Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is the private ownership of a gun wrong?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikef
    I don't own and never have owned a gun of any kind. (and I grew up in Vermont) With that said I see no problem in anyone owning a gun

Every gun should be registered to the owned and that person should be finger printed.

If you leave you gun out and someone gets hurt with it you should be punished

If you are caught with a gun that is not registered to you - You should go to Jail

If you are caught with a gun while commiting a crime you should go to jail first time (5 years) and life after that.

Tougher laws and punishment is all that is needed.
    I have another... perhaps everyone who has a gun should test it yearly by playing russian roulette, the idioit count would be much better in a couple of years

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I don't own and never have owned a gun of any kind. (and I grew up in Vermont) With that said I see no problem in anyone owning a gun

Every gun should be registered to the owned and that person should be finger printed.

If you leave you gun out and someone gets hurt with it you should be punished

If you are caught with a gun that is not registered to you - You should go to Jail

If you are caught with a gun while commiting a crime you should go to jail first time (5 years) and life after that.

Tougher laws and punishment is all that is needed.
    Yeah, pretty much. I don't really need to own a gun, and I really don't see much point in it (hunters excepted) for civilians, but just because I personally disagree with something doesn't mean it should be outlawed. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Chairtime
    You have been brainwashed by the media. Quit living in fear.
    Got that right. Last year, I actually heard someone make the argument that they needed to own a gun, in case "Someone broke into my house with an AK-47. I'd need to defend myself!" Dude, if someone's breaking into your house with an assault rifle, you've got enough problems.

Bad address email on file Mikef's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Drunk drivers kill more people than guns do!

Should we stop selling beer?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

firearms

GEORGE WASHINGTONS FIRST ADDRESS TO THE SECOND CONGRESS

Firearms stand next to importance to the constitution itself. They are the american peoples liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The church, the plow, the prarie wagon and citizens firearms are indelibly related. From the hour the pilgrims landed, till the present day, events, occurences and tendencies, prove that to ensure peace , security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable.
    More then 99 and 99/100 percent by there very silence indicate they are in safe and sane hands. They deserve a place of honor among all thats good. When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

No, just place in mechanism to stop drunk driving. Vehicles are not produced with the intention to kill. Liquor is not produced with the intention to kill. Guns are produced with the intention to kill.

More then 99 and 99/100 percent by there very silence indicate they are in safe and sane hands. They deserve a place of honor among all thats good. When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour.
    So in a country that has very few guns I should not feel safe? Too bad that I do. Probably because I know that if I am attacked it will not be with a gun.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by harry a saake
    More then 99 and 99/100 percent by there very silence indicate they are in safe and sane hands.
    Fxxxxx me and you aint worried about the 1%.... your $hitin me

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mikef: I own quite a few guns. I have never owned a registered gun. The last man who thought and managed to get all the guns registered in his country was Adolf Hitler. Then he just sent his guns around to collect them.
    There is no problem with law abiding citizens haveing guns. As long as they are good people they will not use them except in sport or defence. Those that would commit crimes with them will not register them. What is the offence of having an unregistered gun compared to murder (except in a couple of counties in Mississippi where murder by any means does not seem to be a convictable crime.)?
    A murderer or thief is qoing to worry about a light jail sentence or fine for carrying a weapon, if he does not shrink from murder? Get Real.
    In states where citizens are permitted to have weapons, crime is actually lower, yes lower. Criminals think twice about assalting people who may be armed.
    Another statistic, accidental homicide from firearms has been on the decline since 1920 or so.
    Chip

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Chip, what you're it appears you're saying is that you think that there is an acceptable level of accidental death from guns. What number do you think that is? Say, 5000 accidental deaths annually?

Also, while fatality statistics are certainly germane to the discussion, it's important to keep in mind that not all gun accidents are fatal. For instance, a few years ago a man accidentally blew his daughter's arm off while cleaning his gun.

