Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Athiesm Vs Religion... let battle commence

Bad address email on file
    Spexvet, your desperate attempts to get me inflamed are ineffective, but I'm flattered. Keep trying. Someday you might actually convince yourself that you are an athiest.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    you guys want me to believe in the "one true god" and you cant even decide amongst yourselves what or who that is, how on earth are you going to convince me that god exists if he is this to one person and that to another

Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    you guys want me to believe in the "one true god" and you cant even decide amongst yourselves what or who that is, how on earth are you going to convince me that god exists if he is this to one person and that to another
    Personally I don't think its possible for one person to convince another that God exists. Many people tried to convince me, but I never had faith until I discovered the truth for myself.
    What I find hard to accept, QDO1, is that you don't see any "reasonable doubt," that there might be a God.

Quote Originally Posted by drk
    ...we do not gain acceptance from God by our works. Just by our faith in Jesus.
    Very interesting, intruiging, thought-provoking, simple, curious, stunning, questionable, intelligent, confusing and profound.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairtime
    Personally I don't think its possible for one person to convince another that God exists. Many people tried to convince me, but I never had faith until I discovered the truth for myself.
    What I find hard to accept, QDO1, is that you don't see any "reasonable doubt," that there might be a God.
    with out 1 shred of proof, and all the religious sorts arguing about what god is, who god is, how many gods there are, whats in, whats not and all the other frictious things that worry you, what do you expect me to think...

your arguments are like one person saying to me:
    6+6 = 10 when someone else says 6+6=4 and expecting me to believe that you all grasp mathematics, and that I should join the new number order

Are you suggesting that all scientists agree? I think you'll find that there's just as much disagreement among scientists about every topic under the sun and including the sun. It doesn't mean the sun doesn't exist. Some scientists thought light rays came out of the eyes, some said light goes into the eyes. Doesn't mean there are no eyes.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Well, this has been interesting...

I think you've come full circle back to the original point. Namely, figuring out from whence we come and how we ought to be are not journeys with an end that can be proven beyond what you believe them to be.

Arguing with the intention of trying to persuade (although if anyone is seriously trying to persuade anyone else by the arguments that have taken place here, it seems you're going about it in an awfully strange way) is akin to trying to convince someone that what they are looking at isn't what they're seeing. Some of us here obviously look at the world and see the product of time and chance. Others see the creation of God, god, gods, or aliens. Unfortunately, since none of us were around to observe our origin it would seem we are destined to remain at an empasse.

After going through numerous arguments just like those posted thus far, I've determined that I know what I believe, I try to live according to it (with varying success), I'm happy to share my beliefs if asked, but I'm not going to get over-anxious about convincing anyone else I'm right (especially since I happen to believe that convincing can only be accomplished by the Holy Spirit).

For those of you still unsure of what you believe, good luck in your quest and believe in whatever you believe in with all your heart.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Check this out

1 Cor 2:14
    14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. (KJV)

Very interesting, intruiging, thought-provoking, simple, curious, stunning, questionable, intelligent, confusing and profound.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    and Gene Robinson ?
    Christian sinners go to heaven. Is he a Christian, though? This is where God will judge, not me.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    ...and 100% from the Bible, not me.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    DRK:

Read the last few pages in you bible, It says: " He shall come to judge what you have done." Does not say anything about what you thought, read, professed to believe or any such. It is very clear that your actions will be judged.

Chip

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Justification by faith. Eternal rewards by works. Sinning Christians (myself included) will have less reward in heaven. The more you live your life for the Lord, the greater your reward. Bema seat judgement.
    http://www.gotquestions.org/judgment-seat-Christ.html

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i take it no one wants to debate Atheism Vs Religion

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally Posted by QDO1
    I have a question for those who claim to be religious

"Do you think it is logically possible that a deductive disproof of your god may exist in the 99.9% that is outside your pool of knowledge and experience?"

this is an easy question requiring a yes or no,

No, because you can't prove a negative. Ask any lawyer.
    well in that case you are implying you know everything about the 99.9% outside of your own pool of knowledge and experience... you are either god, who you would agree, in your view is omnipresent or, you are omnipresent yourself, which would make you in conflict with your god

"you are implying you know everything about the 99.9% outside of your own pool of knowledge and experience"

I don't agree with your statement, but it's irrelevent. Your logic is neutral and it applies to your own belief that there is no God as well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk
    If I may simplify the question: Would I stipulate that there's a possibility of a good, logical, argument that disproves God's existance?

I'm going to hairsplit: I say there is a possibility of such an argument, and that it may be difficult to refute, logically.
    You are absoloutley correct, you can not refute it logically, and besides that God is both in conflict with itself (in the the terms of the different religious groups describe god) - it cant be one thing to one group, and another thing to a different group and yet be the same thing. So show me the evidence for god, because at the moment it is looking quite shakey in the proof department

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "you are implying you know everything about the 99.9% outside of your own pool of knowledge and experience"

I don't agree with your statement, but it's irrelevent. Your logic is neutral and it applies to your own belief that there is no God as well.
    think about it again - you are implying that you, know that dispite the fact you cant know everything, you do know that god 100% exists

May it please the court?

King, is it a coincidence that you are playing the Devil's Advocate?

You are like the criminal defense attorney that knows his client is guilty but says "you can't prove he's guilty." Winning the case doesn't make him innocent.

The point is, the legal system, science, gay marriages, belief in God by athiests, all depends upon proof. The truth is the truth whether it can be proved or not.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The point is, the legal system, science, gay marriages, belief in God by athiests, all depends upon proof. The truth is the truth whether it can be proved or not.
    so for you it is just blind faith?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    and what is "the truth" is your truth the same as the next persons, or is "the truth" just a lazy way out of the argument

Bad address email on file Lynne's Avatar

Wave

[QUOTE=Spexvet]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynne
    So when you learn about, and understand, electricity and gravity, it is no longer a mysterious, incomprehensible power, it's just electricity and gravity. When you learn about and understand God, he becomes...
    Some-one with whom I can have a close relationship, who loves and understands me no matter how much I goof up, who will guide me, IF I ask, who will forgive my sins, IF I ask, who will help me to overcome my sin-nature IF I ask, who will have fellowship with IF I ask, in faith, believing....

But trying to explain that to a non-believer is like having the blind men trying to explain what an elephant is looks like!!:D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Lynne]
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet

Some-one with whom I can have a close relationship, who loves and understands me no matter how much I goof up, who will guide me, IF I ask, who will forgive my sins, IF I ask, who will help me to overcome my sin-nature IF I ask, who will have fellowship with IF I ask, in faith, believing....

But trying to explain that to a non-believer is like having the blind men trying to explain what an elephant is looks like!!:D
    so tell me about this relsationship - what is god like, exactly how does he guide you. Is it just faith for you too?

Bad address email on file Lynne's Avatar

Wave

your view is contary to many other christians which are VERY FIRM on the trinity

It seems quite convinient to be muddled, when the hard questions start
    I do believe in the Trinity, just don't have to, nor need to, understand how it is that One God can be three persons. But when Jesus said that He and The Father are One, then that is good enough for me!! Silly me, so muddled!:D

Oh, and of course, the Holy Spirit is from the same Godhead, before you ask me!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynne
    I do believe in the Trinity, just don't have to, nor need to, understand how it is that One God can be three persons. But when Jesus said that He and The Father are One, then that is good enough for me!! Silly me, so muddled!:D

Oh, and of course, the Holy Spirit is from the same Godhead, before you ask me!
    but the moslems view jesus as just a prophet... is he a prophet, or god - are millions of moslems wrong?

Thread Information