Thread: Summertime

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey all!
    I am in the middle of a week's vacation and it sure feels strange! I was away from Optiboard for 2 nights and got back on wednesday...it took me nearly 2 hours to catch up on everything. I didn't realize how much I'd miss reading posts until I was down below Atlanta at my brother's new Fayetteville house... he is NOT online! Tomorrow I head to my mom's place where she and dad are replacing an old deck with what sounds like a "super/party/get ready for our 50th anniversary next year" kind of place... she IS online, so I'll be checking in tomorrow about 11pm EDT.
    So, I'm visiting family, and catching up with friends...even donated some of my O+ today and got a cute shirt...
    Do any of you have unusual vacation plans for this year? My financial concerns have curtailed our wild dreams...but if you share yours, maybe I can have a vicarious vacation! Hope everyone is having a wonderful summer!
    jP

Bad address email on file Susan Henault's Avatar
    I can't believe that no one has responded to you yet! I guess that means we've all spent our meager vacation allotment on either visiting family or having family visit us. What's up with that anyway? All I want is a real vacation that doesn't include a graduation, wedding or funeral in it. It seems too much to ask though. I'm dreaming toward a trip to Israel in 2002, because my vacation time is spoken for until then!

Chances are that you are home and back to work by now, so I hope if nothing else you got some needed down time ;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Thanks, SUS!
    Israel would be an exciting trip!...You could look up Clive too...hey, you have 2 years to plan it, right?
    Yes, I went back to work today and was assured by many (ok, several) that I was missed...heck, one kid even quit while I was gone...she's gone back to Memphis to go to school...so I guess it wasn't my fault! My next trip away is a weekend in September back to Gastonia NC for a class reunion... Anyway...looks like it'll be awhile before I get another week off...if I'm very very well behaved...maybe near Christmas time!
    Hope everyone is having great "back to school" sales volume! jP

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Opticians get vacations?!? Now there's a concept! You mean, actual time where someone from the office doesn't call you with some crisis that anyone can solve?? Wow, where do we sign up?

Actually my wife & I were just talking about this the other night. My contention that Expo West doesn't count since both of us will end up taking classes & working the exhibit hall finally worked!! We found a nice little all inclusive hotel that we like down in Puerto Vallarta a couple of years ago & I think we'll go back for Valentines Day.

This time we won't be taking our cell phones with us! I know, we're a little bit slow! I hope you are enjoying your time off!! I does seem that most of the time we call vacation is spent visiting relatives or having relatives visit us! They're nice people & we love them, but I want some time just for us!

Frame"Never Give Them Your Cell #"bender

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Originally posted by Framebender:
    Opticians get vacations?!? Now there's a concept!
    Funny that because i thought (UK side this) that they had work breaks between the holidays due to not having to work long hours maybe 2 to 3 a day @ approx £40.00 an hour who needs to work longer and only 1 to 2 days a week but only if realy pushed :D
    boy will i cop it for this post ;)

Opps got the £ per hour wrong it should be £60.00... Opticians get just over £15.00 a test so 4 x £15.00 = £60.00

------------------
    Every day a grind
    Every week a bind
    www.iooi.co.uk

[This message has been edited by john r (edited 08-01-2000).]

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Opticians get a vacation? What a concept. Have worked about an average of 100 hrs. a week since 1960 and don't remember two weeks off uninterrupted in that time (unless you count 6 weeks for two back surgeries, which I can tell you were no vacation.) I have always measured my time off (vacation) in hours. Which probably explains my lack of social skills.

You live, you work and you die. Then if you were interesting, they tell of your antics.

Get out of this business if you want time to yourself.

Chip

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Gosh Chip, you must be very tired :)!!! I have another vacation coming up in the middle of Aug. I probably will do absolutly nothing since my trip to Biloxi in June cost my husband and I a small fortune. It was definately well worth it however!! I would love to go to Europe someday but the way things look now it will be a long time.
    Have a great day everyone!!!
    Steph

The older I get, the Less I worry about business. It will be there when I get back. I have known too many people pass away with heart attacks, high blood pressure, and other "job causing" illnesses to let it anchor this guy! ENJOY your time off, folks! You deserve it! hang it all on the rack outside the door when you leave everyday.(including those overdue 1 or 2 week mental therapy times off you call "VACATIONS"). See some country, spend time with the family, and let work be there ocassionally. Hope this advice makes some great people think just a little bit further ahead.....

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

John R,

Where do I sign up bud?!? Isn't that about $100.00 an hr U.S.?? So you folks can refract over there?

We're really not that fortunate over here. I wish we were!! I hope they're at least standing tall for the rounds at the pub!!

I hope you're having fun & making money!

Framebender

Thread Information