Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anti-slip coating for super hydrophobic lenses

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Anti-slip coating for super hydrophobic lenses

Is there anyone who is able to provide me with any information on how we could apply a anti-slip coating over our super hydrophobic coated lenses?
    We have tried numerous blocking pads, and the best is from Essilor and Weco, but we need something more substantial as our loss on wasted lenses is getting out of control.

If someone can give me a supplier who provides a coating or a special pad that we can use, I would be very interested.

Thanks

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Try these reusable pads

I have tried these as we use a super hydrophobic and they seem to work great.

see www.optochemicals.com

Non slip "HOOKER" blocking pads, the Latest Invention From OMS Opto Chemicals

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    We tried the Hooker pads and are completely satisfied with them. Ask Chris Ryser for samples.

Occupation
    Hello Websta,
    I know that essilor in its Crizal Alizee use a special temporary coating to avoid problem during the edging phase.
    My Opinion is that this coating could be a very thin layer of Magnesium Fluoride MgF2 ( search it to Cerac inorganics USA , Phone 001-414-289-9800 Fax 001-414-289-9805)

bye

Mauro Ventura

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by mauroventura
    Hello Websta,
    I know that essilor in its Crizal Alizee use a special temporary coating to avoid problem during the edging phase.
    My Opinion is that this coating could be a very thin layer of Magnesium Fluoride MgF2 ( search it to Cerac inorganics USA , Phone 001-414-289-9800 Fax 001-414-289-9805)
    That would imply that the MgF is applied over the hydrophobic coating. This seems pretty unlikely though if the hydrophobic coating is applied in the vacuum chamber it is possible. Low temperature processed MgF is water soluable so it would wash away after/during edging but would probably survive for a while under the block.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH
    I have tried these as we use a super hydrophobic and they seem to work great.

see www.optochemicals.com

Non slip "HOOKER" blocking pads, the Latest Invention From OMS Opto Chemicals
    Chris,
    Can I get a sample of this product to try?

Judy Canty

Occupation
    Hello Coda.
    Yes, you're right! I mean a very thin MGF layer applied at Cold temperature over the hydrophobic layer; at the end of the AR process.
    I don't know any other kind of material that keep to increase temporary the surface energy of lens so that optician people can work lens.

Hydrophobic Lenses

ii HAVE A GOOD SOLUTION FOR BLOCKING THE HYDROPHOBIC LENSES : WE HAVE NOW SPECIAL BLOCKING PADS ADAPTED AND LENSES DOESN'T SLIDE
    Actually on promotion please fax at CMV 33 04 79 63 02 71 for details
    Christine FROMONT:)

QUOTE=Websta]Is there anyone who is able to provide me with any information on how we could apply a anti-slip coating over our super hydrophobic coated lenses?
    We have tried numerous blocking pads, and the best is from Essilor and Weco, but we need something more substantial as our loss on wasted lenses is getting out of control.

If someone can give me a supplier who provides a coating or a special pad that we can use, I would be very interested.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Hydrophobic Lenses

[hYE DEAR MAURO VENTURA?

It is funny to contact you there. Well if you have problem also with the hydrophobic lenses, you know CMV Optique in France of course.... I can help.
    Kindly
    Christine

QUOTE=mauroventura]Hello Websta,

bye

Mauro Ventura[/QUOTE]

Pad Printing Machine Very Interesting

WE ARE MANUFACTURING PAD PRINTING MACHINES FOR MARKING THE PROGRESSIVE LENSES AT VERY VERY COMPETITIVE PRICE. FOR MORE DETAILS CMV@CMV.NET IN FRANCE

Quote Originally Posted by Websta
    Is there anyone who is able to provide me with any information on how we could apply a anti-slip coating over our super hydrophobic coated lenses?

