Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: Athiesm Vs Religion... let battle commence

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairtime
    Father, Son, Holy Spirit. The Holy Trinity. One God.
    absoloutly right, the moslem view utterly opposes that though

Bad address email on file
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    absoloutly right, the moslem view utterly opposes that though
    Then Moslems are wrong. There's still only one God.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    in islam jesus and mohamed are prophets. In christianity, jesus (as part of the trinity) is god

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    so who is right who is wrong? islam or christian. If god is omnipresent - howcome your (christian version) of god is in the west, and the (islam) basically in the east, ought to be even or there ought not be 2 gods

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Bone up on your history! History isnt pick and choose what you want
    Hey, why did you say that? Where am I wrong?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    IN the Qur'an none of the teachings of prophets who where in the linaiage before Muhammad are denied. Including Adam, Abraham , Solomon and Jesus, the Biblical and even extra-Biblical prophets are affirmed. Many actions of these prophets are lauded in the the Qur'an.
    What does this prove, in your opinion? Is it that since the Qur'an affirms Judeo-christian characters that the religions are related? I guess so, somewhat loosely, but you could say that any latter-day religion that includes aspects of an older religion is related, then.

Heck, New Age religion and Satanism also allude to the Hebrew faith. Are they offshoots, too? Clearly not.

I'm finding it difficult to grasp your arguments.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk
    What does this prove, in your opinion? Is it that since the Qur'an affirms Jewish characters that the religions are related? I guess so, somewhat loosely, but you could say that any latter-day religion that includes aspects of an older religion is related, then.

Heck, New Age religion and Satanism also allude to the Hebrew faith. Are they offshoots, too?
    what this says is as folows:

• History says the now different religions are related and share the same origins, scriptures, initial philosopies and god
    • Now they are opposed to eachother in fundamental ways - trinity Vs prophets, all claiming to have thier own singular god etc
    • from the Individual moslem, jewish and christian ponts of view you all calim to be right, but clearly you cant be
    • If you (or them) are not right now, you and the others were clearly all wrong when you all shared the same god
    dont dismis this philosophy so lightly, if you actually go read the Qur'an side by side with the bible the similarities are striking, especially the acccount of the beginning of the world, and the early prophets - similar in the sense of reading Mathew, mark, luke and johns accounts of the same event
    Last edited by QDO1; 11-03-2005 at 04:51 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What does this prove, in your opinion? Is it that since the Qur'an affirms Judeo-christian characters that the religions are related? I guess so, somewhat loosely, but you could say that any latter-day religion that includes aspects of an older religion is related, then.
    You would say your religion is related to jesus, so that coveres the last 2000 years

How many 1000 years was there in the liniage between your adam and jesus? how many generations

the three religions all have pretty much the same origins up to that point

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    at one point you were all saying - prove there isnt a god - now I am saying - prove there is - because at the moment your religion(s) are all on pretty shakey ground

what my hypothises says - if you care to discuss the differences between the way you view your gods, and the origins of your religion with moslems and jews that at least 2/3 of your gods cant be real, and if they are all the same god, then you are all wrong, and there isnt a god at all

If i listen to you collectivley - hindu- jew, christian, moslem, jehovas witness, bhudist etc...- a few things are clear

• you are all right - that is you all claim to be 100 % right, and ebvery one else is wrong
    • and you all have a different opinion to each other (except - many of your religions paradoxically have the same origins)
    that says to me
    • either you are all wrong
    • or, all but one of you are wrong
    so either:
    • prove all but one of you is right
    • or prove you are all right
    because at the moment - it looks on balance - you are all wrong

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'll try to think along those lines, but I don't agree with most of your contentions.

How would one religion claim to be more authentic than another? I would say "the truth will out":

Which one has explained the observable universe better?
    Which one that has prophesy has come true?
    Which one is more internally consistent?

Liars eventually trip up, even very good ones.

Comparing Judaism to Christianity is very difficult, since Christianity includes ancient Judaism. If one were to show that the Hebrew prophets pointed to a messiah, and that Jesus fulfilled many of the predictions, then that's a good argument. Modern day Judaism I'm not familiar with, but there may be inconsistencies there, that have accreted recently.

Comparing Christianity to Islam is where the action's at. Despite the "heavy borrowing" of a counterfeit religion, I still think there are ways to refute Islam internally.

I just don't have that ammo, right now.

Bad address email on file Lynne's Avatar

Wave

[QUOTE=QDO1]Right, so now we have established that Yahweh is the common root to the jewish, christian and moslem religions, would someone explain to me why Jehovah and Allah, at least as traditionally understood, cannot both exist at the same time. Both claim to be the Creator of the universe, but they have contradictory attributes (e.g., Christianity claims that there are three "persons" known as God but Islam claims that there is only one). Therefore, Allah and Jehovah cannot both be "God"; at least one cannot exist

Which one guys - both or one

OK, my "take", there is ONE God, who has several names, that describe the different aspects of His character, Jehovah, Jehovah Rapha, Jehovah Nissei etc (forget the exact meanings of the different character traits just quoted, my Provider and my Healer, I think, not necessarily in that order). One of the Hebrew names for Him was El-Al, which I think may be the same root as Allah?? Not a linguist, so just a guess.

Anyway, One God, three persons, pips/core, skin, one apple, three parts, tea/sugar/milk, one cup of tea!! Three in One..... Do I understand it? No, but that's OK, I don't need to. He is my Creator, and Jesus is my Saviour, because without Him I cannot have fellowship with God, now or in eternity. Can I proof it? NO, but faith is just that - faith, believing in what is not seen!

