That said, i'm off to hug a tree!
    some people leave them on all the time.. to make them last longer!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    some people leave them on all the time.. to make them last longer!
    Should I do the same with all my light bulbs?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I post from my brother's computer. It's an old out-of-date Mac clone, but with a large flat panel monitor. He has the software set up so that after 10 minutes without a keyboard input or a mouse click, the monitor goes into a standby mode to conserve power. The computer and hard disk stay powered up. We have been running the SETI program here, but after this upgrade that they are about to implement, we will be left out of it, because it won't run on the old MacOS anymore.

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg
    I post from my brother's computer. It's an old out-of-date Mac clone, but with a large flat panel monitor. He has the software set up so that after 10 minutes without a keyboard input or a mouse click, the monitor goes into a standby mode to conserve power. The computer and hard disk stay powered up. We have been running the SETI program here, but after this upgrade that they are about to implement, we will be left out of it, because it won't run on the old MacOS anymore.
    I will ask for you - what OS -exactly?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I will ask for you - what OS -exactly?
    We are running MacOS 9.2 and I don't think that our hardware will support anything above that.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg
    We are running MacOS 9.2 and I don't think that our hardware will support anything above that.
    this patch might help your mac clone generally:
    look @ https://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/

and a list of supported hardware:
    https://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter...atibility.html

still hunting for a 9.x binary for you

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I joined the team yesterday, and still trying to figure it all out. This is very cool. Thank you for starting the team. I will be reporting my results in a few days.

As for the previous poster who says,
    you can not assume anything.

I think that quote came from "Contact"
    It is probably more likely that our leaders will try to strike them first.

If we can prove that we are not alone, maybe just maybe the world will open its eyes and see how small we really are, and maybe we will all stop fighting about stupid things like our beliefs. All of our wars will be civil wars and the real foreigners do not live here.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OpticLabRat
    I joined the team yesterday, and still trying to figure it all out. This is very cool. Thank you for starting the team. I will be reporting my results in a few days.

As for the previous poster who says,
    you can not assume anything.

I think that quote came from "Contact"
    It is probably more likely that our leaders will try to strike them first.

If we can prove that we are not alone, maybe just maybe the world will open its eyes and see how small we really are, and maybe we will all stop fighting about stupid things like our beliefs. All of our wars will be civil wars and the real foreigners do not live here.
    Thanks for joining the team. I thought I would let you know that it takes a few days for your results to show up on the team stats, and the data is often 1-2 weeks behind. At the moment 1 server says we have 11 members, but I have a list of 20 members from another, but another server only shows 4 contributing. To add to the delay, the work units you do are not awarded credit untill the result is validated on 4 other machines, so it takes some time before your results show in the stats. Good luck, and remember if you have more than 1 machine you can register them all on your account

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

10,000 Credit Milestone

Well done to the Opticians Worldwide team. Collectivley we passed the 10,000 credit mark, which is further than most teams ever get.

Credits this morning: 10,260.31

Full analysis at: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_...?teamid=120984

There are some members of the team struggling to get set up, having joined the team and not added any computing time to the project.. Please feel free to ask for hints and tips. We started the team when the SETI servers were being upgraded, which made registering and setting up a problem. Im sure those of us that are up and running will be more than happy to help the members who are trying to work out the BOINK or SETI software. Im happy to ICQ or MSN or AIM with anyone to set them up

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well done to the Opticians Worldwide team. Collectivley we passed the 10,000 credit mark, which is further than most teams ever get.

Credits this morning: 10,260.31

Full analysis at: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_...?teamid=120984

There are some members of the team struggling to get set up, having joined the team and not added any computing time to the project.. Please feel free to ask for hints and tips. We started the team when the SETI servers were being upgraded, which made registering and setting up a problem. Im sure those of us that are up and running will be more than happy to help the members who are trying to work out the BOINK or SETI software. Im happy to ICQ or MSN or AIM with anyone to set them up
    Hi, Im setting this up now, you can have some of my 3 ghz.

Im not sure what I should put for the web url at the initial setup.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi, Im setting this up now, you can have some of my 3 ghz.

Im not sure what I should put for the web url at the initial setup.
    this URL: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu

I can see your email as registered in the team, so you are doing OK so far

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    this URL: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu

I can see your email as registered in the team, so you are doing OK so far
    Whoohoo i'm attached, I don't really know what to but it feels good!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Whoohoo i'm attached, I don't really know what to but it feels good!
    great. What happens now is that when you complete a work unit, it sends it off, and then a few days later you (and the team) are credited for it. they validate them against the same WU which has been done on another 3 machines. sometimes (because you have a fast machine) you seem to wait a while for the validation, cos most others dont have such a quick machine.

Its worth having a poke around the help sections and message boards (click on my account in BOINC manager)

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Im sure those of us that are up and running will be more than happy to help the members who are trying to work out the BOINK or SETI software. Im happy to ICQ or MSN or AIM with anyone to set them up
    I'll be more than happy to help....

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    great. What happens now is that when you complete a work unit, it sends it off, and then a few days later you (and the team) are credited for it. they validate them against the same WU which has been done on another 3 machines. sometimes (because you have a fast machine) you seem to wait a while for the validation, cos most others dont have such a quick machine.

Its worth having a poke around the help sections and message boards (click on my account in BOINC manager)
    I'll have a poke around, in the meantime, I have 'connection deferred' is this normal, it has counted down 3 times now.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'll have a poke around, in the meantime, I have 'connection deferred' is this normal, it has counted down 3 times now.
    Is there any work in the "work" tab?

Connection deffered usually means you asked it to synchronise, or it tried to synchronise, but the server was too busy, or you dont have anything to send/recieve, or you asked it too quickly. yes thats normal!

Thread Information