Thread: Tinting info

Bad address email on file

Lightbulb Tinting info

Can anybody tell me where I can go to get color tint info.
    Like the why gray, why brown question answers. So that
    I can share this information correctly with my co-workers.
    I understand the transitions and polorized I need info and
    the simple stuff. Some of the opticians I work with don't
    know why they are puting people in certain colors and I would
    like to give them some info that can help them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mirandaok
    Can anybody tell me where I can go to get color tint info.
    Like the why gray, why brown question answers. So that
    I can share this information correctly with my co-workers.
    I understand the transitions and polorized I need info and
    the simple stuff. Some of the opticians I work with don't
    know why they are puting people in certain colors and I would
    like to give them some info that can help them.
    http://www.abdo.org.uk/pdfs/CET%2036...ber%202003.pdf

here is an excelent article

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Course next year

I am course leader for 20 week post grad course on clinical effects of illumination and visual stimulus (based Uk) starting next September. The effects of tints are many and varied and it is essential that all optical professionals have at least a basic knowledge. Lack of knowledge causes not only visual performance difficulties for patients, but the evidence is growing that many neurological, mapping, sequencing and other conditions are directly effected by the lenses prescribed.
    In a phrase - all patients are entitled to know that any lens with a filter is either has been prescribed to be either neutral or beneficial. They should also be advised as when they need a filter to achieve optimum performance. If you cannot say this then you should find out how!!!!!
    The days of suck it and see are over.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Color Keys vs Technical

When PPG started active research on plastic photochromics but before pilot product projects (in the late 70's) we were (and still are) heavily involved with all technical aspects of color and optics. At our first trade show we quickly found that our representatives were talking so far over peoples heads we had to retrench our thinking. Very few people wanted to know about color and specific tasks or health related questions...this industry was fashion driven! Beat that. The P.hD. I worked for was so pumped for our first shows, and when all he was asked was fluff questions he was devastated.

Around 1981 or so there was heavy education emphasis on color keys (you know, the four season approach to matching people with color..ok who is an autumn, or maybe a spring...what do you mean I have blue undertones! I eat right, my heart is in good shape!). We had our color experts from PPG automotive come in and give us updates on what the fashion industry was going to unleash in color, texture, fabrics in the next 3 to five years. Now we could actually talk to customers in something they understood...and after color key training most of us dressed a little better too. That is a major deal in a R&D center....when we went out, my wife did not have to send me back to change as often as before..

What we do now is have technical papers on health and optics related topics available for those inclined and have the reps trained on basic color applications for sports, hobbies, fashion and lifestyle questions.
    My rule of thumb and observations...for fashion most people look much better in brown tints than grays. Gray calls attention to wrinkles while brown gives a better glow to skin tones. To me, the world looks better through a neutral brown tint..but many of my co workers go for neutral gray. I have an old set of salmon colored lenses made by Intercast that are great for winter sports and driving in the snow. From what I understand, the same lens color was used by the 1988 Italian Olympic Ski Team. I dont look good in that color for everyday use.

In Asia, certain shades and tint darkness of brown are tied to criminal gang affiliation. It has crossed over to the US with immigrants. We were in the process of choosing the hue for 1.50 Next Generation Brown should be when one of our several longtime Vietnamese of Chinese descent production team members came by and told us he would not be able to wear one of the browns under consideration because it would look bad for his family. That was not the main reason we kicked that color of brown to the curb but we did appreciate that kind of input.

After all this, what I wanted to relay to the poster was look into Color Key training for the staff and get the technical from your sales reps.

Ian,
    Good paper, thanks for attaching it.
    Jim
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thread Information