Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anti-slip coating for super hydrophobic lenses

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Surface Savers Tape

Hi,

My edging lab uses those blue surface savers tape which is usually used in RX blocking.

It has been more effective than those made from China or even the more expensive ones from Japan.

We customised it and make it a perfect sticker. :>

We probably do a hundred of these super HMC slippery lens everyday.

It gave me a TERRIBLE HEADACHE with a tremendous amount of lens that keep failing the QC.
    But we are having almost 0 problems with this tape.

The kind of spray(coating) that Alize uses, is very expensive. I heard it costs USD$2 / pr.

I was wondering about the MgF2 coating that Essilore applies. Do you think thay have a Patent on this

Yes they do. Its pretty locksolid on using an oxide evaporant for the purpose of edging lenses.
    Last edited by Ace; 07-22-2006 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    No idea on that........................but have not searched either.

I still say that opticians should buy regular AR coatedf lenses,............cut the lenses to fit the frame and then apply the slick coat themselves. I can be done very easily in house.

You have eliminated the slipping problem.....saved on messed up lenses and applied a slick coat that is dust and oil repellent with anti fog properties at the same time which none of the Alize and others can provide.
    How is this applied? Is it a wipe on? An ampule system with a small chamber? What's the contact angle of this product? How does it compare to alize and other super hydrophics/oleophobics? What's the ease of cleaning rating and surface tension rating? How would it ahere over the top of another hydrophobic that already is on the lens from the AR coating company. How does it hold up in longevity testing with exposure to UV and humidity? I would be very interested if it is comparable to a PVD application.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace

I was wondering about the MgF2 coating that Essilore applies. Do you think thay have a Patent on this

Yes they do. Its pretty locksolid on using an oxide evaporant for the purpose of edging lenses.

I would guess that as long as nobody is selling a process, the lab can do whatever they want.

Quote Originally Posted by dochsml
    I would guess that as long as nobody is selling a process, the lab can do whatever they want.
    Or advertising or marketing. A dangerous proposition, because everyone wants to tell their customer why their product works.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace
    Or advertising or marketing. A dangerous proposition, because everyone wants to tell their customer why their product works.
    True enough.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper No Newbie.......Has been around for a long time..........

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    How is this applied? Is it a wipe on? An ampule system with a small chamber? What's the contact angle of this product? How does it compare to alize and other super hydrophics/oleophobics? What's the ease of cleaning rating and surface tension rating? How would it ahere over the top of another hydrophobic that already is on the lens from the AR coating company. How does it hold up in longevity testing with exposure to UV and humidity? I would be very interested if it is comparable to a PVD application.
    That is a pretty large order you are putting on my plate. The easiest would be you go on my website and look for it, the answers should all be there. http://optochemicals.com

The product has been sold for many years and has been used by most major lens manufacturers around the globe and actually still is. It has been around long before the big fuss was started a few years ago.

Our slickcoat also provides besides antistatic properties also hydrophilic ones if that is of any interest. No other similar product can provide the same at this time.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb

Old Optician's Trick taught to me by my mentor optician who's been doin this for 30 years:
    Hairspray.

You see, alize lenses and other 'slippery' surfaces come in from the lab with the AR and an additional coat on top to allow for easy edging. You edge and then use alcohol/acetone/allchem to remove that outer layer. If you have already removed that layer, it's the same thing as hairspray. I always used aquanet, but I doubt the brand matters. Spray lightly, edge, and remove as above.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by coda View Post
    Very true but they may have a product patent on it's use as a removable stiction improving coating.
    Yes, they have patent on it's use
    http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/fetch.j...ERY=WO02092524

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We edge a lot of lenses in house with many types of AR - teflon, crizal alize, kodak clear, carat advantage, hivision, etc. I use standard pads and blue chip lens protectors (both sides of lens) with an AIT edger. No slippage problems.

The basics apply - make sure the lens is clean, sharpen your edger frequently, and use the AR setting on the edger. On high minus Rx poly or trivex, I rough cut the lens 10mm big, reblock, and cut the lens to size.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper USA not included in patent..................

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Yes..........and if you looks carfully you will see that the USA is NOT included.

Designated States:AE, AG, AL, AM, AT, AU, AZ, BA, BB, BG, BR, BY, BZ, CA, CH, CN, CO, CR, CU, CZ, DE, DK, DM, DZ, EC, EE, ES, FI, GB, GD, GE, GH, GM, HR, HU, ID, IL, IN, IS, JP, KE, KG, KP, KR, KZ, LC, LK, LR, LS, LT, LU, LV, MA, MD, MG, MK, MN, MW, MX, MZ, NO, NZ, OM, PH, PL, PT, RO, RU, SD, SE, SG, SI, SK, SL, TJ, TM, TN, TR, TT, TZ, UA, UG, UZ, VN, YU, ZA, ZM, ZW.
    African Regional Intellectual Property Org. (ARIPO) (GH, GM, KE, LS, MW, MZ, SD, SL, SZ, TZ, UG, ZM, ZW)
    Eurasian Patent Organization (EAPO) (AM, AZ, BY, KG, KZ, MD, RU, TJ, TM)
    European Patent Office (EPO) (AT, BE, CH, CY, DE, DK, ES, FI, FR, GB, GR, IE, IT, LU, MC, NL, PT, SE, TR)
    African Intellectual Property Organization (OAPI) (BF, BJ, CF, CG, CI, CM, GA, GN, GQ, GW, ML, MR, NE, SN, TD,

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Yes..........and if you looks carfully you will see that the USA is NOT included.

