Thread: anyone know or have experience for intacs corneal rings

Rising Star

anyone know or have experience for intacs corneal rings

I have tried contacts before without much success. They are never comfortable for long, dry my eyes out and can often be felt. I will go back to the optometrist for another opinion. I have been doing much research on intacs and they sound quite appealing. I know they are not without risks but neither are contacts. At least with intacs, I will avoid all the hassles and discomforts with contacts and reduce my glasses dependancy. Below are the advantages intacs have over lasik.

1. It keeps your prolate cornea
    2. no cornea is removed so I face no risks of ectasia or risks of full blown KC.
    3. With my -5(or near that) pescription, there is vitrually no chance of overcorrection, a very bad thing for someone with any presbyopia. Id like to keep some myopia to avoid any present and future need for reading glasses
    4. they can be removed if I dont like them or if their effects are undesired. I will return to my pre-op eyes.
    5. My uncorrected vision will seriously improve and although most likley not meet 20/40, my dependancy on glasses will be reduced 75-90% and I wont need them for the house and using the computer.
    6. my BCVA might improve(currently 20/30). Intacs will flatten my cornea, straitening out any irregularities and corneal steepenings. Ill be happy for a solid 20/25 and elated for perfect 20/20

I know ill still be mildly myopic with about -2d give or take but this is not a bad thing, especially seeing I dont want reading glasses yet improve my UCVA. My pupils are quite large so I may be better with intacs than lasik. I need to soon schedule an appointment for an evaluation

Does anyone here know how much Intacs costs per eye? My friend did call one center for me and they want $5000 per eye. Now I know you cant put a price on your eyes, but I was under the impression intacs costs was comparable to wavefront lasik or $2000-2500 an eye. Im sorry to say but $5000 per eye sounds excessive.

My mom has the misconception that intacs have to be removed and replaced in your eye every 5 years or so because your eye changes. I told her those -3 intacs im getting can stay in forever, they are made to last. However they can be removed but do I want to? My pescription has been stable at about -5 and even if it changes, I can just get my glasses pescription adjusted. There is no need to remove the intacs when a slight change in glasses will accomplish this cheap and safely. Yes I will still wear glasses. However my dependancy will be reduced just like they claim. Its the same with lasik or any surgury. They all make the statement: an option to be less dependant on glasses(or contacts) They are careful not to make wild, unrealistic claims of perfect vision because many dont achieve this. Many still wear glasses for things such as reading, driving or certain activities. With intacs, I can subtract -3 diopters from my pescription and have much better uncorrected vision, thereby making the need for glasses much less frequent.

any of you have intacs, know someone that does or know about them? Post your comments here :)

OptiBoard Novice

INTACS approval under a cloud

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Intacs are meant for an alternative treatment for keratoconus. I advise you to go and get a consultation with an ophthalmologist that performs this surgery. You have to ask ..... don't assume that all ophthalmologist perform this procedure.

Thread Information