Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald
...cost and mailing them to all is a financial burden most can't afford. Go to a meeting, talk to the folks involved, and if you agree with their direction, join. There are many professional associations Opticians can play a role in, but most choose not to do so. Leaders, listen to these posts and act accordingly. You can't do all things requested here like the newsletters to everyone (who is "all opticians"?), but make an attempt to make your organization more responsive and you will grow. We need proactive leadership and active participation to again regain our status.
Who is all opticians? C'mon, it's those who work in private practice and chain opticians, lab techs, ophthalmic techs etc.

It would be nice to know when & where the meetings were held so that you can go attend!

An email newletter does not have to be expensive to send out. I know groups that have set up a yahoo group for emails read only from the administrator. The emails are posted once a month. The group membership can be monitored. Or, you can just send out a monthly email.

How about some ideas to reduce the expense of sending out a paper newsletter because it's too expensive.

It can be a one page front and back.

I can get a free ream of recycled paper at Office Depot and Office Max for just returning my printer ink cartridge for recycling.

Perhaps the officers can do a cold call sweep across the area with information. If there are several locations to a practice, perhaps hit the main one and they can get the information out.

It really doesn't have to be "just" the people on the board doing this ~ why not post volunteer opportunities on the website and ask the members to network and reach out ?

Divide the metro area up and make it a goal to visit the offices in a given area once a quarter.

Take a single package of microwave popcorn, make a label to put over it that says "the XYZ optician's association just popped in to say hi and let you know about some upcoming events" ... (actually, I got that idea from a hotel chain that stopped by the store and did that cold call ... I used it actually for another project and it was very well received!)

If 5 - 10 people in a given metro area are passionate about their industry, I bet they would LOVE to be given the chance to further their cause !!!

Or how about this one? Maybe they can talk to a local lab that services quite a few opticals and they can include a postcard flier or the newsletter with the orders? Maybe once a quarter. The lab can get "kudos" (mentioned in the newsletter) and perhaps a discounted booth rate at the yearly convention.

Edited to add:

The ASTD group I belong to will give a credit of $50 for 6 hours of volunteer time to members who volunteer for their annual convention. Perhaps if you volunteer so much time, you get a reduced rate on membership for the next year ... ???

The ASTD group also posts a "volunteer of the month" article on the website and lists volunteer opportunities.

Karen