Thread: Dealing with patient queries in the forums

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dealing with patient queries in the forums

Looking at some of the recent threads in the progressive and general forums, it does seem to me that we need to have a bit of a discussion about how we deal with members of the general public asking us questions in the forums

Questions seem to be allong the same lines

• what is the best progressive
    • Im not getting on with the local practitioners, they dont seem to know anything - what shall I do
    • what are the best coatings / other products
    • im concerned with my sight test result
    some of the questioners seem to want a "online dispense" others are genuinly trying to work out whats best to do

Our responses are far from consistant. There are a number of informal policy requests... but nobody folows them, and what starts out as a innocent question ends up being a slaning match between professionals, which makes us even more silly

so:

• should we carry on as we are doing?
    • should we refer them to a qualified practitioner?
    • should we agree not to be in conflict in the posts from members of the public?
    • should we agree something else?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I posted a couple weeks back that we can give advice, but be smarter how we give it.

I remember a poster being on here asking PAL advice and someone engrained in their mind that the Shamir Genesis was the best. Now I have no problem with that lens, but the poster was from Canada where the Genesis is pretty much only sold in Shoppers Optical, a chain.

So instead of the consumer going to a the best optical shop to get the best service, fitting, and product they were looking at a chain that has subpar service, fittings (depending on who you get), an AR that you can actually pull off the lens, and a junk rims frame.

Now did we actually give the consumer the best advice? I think not.

Occupation
    I try to stay out of those threads. It seems like lately we have had quite a few consumer queries.

Perhaps, there could be an article database ~ Steve and Mods could select the best articles submitted from optiboarders on a few topics ~ that way, the consumers can get the information they seek while the information is moderated.

That's my idea ...

Karen

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by GOS_Queen
    I try to stay out of those threads. It seems like lately we have had quite a few consumer queries.

Perhaps, there could be an article database ~ Steve and Mods could select the best articles submitted from optiboarders on a few topics ~ that way, the consumers can get the information they seek while the information is moderated.

That's my idea ...

Karen
    bump'n because this idea has come up again by QDO1 and I think it has merit.

Thread Information