Thread: 1.6 vs 1.67

OptiBoard Novice

Question 1.6 vs 1.67

My optician gave me a choice of lenses recently to decide on.
    He said that there would not be a large difference in thickness between the 1.6 and 1.67 leneses for my prescription. -4.25 in both eyes.
    1. Is that true?
    He also had a number of lenses to choose from,
    Zeiss Claret Carat
    Hoya Eyas
    Crizal Alize
    Nikon

2.Which of the lenses do you guys recommend?
    Thanks.

Bad address email on file
    Mike, my advice is find a new optician. Find someone who you feel you can trust. Find someone who will learn enough about you to be able to recommend the right lens for you.

By the way, would this be an "online optician" or a real optician?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I love when opticians sit people down and give them 40 choices. If they are going to offer 1.6 or 1.67 they should at least give an estimation on the thicknesses of them. As for AR, why would someone offer four very similar coatings?

I feel that part of a sale is of our expertise, and sometimes we have to just tell people the best option and they have to trust you.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Mike are you by chance a dentist? (Your user name seems to indicate that).

Are these glasses going to be used at work or strictly dress or both?

Did you have a specific frame picked out?

Are you considering a photochromatic lens (the ones that change from clear to tinted outdoors).

The reason I ask these questions,
    1)If you are a dentist and plan to wear these at work coatings like Crizal Alize, Nikon ICE and Zeiss Carat Advantage offer an easy clean top coat that can reduce the amount of mouth junk that gets on the lens when seeing a patient. If you are wearing them just for dress the benefit may not be there for you.

2)If you have a frame picked out already and it is quite small/or plastic the difference between the two in edge thickness will be very small.

3)If you are considering photochromatic lenses(Transitions), your only choice in high index is with the 1.67 material.
    Last edited by Jedi; 10-25-2005 at 04:12 PM.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here's some more info. Your head spinning yet?

1.67 index of refraction lenses will be about 8% thinner than 1.60 at this power, assuming both are finished lenses (off the shelve with 1mm center thickness) with the same surface design (spheric, aspheric, etc.). If you choose 1.60, use a brand/material (Sola's Finalite or Seiko's 1.6) that has a lower specific gravity (less weight than other 1.60 materials).

Hope this helps,
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by helphelphelp
    hi,
    i have a patient with right eye -4.5-3.25x180 and left eye is -8.50-3.25x180

i would like to keep the thickness between the eyes similar.

i was thinking about 1.71 for the left eye....would poly 1.0 in the right eye make the edge thickness similar?

monocular pd is equal and frame choice has zero decentration.
    Why not surface the lower power thicker?

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    The same.

OptiBoard Novice
    Thanks for the replies.
    Yes, I am a dentist. The glasses I use are semi-rimless and I use them for both work and dress type of activities.
    From what you guys have described. I think that going with a 1.6 lens and a crizal coating will be ideal.

I just went on crizal's website and they have crizal and crizal alize listed?
    Will I see that much of a difference between the two?
    Also, what brand name lens do you guys use for yourselves?

Thanks.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by mikedds
    Thanks for the replies.
    Yes, I am a dentist. The glasses I use are semi-rimless and I use them for both work and dress type of activities.
    From what you guys have described. I think that going with a 1.6 lens and a crizal coating will be ideal.

I just went on crizal's website and they have crizal and crizal alize listed?
    Will I see that much of a difference between the two?
    Also, what brand name lens do you guys use for yourselves?

Thanks.
    The Alize is much easier to clean than the Crizal and stays clean much longer. That is the only difference.

I use the Alize. but only because I deal with an Essilor lab. I would feel very comfortable with Hoya or Zeiss.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In a semi rimless the 1.67 will look a little thinner.

Crizal Alize is easier to clean then Crizal but both are very scratch resistant. Hoya Super Hi Vision and Zeiss Carat are also excellent AR coats.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    In a semi rimless the 1.67 will look a little thinner.

Crizal Alize is easier to clean then Crizal but both are very scratch resistant. Hoya Super Hi Vision and Zeiss Carat are also excellent AR coats.
    The only concern I would have with the 1.67, is if the frame has a low "B" measurement (a shallow frame) it might be too thin to groove or have an increased risk of chipping.

Mike, I would lean toward the easier clean coating because of your occupation. Whether it is Nikon ICE, Crizal Alize, Zeiss Carat Advantage, you should find fairly equal performance.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't know about you guys but who tells every one of their patients the name of the lens manufacturer and the index of refraction of the lenses they dispensed them. It amazes me where some of these patients get this info. No offense to the poster here but do they really know all the specs on the lens their getting? IMO...if you're a good Optician, a patient shouldn't be choosing their own lenses, you should be choosing for them. Again.only my opinion..and maybe things are done differently here.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by shellrob
    I don't know about you guys but who tells every one of their patients the name of the lens manufacturer and the index of refraction of the lenses they dispensed them. It amazes me where some of these patients get this info. No offense to the poster here but do they really know all the specs on the lens their getting? IMO...if you're a good Optician, a patient shouldn't be choosing their own lenses, you should be choosing for them. Again.only my opinion..and maybe things are done differently here.
    exactly

We are supposed to show the options and make the consultant decision. Actually, in many cases I do not give a lot of options. If I am selling a higher end frame I will only go with a premium AR and if it is a thicker lens then I will go with a thinner lens. I just tell the client this is what we are going to do.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by shellrob
    The curse of the internet. Personally, I don't have an issue with clients knowing everything about the lenses they purchase. I am the same type of consumer, I need to research a group of products before I make a large purchase. (I drove my co-workers nuts when I was buying a digital camera). Where the problems do arise is when a client comes in demanding a brand and they disregard professional guidance. Brand loyalty should not trump the matching of a products feature to a clients needs.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Customers want to see. They don't want to be opticians in most cases. Giving a ton of info and options to patients is asking for confusion and many times doubt. I'm the professional. I'll fit them with the lens that best suits their RX and lifestyle. If the price is a problem, I'll give them the second best lens option, and so on. I've worked with opticians that explain every material under the sun and pros and cons of each. If I wanted a house built and the contractor gave me 50 different options for 2x4's, I'd question his expertise. You come to me, you're getting the best lens for your particular need. Sometimes Digital trivex lenses are appropriate, sometimes the best lens is CR-39 with no AR. If a customer asks, I'll tell them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    While i agree with everything you said originaleye. This thread is 12 years old..... probably don't need to drag it back up from the dead.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Maybe not, but, it does remind me of the time a petro engineer came into our office with a sheaf of paper as thick as a fashion magazine... He'd brought information on Crizal, Hoya, and Zeiss lenses, different PALs, freeform vs. conventional, indices, etc. Guy was ready to talk. Thankfully I was working that day or he might've still been with there with my coworker when I came back. I seemed to have some sort of magical rappaport with our engineer patients. Dunno why. I guess I was the only person with equal amounts intelligence and obstinacy.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Browman View Post
    Maybe not, but, it does remind me of the time a petro engineer came into our office with a sheaf of paper as thick as a fashion magazine... He'd brought information on Crizal, Hoya, and Zeiss lenses, different PALs, freeform vs. conventional, indices, etc. Guy was ready to talk. Thankfully I was working that day or he might've still been with there with my coworker when I came back. I seemed to have some sort of magical rappaport with our engineer patients. Dunno why. I guess I was the only person with equal amounts intelligence and obstinacy.
    So what did he pick?! The suspense is killing me...
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Thread Information