I have faith that when I put on the light switch the light will come on, but can I see electricity? No, but its there! I know, I know, you guys will explain how it works etc, but its not necessary for me to know how it works to believe in it! Same as gravity! If I say I don't believe in gravity, does that mean it doesn't exist?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'll try to think along those lines, but I don't agree with most of your contentions.

How would one religion claim to be more authentic than another? I would say "the truth will out":

Which one has explained the observable universe better?
    Presto, or intelligent design? Pu-leeeeze! Oh, you were referring to Darwin!:bbg:

Liars eventually trip up, even very good ones.
    :finger:
    Now why do you have to call them liars? They believe the same way you do, and are as absolutely as sure as you are that their religion is the only Truth. Do you really think 1.6 billion Buddhists are all saying "we're really fooling those Monotheists, aren't we? We just have to keep up this charade until Armageddon, and we'll win!"? What's their point?
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Lynne]
    Right, so now we have established that Yahweh is the common root to the jewish, christian and moslem religions, would someone explain to me why Jehovah and Allah, at least as traditionally understood, cannot both exist at the same time. Both claim to be the Creator of the universe, but they have contradictory attributes (e.g., Christianity claims that there are three "persons" known as God but Islam claims that there is only one). Therefore, Allah and Jehovah cannot both be "God"; at least one cannot exist

Which one guys - both or one

OK, my "take", there is ONE God, who has several names, that describe the different aspects of His character, Jehovah, Jehovah Rapha, Jehovah Nissei etc (forget the exact meanings of the different character traits just quoted, my Provider and my Healer, I think, not necessarily in that order). One of the Hebrew names for Him was El-Al, which I think may be the same root as Allah?? Not a linguist, so just a guess.

Anyway, One God, three persons, pips/core, skin, one apple, three parts, tea/sugar/milk, one cup of tea!! Three in One..... Do I understand it? No, but that's OK, I don't need to. He is my Creator, and Jesus is my Saviour, because without Him I cannot have fellowship with God, now or in eternity. Can I proof it? NO, but faith is just that - faith, believing in what is not seen!

I have faith that when I put on the light switch the light will come on, but can I see electricity? No, but its there! I know, I know, you guys will explain how it works etc, but its not necessary for me to know how it works to believe in it! Same as gravity! If I say I don't believe in gravity, does that mean it doesn't exist?
    So when you learn about, and understand, electricity and gravity, it is no longer a mysterious, incomprehensible power, it's just electricity and gravity. When you learn about and understand God, he becomes...
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    So when you learn about, and understand, electricity and gravity, it is no longer a mysterious, incomprehensible power, it's just electricity and gravity. When you learn about and understand God, he becomes...
    And before you go there, everybody, We learned about and understand lightening and no longer worship Thors. We learned about and understand how the sun travels across the sky, and no longer worship Apollo. Is it a little arrogant to think the God of Abraham is different?
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynne

your view is contary to many other christians which are VERY FIRM on the trinity

It seems quite convinient to be muddled, when the hard questions start

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    your view is contary to many other christians which are VERY FIRM on the trinity

It seems quite convinient to be muddled, when the hard questions start
    Like lumping it into "presto" or "God's will", Or "God works in mysterious ways". Muddle. Convenience.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    the only thing consistant about religion is inconsistancy

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Satan's the liar, not Islamic people. They're mislead.

I think she's a trinitarian, re-read her post.

Intelligent design fits known facts better than evolution.

Spex, PM me your address for this darn DVD I'm trying to send you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Satan's the liar, not Islamic people. They're mislead.

I think she's a trinitarian, re-read her post.

Intelligent design fits known facts better than evolution.

Spex, PM me your address for this darn DVD I'm trying to send you.
    so you say islam is wrong then

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Oui.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oui.
    well i immagine ther are millions of muslims that would dissagree with you

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Many more than millions disagree with "me".

13"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.
    Matthew 7:13

He said to them, 24"Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. Luke 13:24

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    when you all agree that you have 1/2/3 gods and can prove it... let me know

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy
    You guys crack me up, why would anyone care/not care what ones PERSONAL religious thoughts are? I just dont understand. I dont care what you belive in as long as you belive in SOMETHING. Good luck batting this one around, I'm going to enjoy watching this one!:D
    Pre-friggin'-CISELY! I don't care what yours are and mine are no business of yours. The end.

Quote Originally Posted by ikon44
    I think the theories proposed for the meaning of life by douglas adams have as much chance of being correct as any other.
    Douglas was right about an amazing number of things. I just mentioned the galactic president's role to my father last night:

The President in particular is very much a figurehead - he wields no real power whatsoever. He is apparently chosen by the government, but the qualities he is required to display are not those of leadership but those of finely judged outrage. For this reason the President is always a controversial choice, always an infuriating but fascinating character. His job is not to wield power but to draw attention away from it.
    Suprisingly, the liberal bastions of truth we call universities by an large still support evolutionary theory.

I guess that makes evolution true.
    Hey, let's get rid of all those pesky theories! Evangelical Scientists Refute Gravity With New 'Intelligent Falling' Theory.

Rimmy, you need to add a J or K to your list: Followers of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Who cares more, and who is the more tolerant? The person who's trying to save these people from eternal separation from God, or the person who isn't sure of what they believe, and (out of understandable consistency) is unwilling to propose something that they themselves are not sure of?
    I do have to say that you're the only deeply religious person 'round these parts more concerned with getting your point across and helping people out than telling them why they're going to hell.

But you're still a little too overly concerned with who's going to hell. An observation, not an accusation. The "an eternity of suffering awaits those who reject god's undying love" argument is a really strange one.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a question for those who claim to be religious

"Do you think it is logically possible that a deductive disproof of your god may exist in the 99.9% that is outside your pool of knowledge and experience?"

this is an easy question requiring a yes or no,

Thread Information