Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is the private ownership of a gun wrong?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Is the private ownership of a gun wrong?

Is the private ownership of a gun wrong? Why would any one want a gun - they are designed for killing? arnt they? Why do you need a gun to do target shooting - why not a laser type device - is there a reason at all to justify them?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Other than hunting and stuff like that, no, people should not be able to have hand guns for play.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'll be interested in seeing these postings. Yes i think you should have the right to own guns. At the persent I dont own any(small kids in the home)but have in the past and will in the future.The reason, some for sport but mainly because I STILL can. I dont know how much longer that will hold true.
    Paul:cheers:

Bad address email on file
    Guns are not inherently wrong. They are just tools and should be allowed. Handguns should not be allowed by civilians. Any fool that has a handgun in their house with children should be shot by a handgun. Same with anyone who has an unlocked rifle or shotgun.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Read the saying of the founding fathers, especially George Washington on this subject. They should not only be allowed they should be required. The purpose of a gun is defence. Washington gave most of the success of the county to firearms. The founding fathers felt they were the best defence the population had against the government that they were establishing.

Chip

The handgun is the best defense of the weak against the strong. As Sam Colt wrote on the barrels of his handguns: "Be there a man no matter what his size, I will equalize."

The handgun makes the 90 pound 90 year old woman equal in strength to the 240 pound rapist.

The Bible does not say killing should be done. The exact commandment (Yes, Old Testament) is: "Thou Shalt not commit Murder." It is not as later wimp theologians have stated: "Thou Shalt not Kill."

Even Christ's deciples possibly Christ himself carried a sword. They also shot craps to see who would get scut jobs.
    Last edited by chip anderson; 10-28-2005 at 12:42 PM. Reason: More to say , and even more.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Guns are fine. People who misuse them or use them to commit crimes are not. Gun ownership will never be outlawed because we would not make the penalty for breaking the law stiff enough. Thats why we still have drunk drivers, rapists, child molesters, etc....... If the punishment for crimes was stiffer, I am quite certain there would be less crime. But of course, that would offend the touchy feely people. And before you mention the innocent that go to prison, that percentage is very very low compared to the definate guilty offenders.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson

Even Christ's deciples possibly Christ himself carried a sword. They also shot craps to see who would get scut jobs.
    Christ would never carry a sword or gun. The bible speaks out objectively against guns. Though shall not kill.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Read the saying of the founding fathers, especially George Washington on this subject. They should not only be allowed they should be required
    good job your founding fathers never gave americans the directive to go wage war where ever it wants... you never know what might have happened

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In the UK we dont really have guns - well criminals might have. I never seen a gun, other than at the airport being held by a policeman - all seems so alien to us. They seem so inherently wrong - by letting them saturate your society - you are asking for trouble

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    In the UK we dont really have guns - well criminals might have. I never seen a gun, other than at the airport being held by a policeman - all seems so alien to us. They seem so inherently wrong - by letting them saturate your society - you are asking for trouble
    the funny thing is everyone says the criminals already have guns, but here every criminal uses knife point instead. So I wonder why down South the criminals already have guns.

Bad address email on file Lynne's Avatar

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    Christ would never carry a sword or gun. The bible speaks out objectively against guns. Though shall not kill.
    So how about one of the disciples who cut off the guard's ear in the garden?? Was that with a sword? Even so, they probably all carried a small dagger like tool, for cutting food, not a sword, but even that small tool could be used as a weapon if needed.....

Thou shalt not MURDER, and in the Judaic law it was not considered murder if it was in self-defence, if I remember rightly. Any Torah Scholars out there??

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynne
    So how about one of the disciples who cut off the guard's ear in the garden?? Was that with a sword? Even so, they probably all carried a small dagger like tool, for cutting food, not a sword, but even that small tool could be used as a weapon if needed.....

Thou shalt not MURDER, and in the Judaic law it was not considered murder if it was in self-defence, if I remember rightly. Any Torah Scholars out there??
    And Christ condemed him for cutting off the guards ear.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For-Live: The bible does not say: "Though shall not kill." It does not say: "Thou Shall not Kill" Correctly translated the commandment says:
    "Thou Shall not commit murder." Ask any Jew.
    There is a lot of difference in killing (which in many places the Bible instructs people to do) and murder which is condemed in many places in the Bible. It is only in the newer "translations written for the sixties hippie druggie population that this is stated as "Kill".

The bible even says: "There is a time to kill..." Those so foolish as to claim that they would not defend themselves are lost. Would you have failed to defend yourself, your country or your women or your religion facing such treats as Japan and Germany? Would you watch while your wife is raped and murdered? That ain't Christian.

Chip

And a gun is a very handy thing to have if ever needed. If you waits for da Poeleese to come save you, you done waited too late.

Occupation
    v. mur·dered, mur·der·ing, mur·ders
    v. tr.

1. To kill (another human) unlawfully.
    2. To kill brutally or inhumanly.
    3. To put an end to; destroy: murdered their chances.
    4. To spoil by ineptness; mutilate: a speech that murdered the English language.
    5. Slang. To defeat decisively; trounce.

Guns are meant to kill. You do not need to protect yourself by killing. Yes, the Nazi example is a good example, and in that case murder in defence is appropriate,but we do not need to worry about that because we have a military.

However, guns can be very handy. For instance, a criminal can come into your house. If they do not already have a gun (which is seems like in Canada) they can find yours and use it. So it is handy. Handy to the criminal.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ...Those so foolish as to claim that they would not defend themselves are lost. Would you have failed to defend yourself, your country or your women or your religion facing such treats as Japan and Germany? ....

Chip
    Would you let yourself be hung on a cross?
    ...Just ask me...