Designated States:AE, AG, AL, AM, AT, AU, AZ, BA, BB, BG, BR, BY, BZ, CA, CH, CN, CO, CR, CU, CZ, DE, DK, DM, DZ, EC, EE, ES, FI, GB, GD, GE, GH, GM, HR, HU, ID, IL, IN, IS, JP, KE, KG, KP, KR, KZ, LC, LK, LR, LS, LT, LU, LV, MA, MD, MG, MK, MN, MW, MX, MZ, NO, NZ, OM, PH, PL, PT, RO, RU, SD, SE, SG, SI, SK, SL, TJ, TM, TN, TR, TT, TZ, UA, UG, UZ, VN, YU, ZA, ZM, ZW.
    African Regional Intellectual Property Org. (ARIPO) (GH, GM, KE, LS, MW, MZ, SD, SL, SZ, TZ, UG, ZM, ZW)
    Eurasian Patent Organization (EAPO) (AM, AZ, BY, KG, KZ, MD, RU, TJ, TM)
    European Patent Office (EPO) (AT, BE, CH, CY, DE, DK, ES, FI, FR, GB, GR, IE, IT, LU, MC, NL, PT, SE, TR)
    African Intellectual Property Organization (OAPI) (BF, BJ, CF, CG, CI, CM, GA, GN, GQ, GW, ML, MR, NE, SN, TD,

I know, but I am rather sure that there is another patent where USA is included. I work in Eurorpe, so I was interested in this area.
    Best regards

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    The reference above is not an issued patent but rather a patent application for PCT. Applications publish a period of time after filing. I believe it to be 12 mos in Europe and 18 mos in the US. Issued patents will follow the application. The US patent office has it's own process different from PCT.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by FCChemist View Post
    The reference above is not an issued patent but rather a patent application for PCT. Applications publish a period of time after filing. I believe it to be 12 mos in Europe and 18 mos in the US. Issued patents will follow the application. The US patent office has it's own process different from PCT.
    It is 30 months in Europe for putting in a claim (i am not sure if it's good word) for PCT application in other countries which mentioned in the patent.

Professional Rabble-Rouser hipoptical's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    The Evil Empire has been denied patent rights so far. An application is not a patent, it is an application. They are changing wording, and applying again, but will likely be denied once again. There are others currently using the "Patent-pending-super-duper-won't ruin your lenses-coating" (FYI).

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Better off with Diamond slick coat................

So you actually still be better off by orderiung you AR coating the regular way ..............cut and edge the lenses and then apply the Diamond slick coat just before mounting the lenses.

Additional benefit is also a build it anti-fog system that the other does not have. Cheaper.......easier.......better.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

temporary coating

We tried MgF2 as a temporary coating on superhydrophobic with 2 nm, 5 nm and 10 nm.However, we could not obtain a temporary coating. It forms very strong bond with hyrophobic surface.Can you suggest any idea about the temporary coating?

Hasan Sayin, Ph.D

Occupation

Sample.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Chris,
    Can I get a sample of this product to try?

Judy Canty

Of course we aree pleased to sample the products, I supply the sample you pay the transport.

We do that because so many time when you call somebody that got a sample for free.........they never even tried it in 3 month.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Edging problem

Hi,

I do edging everyday and sometimes it comes across with some sort of spoke-like scratches at the hard coat layer. The lens manufacturer said it was due to the heat transmitted to the center of the lenses during edging and it led to the detachment of the hard coat layer finally. It happens to some particular brands, (and it never happens on Crizal Alize coated lenses). Even the lenses was edged with no problem at first, the hard- coating scratches come after half year. Poor quality of the lenses?

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    If this happens primarily in high minus prescriptions with thin centers, the clamping or "chucking" pressure of the edger may be causing the lenses to flex at the center and crazing the antireflection coating. You can minimize this issue by reducing chucking pressure, using a larger block/pad, etcetera.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation

The Answer is Lens Wrap!!!!

It's a coating that is dipped and cured to the lens to form a front and back side protection over any lens material and AR/super Hydro AR....

It is fantastic!!!!! Up for an OLA award this year.

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optisales View Post
    It's a coating that is dipped and cured to the lens to form a front and back side protection over any lens material and AR/super Hydro AR....

It is fantastic!!!!! Up for an OLA award this year.

I clicked your pic and found the link:

http://www.qtmi.net/product.php?category=4&id=33

Thanks
    Last edited by DocInChina; 08-10-2007 at 12:37 AM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DocInChina View Post
    I clicked your pic and found the link:

http://www.qtmi.net/product.php?category=4&id=33

Thanks
    Let me know if you want more information as I can set you up. The beauty of this product is that it can peal right off or washed off with water....Very cost effective as well!!!

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Thanks for the information. We will investigate this some more as it looks like a viable option but is dependant on the speed of the process.
    Will keep in contact when we take it further.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Bullseye works.....

Bullseye washes off in the edger. It's about a 2 minute application.

Thread Information