Thanks

Super Hydrophobic Pads

We are also manufacturing pads special adapted for super hydrophobic lenses and lenses doesn't slide cmv@cmv.net:)

Quote Originally Posted by FROMONT CHRISTINE
    WE ARE MANUFACTURING PAD PRINTING MACHINES FOR MARKING THE PROGRESSIVE LENSES AT VERY VERY COMPETITIVE PRICE. FOR MORE DETAILS CMV@CMV.NET IN FRANCE
    :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    lets keep the adverts in the right forum

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Websta

Thanks
    We use generic lens protectors without problems. But, you should really look at whether your edger wheel or blade is SHARP. Dull cutting leads to increased friction and heat under the pad as the lens turns on the wheel resulting in rotation and A/R crazing. With sharp cutting surfaces, I don't think you need any non-slip coatings or protectors at all.

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Our customers have had some luck, depending on the edger, by simply cleaning the lens with denatured alcohol or acetone prior to blocking. I know that scares a lot of people, but it's what Zeiss has recommended for the Advantage. Barring that, the Hooker pads have seemed to work well on a variety of edgers.

-Keith

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by keithbenjamin
    Our customers have had some luck, depending on the edger, by simply cleaning the lens with denatured alcohol or acetone prior to blocking. I know that scares a lot of people, but it's what Zeiss has recommended for the Advantage. Barring that, the Hooker pads have seemed to work well on a variety of edgers.

-Keith
    I've heard you shouldn't do this (alcohol/acetone) with Crizal Alize, because they put a temporary coating the lens to prevent it from slipping in the edger.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Big Smile Of course.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty
    Chris,
    Can I get a sample of this product to try?

Judy Canty
    Of course Judy,

Just send me an e-mail as well anybody else who wants some Hooker pad samples, at oms_optical@yahoo.com

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Hello Mauroventura,

I was wondering about the MgF2 coating that Essilore applies. Do you think thay have a Patent on this. I was told by someone.
    Regards,

Sujeet

Opti-Lurker
    Occupation
    You can allways search the US patent office site for issued US patents. Go to: www.uspto.gov.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a similar site for European patents, I just don't know what it is. Seems like the sort of thing Chris would know.

-Matt

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I was wondering about the MgF2 coating that Essilore applies. Do you think thay have a Patent on this
    I doubt Essilor would have a patent on the use of Magnesium Fluoride (at least by itself), since as far as I know the material was used in some of the first antireflective coatings, which were invented by Smakula at Zeiss in the 1930s.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Opti-Lurker
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister
    I doubt Essilor would have a patent on the use of Magnesium Fluoride (at least by itself), since as far as I know the material was used in some of the first antireflective coatings, which were invented by Smakula at Zeiss in the 1930s.
    Very true but they may have a product patent on it's use as a removable stiction improving coating.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by coda
    Very true but they may have a product patent on it's use as a removable stiction improving coating.
    Ahh... I see what you're saying. I didn't read this thread carefully enough.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

ophthalmic laboratories

Hello,

To all optical laboratories : we can create for you your company'slogo to print on the lenses. If you don't have any idea for a logo, please contact me at cmv@cmv.net We will find an idea.
    Kindly
    Christine FROMONT

topcoat line

Quote Originally Posted by FROMONT CHRISTINE
    Hello,

To all optical laboratories : we can create for you your company'slogo to print on the lenses. If you don't have any idea for a logo, please contact me at cmv@cmv.net We will find an idea.
    Kindly
    Christine FROMONT
    Hi to Gerry,

Will contact you by phone soon. I am very interested of your suggestion.
    Keep in touch,
    Christine FROMONT
    CMV optique

Occupation

Redhot Jumper I wouldn't be surprised .....................

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a similar site for European patents, I just don't know what it is. Seems like the sort of thing Chris would know.
    -Matt
    No idea on that........................but have not searched either.

I still say that opticians should buy regular AR coatedf lenses,............cut the lenses to fit the frame and then apply the slick coat themselves. I can be done very easily in house.

You have eliminated the slipping problem.....saved on messed up lenses and applied a slick coat that is dust and oil repellent with anti fog properties at the same time which none of the Alize and others can provide.

Occupation

Big Smile There is also another solution to slippage..................

There is also another solution to slippage.

1) get the lenses without the slick coat

2) cut lenses

3) apply slick coat after cutting in simple in house application

No more off axis lenses..............plus a slick coat that has besides all other goodies even an anti-fog property.

:cheers:

Thread Information