Thread: I did manage to find a little bit of my sense of humor this wekend :-)

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hello everyone,

Here is something I must share with you all.

I went to a wedding this weekend (don't worry I really was invited and didn't just "show up" this time :-) and managed to see how times have changed but standards have remained ;-) I also learned some very valuable lessons from many of the people I observed while at said wedding.

Let me start a list of things that I learned:

1) There are some people that look good in tight fitting clothing and there are those that don't, nor should they ever be allowed out of the house while wearing tight clothing. In fact for some a law should be passed :-) I literally saw a woman that had the figure of the Michelin Man which was revealed ever so prominently by her choice of outfit and the size thereof. There was nothing I could do. I had to go outside and throw up :-)

2) If you are an overweight male over the age of 50 do not try to pretend that you are 20. Shirts unbuttoned down to the navel while wearing at least two gold chains just ain't hip. Not to mention you look like an idiot and it is inappropriate attire for a wedding reception. If this is how you dress to go to a formal occasion then you're a loser.

3) It was nice to see that teenage boys and girls are exactly the same as they were when I was but a young lad. The only difference being I wish that the young ladies would have dressed the same when I was a teen. I've never seen so many mini-skirts in my life, not that I'm complaining mind you :-)

As a father of a daughter I am afraid that my daughter will be forced to be a prude whether she likes it or not. She will not dress in anything other than full length dresses with full body armor underneath. That would be my idea of appropriate attire :-)

The young men of the day were interesting to watch to say the least. They all looked surprisingly like members of Insync and the Back Street Boys. I have nothing against members of either group persay, but I do believe that they have been cloned and released on the unsuspecting crowds that are the world (or at least San Angelo)

When I was young we had long hair (or at least I did anyway) We wore blue jeans and T-shirts sometimes the sleeveless kind, but we were well kept and not trying to look like anyone in particular (the only pseudo idols we had were the Glam Rock guys and we weren't about to dress like them in public. You might get away with it in California but around here you'd get beatup...Darryl :-) Granted I'm sure that the adults were looking at us and thinking "Get a haircut you hippie." but we weren't twirpish. We could hold our own.

These teens last night couldn't have fought there way out of a wet paper shopping bag. Completely pathetic examples of the ever shallowing gene pools :-)

There was this one particular teen couple at the reception that I just couldn't help watching. Picture if you will a teenage girl, size zero dress, blonde hair (go figure) and shoes that made her four inches taller than she actually was (I think that in todays society height equals adulthood judging by the footwear ;-)

The teenage boy had that look of "neutral zone" on his face (or the blank stair of intent for those that aren't familiar with the afore mentioned euphemism) feet turned outward with heals together, shoulders slightly slumped forward and ill fitting clothes (the "in" look for todays fashion conscious child) His hair was cut very short and what hair he did have was plastered to the top of his head with about four gallons of hairspray so that he looked like he had a head covered with straw. Basically what would have been consider a "geek" or a "gimp" in my day.

Now picture these two standing together in the middle of an isle, in the way, while this young gentleman is trying to figure out what's bothering his young miss. The young lady is obviously perturbed about something because she is standing with her back to him, saying nothing, right hand holding the elbow of the left arm that is point straight down (like a figure four configuration) eyes looking blankly upward, mouth slightly agape, left hip jutted out slightly and right leg slightly bent as if to rest the weight of her entire young world on one leg (those with teenage daughters or those that haven't quite grown up yet know exactly what I'm talking about ;-)

I seriously thought that at some point I would have to go over to these two youngsters and say (from the heart) "Get over it because you got a whole lot of 'you ain't seen nothing yet' coming your way." Think about it (I was) what could be so bad in a youngsters life that would cause them this type of turmoil? When I was that age the answer was "Nothing." We didn't have any worries other than those we created to mimic the adults we would see around us. We thought it made us more adult to have a "serious" problem :-) Now days you have to have a problem AND be seeing a therapist AND be on Prozac in order to pretend that you are an adult :-)

Ah, childhood. I don't think I would ever want to relive my childhood. I didn't like it enough the first time around to even consider it ;-) BUT the old saying of "If I knew then what I know now." could hold some magic for that endeavor :-) Would I do anything different? What would it matter when everything around me would be the same regardless of when it took place. All the girls would be the same, all the guys would be the same so I'd stick out like a sore thumb if I did anything differently and one should never draw attention to ones self if one does decide to travel back in time ("Back To The Future" has taught us that :-)

Well, it's late and I'm going to see what's on TV. I'll talk to you later...or not. It all depends on what mood I'm in next.

Darris C.

PS. To all of those that have missed me being around and were concerned by my absence, you will be in my heart always.

