Thread: In Search of Jesus... and Titans

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

I won't go into what I thought about ABC's Peter Jennings and his "Search for Jesus" on Monday night (actually, I just might in a moment ;)). However, I was amused to note the Mid Eastern nun who was shown doing needlepoint during the segment was wearing Titans! Did anyone else notice that??? Somewhere in the middle of Palestine, this nice elderly woman found an optician who sold her a pair of Titan 3 piece frames! Just struck me as interesting...

Quickly about the "show-" it was what I expect from someone like Peter Jennings. Suffice it to say that there are many camps in Christian theology... that he chose to rely on mostly liberal theologians is telling. Like most "news" shows on the major networks (e.g., recall the 20/20 episode on eyewear), they fabricated "sensational" items and then discussed them as fact...

Pete "Searching for another channel" Hanlin

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Hey Pete,

The only part of the show that I saw was the part about uncovering the rock the Marie allegedly stopped and rested on while on her way to Bethlehem. Of course no one could tell them how they found this information out nor could they prove any of it (but it must have been true because they said so ;-)

I'm sure with all of this new found fame in that area it wasn't too hard for the nun to be able to whip out a bank roll that would choke an elephant and pay cash for the Titans :-) Chad said that he saw the segment on the Jordan river. As the people were swimming around in it wearing swim trunks the camera panned over and you could see a resort that had been built on the waters edge. What a coincidence! :-)

I want to be a tour guide over there. I'm sure I'd be paid well :-) "To your right, ladies and gentlemen, you will see the concession stand that Jesus stopped at while on his pilgrimage to Macy's. He had an iced Chutney Squishy and a Coney with everything which he "Savior Sized." To our left you will see the rock where Marie sat and rested on while on her way to Bethelehem to give birth to our Savior. If you would like to purchase T-shirts that say "I saw where Marie sat." you can purchase them for $50.00 American from any of the vendors strategically located everywhere." :-)

Salvation is for sale and has become big business. People just don't think anymore including Peter Jennings :-) Oh well. I don't think the world is coming to an end I think it's going fast food (not much difference though ;-)

Darris "$10.00 for a Jesus Soap On a Rope?" Chambless

[This message has been edited by Darris Chambless (edited 06-27-2000).]

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

I was "okay" with the "debunking the myths and tourist traps" part. However, nearly every time Jennings and his "scholars" wandered into interpretation of Scripture, they took a decidedly liberal view. My major problem was the way they tried to cast the validity of Scripture in the same light as the validity of tourist traps. They also made some blatently false statements of fact.

For example, "most scholars are of the opinion that the Gospels were not written by eye-witnesses." In fact, one of the three "tests" a work had to pass before being included into the Canon (the Bible) by the Early Church involved the author's personal witness of the Gospel events. This presented some problems for Paul's writings (however, he was visited by Christ during the Damascus road experience)... The Gospel of Mark (who was not one of the twelve) is generally accepted as Peter's account, while the Gospel of Luke (another "non-twelver") is accepted as an historical summation of several eyewitness accounts.

Sorry to go off on a definitely non-optical tangent, but last night's "Search" was not only anti-JudeoChristian (which I accept and expect from a journalist such as Jennings), but it was a prime example of selective, subjective, poor journalism (which I again accept and expect from... so I don't understand why it affected me so :)).

Pete "this is why we have a 'just conversation' corner" Hanlin

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Pete,

I can tell you exactly why the story bothered you (after all I'm The Supreme Leader and should know these things :-) They (meaning journalists) have taken a subject that they have no understanding of because they have dismissed it all as a fairy tale and are trying to breathe a new life into it (for ratings). Kind of like dirty laundry. Religion is so taboo that it is not unlike witnessing a train wreck to the average person. But religion is hope, unconditional love and unity. God knows we need an awful lot of all the above if we want to survive.

Think of home made soup vs. Campbell's Thick and Chunky. Home made soup always tastes better and can cure a cold ;-) Campbell's has too much salt in it, the veggies are soggy and always makes me nauseous when I have a cold :-)

Now we will relate it back to optical. Do you know why people see better out of the glasses I make or you make? I'll tell you why; because we care about what we are doing. We are giving that home made soup to the patient and it fixes them right up. Without trying to sound corny, it's love, caring and understanding that make our glasses better. I know there are some people reading this that are retching all over themselves after reading this, BUT it is the truth. If you don't care, what you do is always wrong no matter what.

Darris "Philosophy is my middle name or at least for now it is :-)" Chambless

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Pete,

Do any of these fellows know what your first calling was? I often wonder if you didn't miss it. However the stories on this board tell me that you may have been what saved Darris and Chad!

Bev

OptiBoard Professional

AMEN and AMEN!

I am glad to see that I am not the only one who is incensed by these so called journalists.

Carol

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Bev wrote:
    "Do any of these fellows know what your first calling was?"
    Hi Bev! Hope your daughter had a great graduation and y'all had a super vacation! You missed one heck of a weekend in New Orleans, though...

For everyone else, Bev refers to the fact that my formal education is the field of Theology. I'm not so sure that my path won't turn that way... someday. For now, I find that Opticianry involves a lot of the same skills needed in the ministry (understanding people, communication, running an organization, etc.).

"However the stories on this board tell me that you may have been what saved Darris and Chad!"
    Truth be told, Darris saved my butt on Friday night (and Chad, well he's unsalvagable :D)! Really and truly, however, Chad and Darris are both "salt of the earth" kinda folks of the sort that everyone should have the pleasure to meet.

Pete "When's the next big opti-party?" Hanlin

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Hey Pete,

"Chad and Darris are both "salt of the earth" kinda folks" Does that mean we burn real bad when rubbed on wounds? :-)

Hopefully they will have a convention in the Dallas area soon. Try to make that one and we'll go eat at Salerno's in Lewisville and shoot some cue at "Speeds" in Dallas. The fun part is getting plastered and then the next morning getting up bright and early to go "attempt" to play "Photon" :-)Maybe it could be held around the Jazz Fest in City Park (if they still have it) at Denton or whip on over to the Renaissance Festival in Waxahatchi, drink a lot of Mead and play with Broad Swords :-)

Take care and thanks for the compliments,

Darris "Yup. I knew that Pete was an accomplished Theologian" Chambless

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Hey Guys...... your not going to believe this, but we actually fitted a Nun with a 3 piece Silhouette Titan a couple of weeks ago.

Could it be.............?

Clive.... from the Holy Land

Rising Star

Hi Ya'll;

I can't believe they spent the kink of money they did on that show. All they had to do was go to church and pick up a hymnal and they would have found a hymn that would have told them exactly where Jesus is.

The hymn says, "Have You Seen Jesus My Lord ? He's Here In Plainview." Plainview is a small town near Lubbock Texas. Where else would you expect to find Jesus, but out here in God's country. Good Grief.

Jim, Been to church a couple times, Seebach

Bad address email on file Susan Henault's Avatar
    I only have one question for you guys and gals -- what are you doing watching some lousy TV show when there is so much first rate entertainment right here on the board?

Sus, "Very Amused"

Thread Information