Thread: Compliance Issue?

Bad address email on file Lynne's Avatar

Wave Compliance Issue?

Ok, all of you who do Medicaid/Medicaire business, a quick question. A rep from a lens company gave our in-house lab manager coupons good for a promo pair of polarized lenses for each employee. Our boss is telling us that in order to be in compliance we have to buy a frame from the company at the time of requesting our promo lens be put into a frame. We cannot use a frame that we already had, whether it is an old one, or one that we had previously bought at a discount or on sale from our place of employment. She is saying this is a compliance issue with M/M. Have you heard of this???

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Why would M/M care about employees of a lab getting a pair of compted lenses from a lens company. I have worked for years with Medicaid in WA State and they have no jurisdiction over my employees. Wierd unless there is more to the story.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Promo lenses for free.................

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne
    Our boss is telling us that in order to be in compliance we have to buy a frame from the company at the time of requesting our promo lens be put into a frame.
    Looking at the frame company..........it makes sense..........by selling you a new frame they cover the cost of the promo lenses.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Looking at the frame company..........it makes sense..........by selling you a new frame they cover the cost of the promo lenses.
    I may be wrong, but the way I read it, is that her "boss" is saying that they must buy a frame to be in compliance with M/M. I am just not making the connection between the company giving the promo lenses and M/M. Or is "the company" who you must buy the frame from the company you work for?

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Our company is not paying for the lenses, and as we are an HMO, and the lenses are for all dispensing opticians, receptionists, cashiers and lab workers, (that's about 50 of us) and the job will be sent out to the supplying lab, not even made in-house, we just don't get why its a compliance issue. Methinks you may be right...... compliance is not the issue at all!!

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by EncoreJim
    I may be wrong, but the way I read it, is that her "boss" is saying that they must buy a frame to be in compliance with M/M. I am just not making the connection between the company giving the promo lenses and M/M. Or is "the company" who you must buy the frame from the company you work for?
    Got it in one!!!!!!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Your boss makes no sense at all. Lens companies don't care what frames you use for their free lenses. This whole thing doesn't make sense.

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Did the "company" pay a price in some way to the lab for the free lenses? They may be trying to make that cost back. I have seen that before.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by OpticLabRat
    Did the "company" pay a price in some way to the lab for the free lenses? They may be trying to make that cost back. I have seen that before.
    No, in fact late yesterday our lab supervisor called to apologize to me, and say don't get mad at me, its just that they want you to buy one of the newer frames that we carry!! So much for compliance.............:shiner:

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

Summary of the issue

Are you saying the outside lab that your company uses is the customer of the lens company? If so then that Lab has added the condition that you purchase a frame from them. Is this correct. Obviously if the lens company is providing the lenses and they need to be surfaced or surfaced and edged to the frame the lab has an expense associated with the lens companies promotion. I think the lab is just trying to at least cover their costs. If the lens manufacturer wanted to supply each employee with finished eyewear they would have to purchase the frame and pay for the lens preparation.

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH
    Are you saying the outside lab that your company uses is the customer of the lens company?

We have our own lab for most of the work, and our supplier gave coupons for our use, for free lenses, at the supplier's expense.

If so then that Lab has added the condition that you purchase a frame from them. Is this correct. Obviously if the lens company is providing the lenses and they need to be surfaced or surfaced and edged to the frame the lab has an expense associated with the lens companies promotion. I think the lab is just trying to at least cover their costs. If the lens manufacturer wanted to supply each employee with finished eyewear they would have to purchase the frame and pay for the lens preparation.
    In the past we have had promo lenses from the same company, and our company did not put any restrictions on which frame we used, so long as it was our RX, and for our own use. The last one was several years ago, at least 5 or 6, and since then we have had a change of management..... But, at least they could have said cost cutting, rather than blaming medicaire/medicaid compliance!!!!!

Thread Information