Thread: No AR; cloudy vision?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

No AR; cloudy vision?

A woman bought some glasses from us, she was unhappy with previous glasses she had bought elsewhere. She remembered she had gotten glasses before that were Varilux and was happy with them and wanted them again. To save money she skipped the AR coat she had had on her two previous pairs. She has the beginnings of cataracts.

Optician put her in Varilux Comfort in poly in her own frame.

She came in for a recheck yesterday and the doctor found almost the same precscription. She was seeing 20/30 with new glasses, but was seeing 20/20- with new rx. I don't remember if the doctor checked her vision through the phorapter with the rx in her new glasses. Very little difference, though.

She is complaining vision is cloudy. She claims that it wasn't with other glasses, so it wouldn't be the cataracts. (or is it?) Fitting crosses are perfect, right on pupil.

She is coming back on Thursday(the next day I work) with her old Varilux glasses, and the lenses we removed from her frame. I am going to check lens material, which Varilux, fitting of previous lenses, and rx. I am planning to trial frame her with both new rxs.

Any other ideas? Could the lack of an AR coat make the lenses seem "cloudy"?
    She swears other lenses weren't cloudy so I wonder if it is the lack of AR.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    bet she was in Orma crizal before!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Base curve or lens material .....?

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    Any other ideas? Could the lack of an AR coat make the lenses seem "cloudy"?
    She swears other lenses weren't cloudy so I wonder if it is the lack of AR.
    Occasionally I use a pair SV Poly lenses for certain close up work. No AR. When I am putting them on I get the same feeling of slightly "cloudy" however the feeling goes away after a while. I am switching fro CR39 which is my standard preference.

Could be the base curves or the material we are not used to.........to which I classified it.

But it is an interesting point.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Occasionally I use a pair SV Poly lenses for certain close up work. No AR. When I am putting them on I get the same feeling of slightly "cloudy" however the feeling goes away after a while. I am switching fro CR39 which is my standard preference.

Could be the base curves or the material we are not used to.........to which I classified it.

But it is an interesting point.
    Im not sure what you call it in the USA, but Orma Crizal would be Essilor's branded MAR coated CR39 in the UK

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good chances are that it is the cataracts causing the cloudiness. The two go hand in hand. However, the ar does get more visible light in to the retina. So lack of ar is going to contribute to decreased vision. The refraction is done in a reflection free manner thereby allowing best possible correction to be achieved. This would explain 20/20 in new rx and 20/30 in new glasses. In order for us to duplicate refraction ar, i believe, is a necessity. Someone that has compromised vision should not be wearing a poly lens. I would consider switching to cr39 or trivex. Just my opinion. Good luck!

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am thinking the other optician put her in poly because that is what she had in her other lenses. I am certainly going to check the materials in both her previous lenses. She wears about a +2.50 in the distance, so an aspheric lens would be good. She was trying to save money....sometimes people try to save in the wrong way. A pair of glasses worn 16 hours a day 365 days a year is not the best place to cut back.

Is the mid index Varilux fully aspheric?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I am thinking the other optician put her in poly because that is what she had in her other lenses. I am certainly going to check the materials in both her previous lenses. She wears about a +2.50 in the distance, so an aspheric lens would be good. She was trying to save money....sometimes people try to save in the wrong way. A pair of glasses worn 16 hours a day 365 days a year is not the best place to cut back.

I do not know the whole case, but if you need to make cutbacks then go for a less expensive frame. Or even from the Panamic to the Ovation or Adapter.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No. Ask the lab for PAL designs that have best form base curves around +5.25 for this +2.50 Rx.

I always have an uncoated PAL at the table to show my clients the difference between coated and uncoated. My vision is foggy/cloudy with the uncoated pair.

Regards,
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Thread Information