Additionally, what's also interesting that there are not only large numbers of accidental deaths, but in sufficient numbers to track over a century. Fascinating, considering you earlier claimed guns are purely for defense.

And while your continued Hitler-fixated paranoia (although I'd suggest you read up on Godwin's Law) is entertaining, keep in mind that registering and confiscating guns are quite different things, particularly considering you'd have to repeal a Constitutional amendment--and one of the Bill of Rights, no less--in order to successfully pull that one off.

On a side note, I find it funny that the most voiciferous supporters of 2nd Amendment rights--which a cursory reading of Jefferson's writings will tell you was to keep government from getting out of the control of the people--are basically the same group of people who have spent the last four years equating criticizing the President with treason. On second thought, that's not really very funny.

Bad address email on file Mikef's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Mikef: I own quite a few guns. I have never owned a registered gun. The last man who thought and managed to get all the guns registered in his country was Adolf Hitler. Then he just sent his guns around to collect them.
    There is no problem with law abiding citizens haveing guns. As long as they are good people they will not use them except in sport or defence. Those that would commit crimes with them will not register them. What is the offence of having an unregistered gun compared to murder (except in a couple of counties in Mississippi where murder by any means does not seem to be a convictable crime.)?
    A murderer or thief is qoing to worry about a light jail sentence or fine for carrying a weapon, if he does not shrink from murder? Get Real.
    In states where citizens are permitted to have weapons, crime is actually lower, yes lower. Criminals think twice about assalting people who may be armed.
    Another statistic, accidental homicide from firearms has been on the decline since 1920 or so.
    Chip
    I have no problem with you having guns!

You have to register a car why not a gun?

If they had tougher laws for people who commit crimes with then this would not even be an issue!

I think a lot of things that are illegal could be legal with tougher laws.

Bad address email on file
    Quote Originally Posted by George Washington
    to ensure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable.
    SHUT UP YOU CRAZY OLD GEEZER!!!

Bad address email on file
    have weapons, crime is actually lower
    You're insane!! The U.S. is saturated with guns and the number of gun fatalities is out of control. By your logic, the U.S. should have the lowest murder rate in the world. Quit polishing your shotguns, get off the farm and learn the facts, Buffalo Bill!!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairtime
    You're insane!! The U.S. is saturated with guns and the number of gun fatalities is out of control. By your logic, the U.S. should have the lowest murder rate in the world. Quit polishing your shotguns, get off the farm and learn the facts, Buffalo Bill!!!!
    Looks like we agree again!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    Karen,
    Would really kill someone over your stuff? In another thread, you talk about the emotional ramification of a woman's actions. What about the emotional ramifications of KILLING someone? The emotional remifications for the victim's family?
    Luke 6:30
    30Give what you have to anyone who asks you for it; and when things are taken away from you, don't try to get them back.

It doesn't say anything about abortion, either.

So, were all the Christian martyrs wrong? Should they have defended themselves, and died fighting rather than being fed to lions? Many became saints. Don't you think they would have had a close enough relationship with God to know whether they should fight or allow themselves to be killed?
    Nice trick Spexie, quoting scripture and the like...
    Didn't say I'd kill them. But if they show up with their own guns and want the water my family is going to need since there isn't any and I was smart enough to put it aside you can damn well bet I will defend myself.

Shooting at a burglar to protect my family is a bit different than sucking my baby down the sink with conscious forethought.

Christian martyrs are also a different story but thanks for lumping Stephen in with looters and drug addicts. I am sure he and God are shaking their heads up there and having a laugh.
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A: It isn't a question of killing someone over your stuff, it's killing someone to protect your life or the lives of those dear to you. And yes your damn right I would in these circumstances and I wouldn't lose a minites sleep over it.

B: Do your really think thieves and murder's would stop this if the civilian population didn't have guns? No they would just use other weapons that and whatever defence the lawabiding honorable population had may not just "equalize" as other weapons to a large degree depend on skill and strength.

