Thread: Basic Rx Lens Processing

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Basic Rx Lens Processing

I own an RX lab and right now many of my new employees from various departments need to be trained on basics of ophthalmic lens processing to increase their knowledge. All of my lab techs did not go through any formal education for opticians, learning everything they know through experience. Not that I have any major issue about my lab techs, but the problem is I do not have anyone I can rely on to do training except for ophthalmics professors I need to hire for to do sideline training for my people. I have to do this everytime we have new hires which is too costly not mention that the scope of the training module is quite limited. To cut it short, I wonder if somebody could share with me a training module(in power point format) on basics of ophthalmic lens processing that I could use for training. If this is not available/possible, a list of books on the topic would be of great help.
    Thanks.:)

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    It sounds like quality training is an issue world-wide.

Depending on the size of your organization, I would recommend that you look to developing one of your best techs into a trainer. Usually, I find that someone to be the one to whom everyone goes to for answers. Or, if this is not possible, then you can hire a trainer to develop your materials.

I'm sorry I can't help you with powerpoint materials. However, my absolute most favorite book for a solid overview of optics is: the TOPS manual. I think it is by Bell Labs (Michael di Santo wrote the book, I believe). I think you can get it from the National Academy of Opticians.

Are you looking for training for the machines or the optics part?

I know that fellow optiboarder, Daryl Meister, has an exceptional website for opthalmic optics (although I don't have the url right now).

I hope that helps.

Have a great day.

Karen

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

How about. . .

a good old fashioned B&L Job Coach?!? They still have alot of good information and they aren't that expensive. We use it because it actually has the formulas that are programmed into the computer programs.

I hope you're having fun and making money!!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What information are you looking for? Are you looking for the basics to help them understand what the machinery does, or why it does it a certain way? An overview of optics? How specific or general do you want it?

I would also recommend the TOPS book, and if you are just looking for basic information, I may be interested in helping to design something (currently my emphasis in my MBA program is on training, and I want to combine that with optics)

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    The book by Brook's UNDERSTANDING LENS SURFACING would be an good choice. It is no longer in print but can be purchased through the univeristy of Indiana's school of Optometry's book store. I have the exact course info. needed to order the book...I will have to look it up. Its about $35.00 and spiral bound. It has Dr. Brook's hand corrected notes in it as well (pretty interesting to see what was printed incorrectly). The book covers pretty much all you would want them to know.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Framebender
    a good old fashioned B&L Job Coach?!?
    It was a great surfacing manual, but it's been out-of-print for nearly 50 years. :( I haven't even seen any used copies around.

Quote Originally Posted by Donn
    The book by Brook's UNDERSTANDING LENS SURFACING would be an good choice. It is no longer in print... Its about $35.00 and spiral bound.
    The book you're describing is his Lens Surfacing Handbook. This would indeed be a great training manual for the beginning lab technician. For that matter, it's one of the only surfacing manuals still around. The bigger, more expensive hardbound book is the Understanding Lens Surfacing book, which is no longer available (he might be working on a second edition though; he recently updated his old edging manual).
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I agree that hiring a trainor would be a great solution. Developing one of my best techs seems a bit difficult considering issues like professional jealousy.

Hope I can get a copy of the TOPS manual. I'm sure this would really help.

Actually I need both references for machines, optics, lenses, or everything one needs to know when serving the ophthalmic lens industry. My objective is to empower my people with what it takes to be able to serve our clients beter. And I believe a great part of it is developing skills and enhancing knowledge.

Yes, I'll try to find out Daryl Meister's website.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help.

Butchie

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister
    It was a great surfacing manual, but it's been out-of-print for nearly 50 years. :( I haven't even seen any used copies around.

The book you're describing is his Lens Surfacing Handbook. This would indeed be a great training manual for the beginning lab technician. For that matter, it's one of the only surfacing manuals still around. The bigger, more expensive hardbound book is the Understanding Lens Surfacing book, which is no longer available (he might be working on a second edition though; he recently updated his old edging manual).

I bugged Dr. Brooks a few months back to see if his larger Understanding Lens Surfacing was still being published by any one. He said that he just got the ok to sell a spiral bound photocopy of it as a course manual. I recieved mine a few weeks ago. Any one who works in a lab should have a copy of this book, I just need to find the odering info for it, We just moved so its in a box some place. The smaller books accompany this larger manual. He also mentioned that he was going to extensivley rewrite SYSTEM FOR OPHTHALMIC DISPENSING which is going to be really cool.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Do you mean. . .

that finally some of the old stuff I've hung on to is worth something!! :) What about that old 1950's pump chair down in the basement?!?

I hope you're all having fun and making money!!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    My objective is to empower my people with what it takes to be able to serve our clients beter. And I believe a great part of it is developing skills and enhancing knowledge.

I think this is wonderful sentiment from an employer !! :cheers:

Here's the website of NAO with the list a list of on the job training resources (including the TOPS book).

http://www.nao.org/catalog/itemlist....pid=1&pcatid=0

I will try to find the link to Daryl's site. It's pretty amazing !!

Here's the link to Daryl's site:

http://www.opticampus.com/

Hope that helps ~

Karen

PS: welcome to optiboard !!

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Donn
    He said that he just got the ok to sell a spiral bound photocopy of it as a course manual.
    Ah, I see. You're referring to a spiral-bound copy of his big book. So is his Understanding Lens Surfacing book being reprinted at some point? It was a great text, and was the only comprehensive manual left on lens surfacing. I'll have to press him a bit the next time I run into him.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    I will try to find the link to Daryl's site. It's pretty amazing !!
    Thanks, Karen. I'm glad you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Butchie
    Hope I can get a copy of the TOPS manual. I'm sure this would really help.
    I would definitely consider getting Brooks's book as well, since TOPS doesn't really cover lens surfacing. For that matter, Brooks's big book -- Understanding Lens Surfacing -- covers just about anything you would ever need for lab work, from basic optics to pad compensation to Baume' measurement. I frequently referred to it during my stint in SOLA's product development surfacing lab.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Thread Information