Love always,

Darris

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Unhappy

Darris,

Welcome back to the land of the living..well "cyber" living anyway. :) ..Oh nothing like a wedding to bring out the best in people, or worst... Hey did I ever tell ya the one about my little shin dig of a wedding ? ..NO .. .. Well... The most momentous occasion was last year in Nov. got "hitched" at a resort on the ocean... had tons of people a LOT of OD's and MD's and opticians running about .. mostly drinking "free" booze :) ...picture it.. evening time.. on the deck over looking the ocean.. in a tux..surf, sand and about 200 of my "closest" friends :) BUT the kicker was, you ever see the "cheerleading" competition on ESPN ?... well the resort was jammed packed with CHEERLEADERS!! :) .. want to know what it's like to be married on a deck over the ocean with about 2,000 cheerleaders screaming at ya from the decks ? ... and (God forbid) let OD's and MD's wondering through all these 18 to 20'sh year old chicks in all types of undress, half dress and bathing suites? ... needless to say after we had the big "eats" and the booze started flowing the doors were thrown open and I NEVER seen so many young girls running around at once...I'll have to show everyone my wedding album sometime .. everyone that looks at it is about to throw up from laughing so hard since about every other shot has about a dozen young "babes" strolling through the shots or hanging on to us and dancing away...
    It was actually a lot of fun and what was supposed to end by 10 or 11 ended up running over until around 3 or 4 AM
    If you can see the mix.. A West Virginian born and raised (me) married to British/Irish redhead (her)(temper to prove it) that moved to the BRONX of all places.. and all the associated family members (England, Ireland, West Virginia, NY, Texas) and throw in all the OD's, MD's, and opticians I work with and know (so the party is around 200 guests) then open up the door and Cheerleaders running amok... all in all it was a great party!! :)

Maybe this is the beginning of a new thread..."weddings and whacky stuff"

Sorry we didn't have much of the "stilt" shoes.. and the "baggy *** hanging out of my pant's" out fits.. but had plenty of the pleated cheerleading outfits about ..

Maybe if we do it again.. we'll be sure to check and see if they are going to have the cheerleaders again.. I'll make sure ya get your invitation.. you and Chad can possibly be made judges for it and get on ESPN

Jeff "don't hurt to look..BUT don't touch.. specially if your wife has a great right cross" Trail

Occupation

Darris, did ya at least get drunk and/or meet anyone cool? That is really all weddings are good for unless you're the one getting hitched. Back in my single days I loved to go to weddings to meet guys-usually there is at least one attractive single groomsman and if not, well then one learns to adapt and oversome. Glad to see you are starting to sound like your former self!

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Well Darris is certainly is nice to see you on the board again. I for one have missed your posts, and sure do hope we haven't done anything to make you not want to come on anymore. I hope all is well with you.
    Take Care!!!
    Steph

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

<FONT COLOR=#FF0000>"The young men of the day were interesting to watch to say the least. They all looked surprisingly like members of Insync and the Back Street Boys. I have nothing against members of either group persay, but I do believe that they have been cloned and released on the unsuspecting crowds that are the world (or at least San Angelo)."</FONT>
    Well, it's just like I said, Darris- it is obvious that Hollywood and San Angelo are the two cultural centers of our country. :D

YOU may not have "anything against" groups like InSync. I, however, catch a few seconds of them every once in a while (while flipping channels) and want to up-chuck. Do the words "New Kids on the Block" ring a bell? Gawd. I'd like to see a MTV "Celebrity Deathmatch" with InSync and a good group- like the Eagles... What a bunch of pansies...

Kids today? Bah! Why, when I was a kid, we didn't have no cell phones, beepers, instant messaging, email addresses or anything like that... you had to ride your bike over to your friends (you know, a regular bike, not a mountain bike, not a 58 speed wunderbike, just a good-old-one-speed-foot-braked-banana-shaped-seat bike...

There, I think I've gotten in my practice for old age now (complaining about young people seems to be a pretty good indication of old age, guess I must be 32 going on 90). You should live near Florida State. The stuff that's "in"... Bell Bottoms (er, I mean "flare" jeans), high heel clogs, jamming bits of metal in every fold of skin that will hold them, little tattoos of frogs, flowers, etc... Jeeesh! Oh, and when did your belly button become a normally exposed part of the body? Finally, how is it humanly possible to be as thin as the average teenage girl is today??? I mean, doesn't there have to be room for certain things (spinal cord, intestines, spleen, etc.)???

Ah well, here's to youth! Enjoy it while you're young, kiddies.

Pete "Eh? Speak up sonny, I can't hear ya!" Hanlin

Occupation

Don't worry Pete-as soon as those girls hit 30 and have at least one child their skin will never be the same and those belly buttons won't be quite as cute. Also, it is not possible to work all day and then take your child to soccer practice while grading homework and fixing dinner after only drinking mineral water and sucking on a flavored toothpick so eventually those girls are gonna have to eat and be real sized like the rest of us

Karen"can't wait til Britney Spears has to watch what she eats"Ayres

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused

Definately with you on that one Karen!LOL!! I think that those girls are sickly skinny. I love your comment about the water and the toothpick...had to share it hope you don't mind!!
    Have a great day!!
    Steph

Thread Information