On another subject I see that you Limey's actually proposed to outlaw Kitchen knives because appearently in the the U.K. most of your killin is done in the kitchen during disputes. Are you going to cut meat (of course you have mad cow and may not eat meat0 and vegatables with karate?

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I own quite a few guns. I have never owned a registered gun
    ... Those that would commit crimes with them will not register them.
    Chip
    Ergo: Chip commits crimes with guns
    ...Just ask me...

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi All:

Here is a case where a man was simply waiting in Mr. Swita's house to render the elderly gentleman some unknown kindness and ended up shot. You should really contact Mr. Swita and ask him if he would like to eliminate handguns.

Roy

YOUNGSTOWN — An elderly man shot a man who jumped him from behind as he was entering his house on the South Side, police report.

The suspect is in critical condition at St. Elizabeth Health Center.

Walter Swita, 83, told police he was entering his house at about 10:30 p.m. Friday after having parked his car across the street from the residence at 3003 South Ave.

He told police he has been parking across the street instead of around the back of his house since he was assaulted and robbed six weeks ago, the report said. He also told police he had been carrying a gun since that time.

The report said that as he unlocked his door and went in, the suspect grabbed him from behind. As Swita was falling to the floor, he took his gun from his pocket and shot his attacker once in the chest and once in the head, the report said.

A witness reported hearing two shots and seeing two men running across South Avenue to East Philadelphia.

When police got to Swita's house, they found him next to the phone where he'd called 911, and his attacker was lying on the floor in a pool of blood, the report said. Swita had a bump and a gash on his head and was taken to Beeghly Medical Center, where he was treated. The 44-year-old suspect, who listed an East Philadelphia Avenue address, remained in critical condition late Saturday night, the hospital said.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've never owned a gun.

I don't have a problem with others owning registered guns.

I believe handguns are made purely for shooting people.

In 1789, if you took away a man's gun, in most cases you would take away his ability to feed himself or his family. Things are different, now.

There are very few accidental knifings each year. If you take away guns, it's a lot harder to kill someone. You have to get right up close, and it takes some effort.

I would probably kill if my family were threatened with violence and I had NO OTHER OPTIONS. Running away is preferable to killing, tough guy Chip.

Gun laws should be tougher, and enforced.

Shooting, being shot, killing, getting killed, all devastate families, etc. These activities should be avoided.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Don't forget to tell the guy in critical condition that guns are for defense only. It'll probably make him feel better about his head wound--once he wakes up, that is.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

C'mon now . . . lets not go dragging politics into this discussion by bringing up Massachusetts Senator Ted Kennedy and the Chappaquiddick incident.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

perhaps to drivers yes... buts thats food for a different thread. There is a difference in intent - guns are designed to kill, cars are designed for transportation

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by spartus
    Don't forget to tell the guy in critical condition that guns are for defense only. It'll probably make him feel better about his head wound--once he wakes up, that is.
    ummm...if he hadn't been robbing an old man, he would have not received the head wound. He's lucky he didn't assualt a sharpshooter :hammer:
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I'm uncomfortable with guns and were I queen would outlaw them; given I'm not (and how did that happen???) and other law abiding citizens are for ownership, I would look at trying for a more sane policy. Believe they should be registered and gun shows where any violent felon can purchase a firearm outlawed. Safety courses for kids mandatory before they can get a license. And any crime committed with a gun should earn the convicted a big, big sentence.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    C'mon now . . . lets not go dragging politics into this discussion by bringing up Massachusetts Senator Ted Kennedy and the Chappaquiddick incident.
    Or George Bush... oh, wait, that was cocaine, wasn't it?
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet

In 1789, if you took away a man's gun, in most cases you would take away his ability to feed himself or his family. Things are different, now.
    That is a very balanced view. A gun can be a tool, or a weapon. It has little if no place at all as a tool any more. With out the strictest controls the accident rates, caused by missappropriate use, ought to prevent guns being used for leisure activites

OptiBoard Novice

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws

Thread Information