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Spexvet: No, If I had a choice, unless God was my father an he told me to.

But then I am not God or the Son of God or even anything vaguely resembling same. When I have a patient who asks me to make him a prosthetic eye he can see through, I tell him there is nothing devine about me, but if he can bring me some devine spit, I will be happy to do it for him. So far no takers but I have had one O.D. who wrote a evaluation on a patient that claimed he could see 20/20 in each eye (I made one of them.) And two patients who on first seeing thier prosthetic eye in the mirror say: "Seems like I can see pretty good out of it."
    If a criminal comes into my house you can bet I will be the one who finds the gun first and I won't be trying to find a damn key for the lock.
    The Bible says not one word about guns.

For-Life: Christ did not condem Peter for having a sword.

Lynne: The Bible says the Roman's ear was cut off with sword, not a pocket knife.

The Nazi Example was used just to show some justification. Actually I think it is probably a more criminal thing to kill just because some political body tells you to (and yes I would serve if needed, although I am past that age) than to protect yourself or those you hold dear from immeadiate threat. Go down to your local corriner, or any old cop, or judge or law enforcement or even the newsstand and see the evil people do to each other and tell me guns are not needed.

For-Life: Criminals have guns down South because since Integration, the government said we have to sell them guns instead of just knives like we used to.

In the U.K. you don't have guns because in this and many ways you have allowed the government to emasculate you.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    In the UK we dont really have guns - well criminals might have.
    hmmm...sounds like a good reason for me to have one too Let's say I lived in for example New Orleans. And let's say a terrible hurricane came through and caused a lot of problems. Let's say people were trying to break into my home because they heard I was smart enough to stock up supplies. Guess I could blind them with my laser type device.

Seriously, the law abiding citizens don't seem to have to much trouble behaving themselves with the guns they own, so Idon't see the problem. We have 2 guns both locked up in the safe. My husband is teaching our 12 year old how they work so he doesn't do anything stupid.
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The purpose of a gun is defence.
    Saying that guns are for defense is like saying coffee cups are made to have things poured out of them. A shield is for defense. A gun is purely offensive, unless you're expecting bullets to bounce off it.

Handguns are basically bad news, and we would really do well to at least curtail ownership somewhat. Through what means, other than getting people to accept on their own that they don't actually need them, I've got no idea. Fat chance of that happening on its own anytime soon in this paranoid country.

And chip:

Criminals have guns down South because since Integration, the government said we have to sell them guns instead of just knives like we used to.
    Jokes like that might get big laughs at the Klan rally, but please try and maintain some pretense of manners.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Read the saying of the founding fathers, especially George Washington on this subject. They should not only be allowed they should be required. The purpose of a gun is defence. Washington gave most of the success of the county to firearms. The founding fathers felt they were the best defence the population had against the government that they were establishing.
    Just who where the founding fathers frightened of? Not the Indigenous population of the country they took over? That is like saying that all invading forces should be armed

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    King: The founding fathers were afraid of the very government they were creating. Not to mention they had verious thieves, road agents, and other low lifes as well to contend with. Much as we have today.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by karen
    hmmm...sounds like a good reason for me to have one too Let's say I lived in for example New Orleans. And let's say a terrible hurricane came through and caused a lot of problems. Let's say people were trying to break into my home because they heard I was smart enough to stock up supplies. Guess I could blind them with my laser type device.
    Karen,
    Would really kill someone over your stuff? In another thread, you talk about the emotional ramification of a woman's actions. What about the emotional ramifications of KILLING someone? The emotional remifications for the victim's family?
    Luke 6:30
    30Give what you have to anyone who asks you for it; and when things are taken away from you, don't try to get them back.

Spexvet: No, If I had a choice, unless God was my father an he told me to.

If a criminal comes into my house you can bet I will be the one who finds the gun first and I won't be trying to find a damn key for the lock.
    The Bible says not one word about guns.
    It doesn't say anything about abortion, either.

So, were all the Christian martyrs wrong? Should they have defended themselves, and died fighting rather than being fed to lions? Many became saints. Don't you think they would have had a close enough relationship with God to know whether they should fight or allow themselves to be killed?
    ...Just ask me...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Would you rather have them attack your family and home...maybe making it impossible for you to feed your family?

I think we do have a right to self defense. I also don't think that all the men and women who are serving our country are condemned to hell for participating in this or any other war...

I am not a big fan of guns.. but I do believe they have there time and place. Defense can be against humans or animals.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Bad address email on file
    You have been brainwashed by the media. Quit living in fear.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    seems like you christian conservatives want your cake and eat it. You spout the bible at us like we ought to jump through hoops, because your holy book is devine.. and then you blatantly ignore the content of it... Thou shalt not kill. All that poncing around defining killing and murder as different is just re-writing the rules to suit yourselves

So what if your ancient constitution says "guns are great, everyone should have one" Guns are made to Kill people. The poliferation of guns, can only mean more people get killed

I hate guns, they only mean trouble. If you have one in the closet... and you pick it up in anger.. do you have the constitution in you to make the right decisions? or will you react and regret?

The only place for a gun, is as a tool, in hunting, or on a farm, to humanly kill an animal for example... and the people who use those guns need to be checked for insanity, health, and purpose etc.

Bad address email on file Mikef's Avatar
    Occupation
    I don't own and never have owned a gun of any kind. (and I grew up in Vermont) With that said I see no problem in anyone owning a gun

Every gun should be registered to the owned and that person should be finger printed.

If you leave you gun out and someone gets hurt with it you should be punished

If you are caught with a gun that is not registered to you - You should go to Jail

If you are caught with a gun while commiting a crime you should go to jail first time (5 years) and life after that.

Tougher laws and punishment is all that is needed.

Thread Information