Thread: Please help!!! Glass lenses!!!Long one.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Please help!!! Glass lenses!!!Long one.

Ok, I have a patient with an rx of -13.75od and -13.00os. He insists on glass and doesn't really care about edge thickness. We are selling him sunglasses. His sunglasses now are glass tinted, not polarized. The tint looks pretty good, although the center is just slightly(very slightley) lighter than the edge, which he's ok with. He was interested however in getting polarized. I contacted the lab and they said we couldn't do polarized(although after the fact I'm told by a different lab that we can). I asked about high index glass and they said that it couldn't be tinted. They checked and checked and finally came back with regular glass and said they could tint it but it would be slightly darker on the edge than in the center. I thought that would be ok since that is what he has now. Ok,...well the glasses come back and of course they're thick which the patient doesn't care about(15mm thickness). However....the tint is absolutley horrific. It's pitch black on the edges and barely tinted in the center. It's by far the owrse pair of lenses I've ever seen. Anyhow, I had another lab rep come in and of course he says that we can do the polarized and also that we can have some type of tinted coating added to the lens(he says it's kind of the same process as applying a mirror coating) but that it wouldn't be warranted. First, I'm mad about the polarized because that's what I wanted to order in the first place and was told I couldn't but someone else says yes. I just don't know what to do. I CANNOT give these glasses the way they are now to the patient...they look that bad believe me. So, can I get polarized?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The reason why the other lab may have said no, was due to the risks invovled with this set up. Many people don't like dealing with glass period. The risk of breakage, both in lab and on the patient are higher than most. Then with Polarized Glass, they can not be tempered in any way. It is this reason that many labs refuse to either work with the material, or will only do a limited range.

If the lab is willing, and you and the patient are willing to take the risks associated with a high script in untempered glass.. then take it.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by shellrob
    So, can I get polarized?
    Do you remember those word problems you would get in math class in middle school? This is an example of a question where the answer is "Not Enough Information."

Frame size.. Eye DBL, B, ED.

Entire Rx w/ PD.

Adam

Occupation
    Shellrob,

Tough call. Obviously that kind script would warrant some other kind of material, but as you explained, we won't beat that dead dog*.

Are tinted glass with a polarized clip an option? I think edge thickness vs. color variation is going to be a problem. If a lab says they can do it and make it look good, tell them to step to the plate and do it. Have an agreement that if they look acceptable, you will pay for them. If not acceptable, then no deal. Some labs will say they can't do it because the likelyhood of breakage is high to get an acceptable pair and by the time they add up all the costs its not worth it.

Maybe the coating w/o the warranty will be the best option, but I would definately inform the patient.

*No dead dogs were harmed in the writing of this email.;)

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by EncoreJim
    *No dead dogs were harmed in the writing of this email.;)
    How about living dogs?

Adam

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry about fogetting the frame measurements. 54/19 Patients pd is 63.0.

Patient doesn't really care whether or not the lenses are polarized, he was bascially just asking because so many people had told him they were better. Anyhow, I basically just want a glass tinted sun lesn that looks decent enough to give my patient. Yea, the lab that made these crappy lenses also charged me 156.05. I wouldn't mind the charge if they actually looked good. I'm thinking also I should call the rep and have him come and help me out here as I really do like him.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Optical
    How about living dogs?

Adam

Nope! No living dogs mentioned or harmed.:shiner:

Jim

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Three Rivers Optical Lab can do Glass Polarized. As long as the patient doesn't mind paying $650. - $750. for lenses. They do excellent work though.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually yes Three Rivers did say they could do it but the "other" lab said no. Is it because they cannot be tempered, is that the other lab's reasoning? Hmmmm....I just don't know what to do.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Send em back to whoever made them and say they are unacceptable and you expect and want better

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Polarized is going to be thicker because it's not available in the correct base curve for this Rx, that being plano or a +.50. That leads to cut out problems because there is a finite thickness available and this is going to be one thick lens in a 54mm eye. Probably to thick to cut out unless you decrease the eye size. FramesData lens book (notoriously inaccurate) shows a X-CEL glass polarized in a +3.25 as the flattest BC. Should be reasonably uniform density because the polarizing laminate has all or most of the tint.

Another good choice is X-CEL's laminated increased index glass. The books shows it available in 1.6, 1.7, and 1.8 index. Flattest base is plano and would also be uniform density.

Regards,
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

C10

Bend there, did that. Your client will not thank you for no matter what you do for him in glass. Bring him in show him the job and tell how much you could do better in plastic. If still insist in glass get rid of him and move on you will be better off

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am just curious, have you weighed these glasses? I can't imagine 15 mm thick glass lenses in a 54 eye frame. How does he keep his glasses up, does he wear a strap?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I believe that you possible can sell the patient a pair of the new 1.74 index from essilor, and thickness, clarity, and with a tint would be the best option for this patient. Most likely it would cost the same as a polaroid glass and without any liability.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The glasses are very very heavy but he does not care. He will not budge on the glass issue. I've tried and tried for 5 years with this patient. Plastic isn't an option, he tried them and he hated them(says he cannot see good with plastic lenses). I am going to have him come in and take a look at these glasses though and show him how thick they will be and how bad the tint looks. The lab will not remake them for me as told to me yesterday even though they look so bad. When the lab tech and I were discussing the lenses before they were made he did tell me there would be a slight variation in the tinting on the lenses which I already knew because of his previous glasses but this job shouldn't even have left the lab. After they looked at the outcome, in my opinion, they should've called me and told me how bad they looked before sending them to me.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    why not a surface vacum coating tint on a 1.8 lens?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think the vacuum coating is what Three Rivers was offering me along with the polarized lens. But they said they couldn't warrant is either.

I would love to tell you what lab but I won't because I know they have some people that are regulars on optiboard and I don't want to slam anyone. I'm just becomming more and more disappointed with this lab as time goes on. It's like eveything was good at the beginning, we got everything so fast and the glasses were great and then as time as gone on, things are getting longer and longer to get and the quality isn't as good. Maybe they've had a turn around in employees I don't know.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    forgo the waranty, and explain to the patient that they will have to forgo thier waranty too, especcialy as the patient is steering you away from your professional choice. Perhaps sugest this before ordering the lenses!

By the way, in the UK, a few of the "big-named manufacturers" would make this RX, with the surface tint - so going direct to Hoya or Rodenstock or Zeiss, might do the trick

Thread Information