Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Athiesm Vs Religion... let battle commence

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    BTW, I'm not sure I would fit in with the intelligent design or evolution crowd. I like to think I'm a fairly scientific fellow (I read and enjoy Scientific American, which should indicate I'm at least interested in things of a scientific nature), but I don't view the origin of the universe as a subject where science is likely to provide many answers.

Strictly speaking, science involves subjects that are observable and/or repeatable. The creation of the universe is neither. By faith (i.e., without any physical evidence) I believe the universe was created by God- how He did it is both beyond my comprehension- and, to be honest- my interest or curiosity. The same thing applies to the development of life. Given the genre of literature into which Genesis falls, the "six days" could be a symbol of six eras- or it could be six literal days. The important thing to me is that we are here because God caused us to be here- how that happened is immaterial (it surely could have been in six days, who knows?).

I really don't mind if my children are taught evolutionary theory in school. Evolution is the most plausible way mankind has come up with to explain his own existence apart from creation. From a scientific point of view, you can neither prove nor disprove it (thus, it is a theory). It seems to me intelligent design is a theory as well- and just as plausible as evolution. I can understand why some would balk at having it inserted into curriculum, however. (Popular Science publishes the "10 worst jobs in Science") every year- this year, "science teacher in Kansas" made the list due to the "horror" of having to include intelligent design... I think this is a bit melodramatic, but its a typical political statement from PS).

At the risk of seeming ignorant, I simply don't much care how I came to be- I'm more concerned with why I came to be. If you don't grasp the why, it seems to me the "how" is rather trivial.

...the faith "seems" like foolishness to the natural man.
    Yeah, I didn't want to offend anyone by calling them a "natural man" sans the context in which Paul was speaking. It seems a bit condescending to state that God is only knowable to those whom He makes Himself known (with the implication that God has made Himself known to me, but not to someone else). That's one of the more troubling things about being a Calvinist, btw (predetermination, foreknowledge, and selection).

Pete, great post, but I think you surpassed the 500 word limit. Its easier for the rest of us to keep it under the limit.
    Please accept my apologies (as an excuse, I'd note I haven't posted in quite a while and was on my lunch break). If you think THIS post was long, you really need to do a search on posts by someone named Darris in years gone by...
    :)

PS- I'm not sure Darwin addressed the beginning of single cell life- I think he simply laid out how the species came to be. Either way, the fellow certainly had an imagination!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Bad address email on file Lynne's Avatar

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by drk
    a)
    a) for me too. Forget who said it, but Religion is man searching for God, Christianity is God reaching down to man.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairtime
    Just so we all know who is who, please respond using letter only.

a) I believe in God and Satan but worship God and reject Satan.
    b) I believe in God and Satan but worship Satan and reject God.
    c) I believe in God and Satan but worship neither.
    d) I believe in and worship only God.
    e) I believe in and worship only Satan.
    f) I don't believe in or worship God or Satan.
    g) I don't know what to believe.
    I don't know what letter to put down.

I'm Pagan. I believe in and worship the Goddess, I don't believe in Satan.

Bad address email on file
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui
    I don't know what letter to put down. I'm Pagan. I believe in and worship the Goddess, I don't believe in Satan.
    Well if you don't believe in or worship God or Satan then your letter is f). But personally, I think you are worshipping Satan, whether you realize it or not. Pagans are into extreme feminism, orgies, nudity, self power. All things Satan wants you to live for.
    Last edited by Chairtime; 10-31-2005 at 09:51 PM.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Where did you get that information on Pagans, Chairtime... the movies? Pagans and the poorly understood realm of wicca are not always intertwined in the way you wrote.

For as it harm none do what you will.

Blessed Be.
    Last edited by JRS; 11-01-2005 at 12:47 AM.
    J. R. Smith

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I don't know where Chairtime got his information either, it's nothing like my religion practices.
    Last edited by Jacqui; 11-01-2005 at 08:48 AM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Jacqui:

I mean this with all due respect, but you have to hear the truth. There is only one God, the Hebrew/Christian God. You are either worshipping a figment of your imagination/lifeless idol (hopefully) or Satan/his demons have disguised themselves as your "Goddess". There are no other alternatives.

If your "Goddess" has real power that you have experienced, it's Satanic. Get out of there, quickly. Satan is the "father of all lies" and he will deceive you, in order to keep you from Christ Jesus. His goal is to take you to hell.

Look at your adversary:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satan

I don't want to offend you either Jacqui. But I have read books on Paganism. These are things Pagans do. YOU might not partake in any of it. But it's there. One example, the fact you worship a Goddess (feminine). Satan likes to turn everything upside down.

Power and Sex

"Pagan does not define me, I define Pagan."

"Also offers free spells and several collections of illustrated self-empowerment spells for retail purchase."

According to pagan sexual morality, sex gives human beings access to God, and for this reason the more intense, unrestrained and overwhelming sexual experience becomes, the more intensely spiritual and moral it becomes as well. On this Moore says, "The whole pleasant work of sex is to incarnate, to call down the spirit that will quicken our physical world and give home to eros." He goes on to explain that "lovemaking is a ritual that invites the Goddess of sex to be present."

-from www.mind-n-magick.com

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Without trying to defend someone else's beliefs (which is a task surely better handled by the believer), I would point out that the word pagan has a lot of different meanings (that is, from the very beginning of the term).

If I recollect correctly from my History of Christianity class in college (which was quite a while back now), I believe "pagan" was a sort of insult Christians used to toss at Romans who hadn't adopted Christianity. Funny thing, you see- Christians were persecuted in Roman society, until the Roman emporer Constantine converted to Christianity. Of course, as soon as they became the state religion, Christians seemed to rather immediately transform from the persecuted to the persecutor! Anyway, "pagan" was akin to derisively calling someone a "religious quack."

By the time the word evolved into an actual religion of its own (there are many pagan religions), you had groups like the Druids. The Druids, like most pagan groups, do not worship Satan. Instead, it would perhaps be most accurate to say they worship nature- the cycles, birth and death, and yeah- sexual relations (which, to me, is the most marketable part of the belief system ;^).

Anyway, I don't know if that describes the paganism that is adhered to by any of the other posters in this thread- just wanted to clarify one definition of paganism.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin
    So to begin. I am an Athiest. I dont believe in god. For me - I havent seen, experienced, or known a god to believe in. For me god is a figment of the immagination in the minds of the religious.
    This about sums up what will likely be our different view of the world, as it defines the a priori assumptions we will each make in our approach to any discussion of the divine. As mentioned, I believe in God. This belief comes from observation and experiences (therefore, it can probably be assumed that you and I have had a different set of experiences up to this point in life).
    So what role does God play? Does he control every thought we have, all of our movements? Or did he set up the universe and let it ride?

Since you believe in no divine power, I'm assuming you subscribe to the theory that the universe came into being through a great explosion called the "Big Bang." Of course, unless you are very creative, you probably have no data regarding the origin of the infintesimal speck of matter that predated this explosion. Likewise, I can offer no explanation as to the origin of God. I'm just attempting to note up front that the origin of the universe is something which cannot be absolutely accounted for by either an atheistic or religious approach.

Furthermore, I'll assume you believe in the theory of evolution to explain the presence of life on this planet. Since evolution is not observable or repeatable (the requirements for science to make a definitive statement), again we'll have to argue based on our assumptions. Likewise, although a proposed account of creation is posted in Genesis, I wasn't personally there and obviously cannot scientifically prove the accuracy of that account- so neither of us has an absolutely provable position here either.
    But which sounds more reasonable?
    Atoms combine to make molecules, which combine to make amino acids, which combine to make one celled "animals", which mutate into many celled animals and millions of years and millions of mutations later, into human beings.
    or
    Presto!

BTW, google artificial life and you'll find that creating life in the laboratory may not be as far away as you think (allegedly).

That is a tremendously long-winded way of stating that we're back to what we each "believe" based on experience (which you were able to do in one sentence, my compliments). So, what experiences do I have that lead me to a conclusion which differs from your own?

First, I find myself unable to believe that the universe, this planet, life, etc. came into being by time and chance (perhaps I'm just not imaginative enough to think through the remoteness of how this could happen through chance).
    Somebody seems to win the PowerBall drawing, eventually. Even the Red Sox eventually won the world series. Consider the billions of stars and billions of years.

From the beginning, then, I admit that the origin of my travel toward a belief in God comes from the ordered nature of the universe and an inability to account for it otherwise (religion usually begins thus- the Greeks believed in religious forces behind lightning and all sorts of other nonsense).
    How does the God of Abraham differ from Greek and Norse gods. They all "explain" that which we didn't/don't understand, or want to understand.

So there it is. I should mention that I also believe that religion is pretty much for the birds. True religion is loving God and loving your neighbor as yourself- according to the Bible, anyway. The rest of it is trappings that have arisen in man's attempt to assist people in believing (although with the trappings come an alarming number of unnecessary additions, distortions, and outright heresies)...
    Formalized religion institution, beginning with all it's good intentions, eventually comes down to attaining and maintaining power/wealth.

So, other than stating that I do believe in God based on my own experiences, there is nothing I can offer by way of argument to claim that I'm right and you are wrong. As Keikergaard (sp?) claimed, it all boils down to a leap of faith. It is completely possible that you are absolutely correct- the world originated from an explosion, life evolved to the point it is today, and we'll all pass into oblivion soon enough with no consequences one way or the other. Likewise, it would seem I could also be correct in my beliefs- each of us can only go by our own observations.
    I agree.

One question I would ask, however. Why should an atheist submit to ANY law- religious or otherwise? That is, if we are all here by chance, it seems each of us should pretty much govern ourselves. Forget all the "living together in society" crap. After all, society- like religion- is just a vehicle of the weak (who are too feeble to make their own decisions and livelihood). I'm not even suggesting atheism is wrong- I'd just like to know what a world comprised solely of true atheists would look like (I think it would have some rather interesting characteristics). Religion has resulted in all sorts of historically documentable atrocities- so has atheism (e.g., the U.S.S.R. was an atheistic community).
    No one is raised i a vacuum. Morals/values are instilled from birth by whoever raises a child. The USSR was an atheistic state, but its citizens were not necessarily atheists.

...If you think THIS post was long, you really need to do a search on posts by someone named Darris in years gone by...
    :)
    The difference being that your posts are fair and interesting...
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    (which, to me, is the most marketable part of the belief system ;^).
    A great point!:D I'll have to check out the next pegan gathering, (of course just to hand out pamplets from the southern baptist convention!!) You guys crack me up, why would anyone care/not care what ones PERSONAL religious thoughts are? I just dont understand. I dont care what you belive in as long as you belive in SOMETHING. Good luck batting this one around, I'm going to enjoy watching this one!:D
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Last night went to the Steelers/Ravens game. There were 61K people there who absolutely believed in God. At least during that last minute and a half!;) Anyone go to Catholic school and remember the bizarre "Pagan Babies" charity drives? You really can't make this stuff up!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    Does [God] control every thought we have, all of our movements?
    No, he gave us free will.
    Which sounds more reasonable? Atoms combine to make molecules, which combine to make amino acids, which combine to make one celled "animals", which mutate into many celled animals and millions of years and millions of mutations later, into human beings.or Presto!
    Which sounds more reasonable. The complexity of life over millions of years is an accident??
    Formalized religion institution, beginning with all it's good intentions, eventually comes down to attaining and maintaining power/wealth.
    No, you're thinking of "The American Way."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here you go, QDO1:

Do you believe "there is no God", or do you "not believe in God"? Please be excruciatingly specific.
    I believe there is no god. Is that specific enough?

The phrase I do not believe IN god, implys there is one to believe in

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey, if you worship the Devil, and Satan believes in God (since he's met him many, many, many times..) why don't you?
    I dont believe there is a satan, pixies, , faries, angels or ghosts either etc

Occupation
    http://www.religioustolerance.org/hallo_he.htm

Now here is a fun idea!!! This is what traditional religion needs: production value.

Doesn't it sometimes seem like the % of crazy people is getting higher and higher?

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Oops

Ps 14:1
    1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good. (KJV)

Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    I believe there is no god. Is that specific enough?

The phrase I do not believe IN god, implys there is one to believe in

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok, I will take that to mean you believe, rather certainly, that there is no God.

It seems like you are saying: "I've used my five senses, and integrated the whole thing in my head, and, nope, I don't see any evidence of God."

You are a "show me" kind of guy, right? You are a skeptic, a materialist, right? You are prepared to make statements of truth based on your senses and reason, right?
    No I am saying there is no god. I havent gone looking for evidence of something that is not there, I dont need to make a mental assumption about it. The evidence people keep trying to present just re-inforces my position, as non of it ever stacks up. NO one has ever presented to me a argument that explains god as anything other than a figment of the imagination in the heads of the religious

What I am not saying is that I have an exclisivity on rightness. I mentioned in another thread that electricity for example would be beyond the comprehension of somone 2000 years ago, and the things we can do with it now would have been called magical. I am prepared to be proved wrong. but in my head the burden of proof lies with the religious, because they are declaring the existance of something, that they seem unable to demonstrate. I, however, am not declaring the existance of anything, so have nothing to tangiably demonstrate

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill West
    Ps 14:1
    1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good. (KJV)
    whats that got to do with the price of chips? I might as well quote you a page out of Ophthalmc lenses by Jalie - at least it has a high chance of being meaningful

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hypothetical question for you. If you found out that both God and Satan exist, whom would you worship?
    why would I want to worship any of them?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It may be a full life, but full of what?
    catholics tread on a fine tight rope when they pass judgment on others.. The catholic church has been responsible for no end of wrongdoings in the past

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just so we all know who is who, please respond using letter only.

a) I believe in God and Satan but worship God and reject Satan.
    b) I believe in God and Satan but worship Satan and reject God.
    c) I believe in God and Satan but worship neither.
    d) I believe in and worship only God.
    e) I believe in and worship only Satan.
    f) I don't believe in or worship God or Satan.
    g) I don't know what to believe.
    ...F

Occupation
    I think the theories proposed for the meaning of life by douglas adams have as much chance of being correct as any other.:D
    To find out what,s happening in the UK optical market:
    http://theOptom.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ikon44
    I think the theories proposed for the meaning of life by douglas adams have as much chance of being correct as any other.:D
    meaning or origin?

Thread Information